Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flippers and Keepers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Hay, Dec 12, 2016.

1. I'm at a weird place right now with my project I just got on the road. I really do like how my 40 Sedan turned out, (See build thread HERE) but even though I've enjoyed it, I have no motivation to 'finish' it, and I have had a serious wandering eye. What I mean is I'm having trouble fully enjoying a running hot rod because I keep thinking about what I could sell it for, or what I could trade it for. I have two small kids and a new baby on the way, so this car is a little too "raw" of a hot rod for them, so that is part of the issue, but it will be a while before they will all ride with me places. For reference, here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

I already have a "keeper". My dad built this 38 in our attached garage throughout the 70's and finished it 1982. He passed away from cancer in 2006 so the car came to me. Now I want to make changes to the car, but I could never entertain getting rid of it. There is so much of my dad's blood sweat and tears wrapped up in it. But the 40, on the other hand, not so sentimental. Here's the 38 Coupe:[​IMG]

Am I crazy? I've imposed a six month waiting period to see if I'm just in a funk.

What about you? Are some cars lifelong family members, and others just a stair step to the next one?

2. subdajj

subdajj

The 40 could be a good family car, plenty of room for the kids. I say wait

Dan Hay and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. I would be proud to drive that '40. Keep it.

Dan Hay likes this.
  4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Finish it to the quality of the 38. Like subdajj said, Tudors are great for kids, especially smaller ones because once in, they can't get out, no rear door to worry about opening.

Dan Hay likes this.

5. Abomb

Abomb

Totally up to you, of course...But you've nailed the look and stance on the 40. I understand what you mean about being too rough and raw for kids...they're always into, around, and under everything. I'd definitely consider trading that car for a nicer, maybe later model driver. I had just about finished my 1959 El Camino when my wife announced that we were in "the family way"...I sold it pretty much right away and started in on a 1956 Chevy 210 4 door wagon. I had it running and driving, with seat belts and a car seat before the little one showed up. It was rough on the outside, but clean and relatively safe on the inside.

kiwijeff and Dan Hay like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

I buy and sell cars all the time, sometimes that's part of the fun. Some I finish, some I just do some work on and get bored, some I don't do anything to and they get sold because something else comes along. Lots of trades too, swap one car for another, or swap a car toward some work on another project. I had a '32 5w coupe for one day, and I have a '33 5w now that I know I'll never build into a car, but just putting the body together to say I had one, like bragging rights.

If it's more fun to sell or swap it, do that. I've never really regretted selling any of the ones I sold or traded, there's always something new to find and that can be fun too. Although with kids, the '40 sedan does seem like a perfect, logical choice, and if you only have the two cars, that's not too many to deal with.

partsdawg and Dan Hay like this.
  7. My dad bought and sold Hot Rods all the time, (except for the 38 coupe) so maybe I got my wandering eye from him. It was cool to have a different Hot Rod around every few months as I was growing up.

30TudorSedan and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

I'll second Abomb's comment about you nailing the look and stance! I think your six month's holdoff is a great idea. Something may come along in that time frame that really works both for you and the family and if not, you'll still have the '40 and can decide your next move then. Regards, Dave.

Dan Hay likes this.
  9. belair

belair

Not to say you haven't or don't, but maybe it's time to put your blood, sweat and tears into a car like your dad did. Whether the 40 is The One, only you can say. One day it is possible that your kids will have the same attachment to you through a car they saw you build, just like you (and I) do with our fathers. Logically, the 40 would seem to check all the right boxes, but logic and passion don't always show up at the same time and place. Maybe a wagon, or tone down the 40. Or set it aside for later (for that dad and kid build) and start another car that you can play with and flip. But remember-good cars like that 40 are getting fewer and farther between. I'm keeping my 55 and Model A because they're the last ones I'm going to find in the condition they're in.

Dan Hay likes this.
  10. I've thought about that, but this car was a total field car that people had passed over for years. I've repaired a lot of the rust, but it's not a nice enough car to "finish". And, because I've learned on this car, there are things on it I would do differently, and I really don't have the ambition to re-do anything. I'd rather trade it for something nicer.

11. belair

belair

If you don't love it, you don't love it. Since it's just a car to you, I hope it brings you the next big thing. And I love your 38.

47ragtop and Dan Hay like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I just sold my 55 that I had over 20 years, put a lot of miles on it...one of my kids said "you sold my childhood!" Oh well. But I still have the truck I got when I was 15, and my Suburban, and my Chevy II. I also bought and sold a few other cars recently, fixed them up first to the point that they needed a lot of expensive/time consuming cosmetic work, that I didn't feel like doing.

Don't worry, it's perfectly normal to not know what to do with old cars.

kbgreen, lothiandon1940 and Dan Hay like this.
  13. Glad I'm normal! Haha..

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Dan,our twin girls grew up riding in the back seat of a black 40 DeLuxe sedan,we went to several NSRA nationals,cruise ins and even vacations and enjoyed that car as much as any over the years.

Add to the fact I had a Mullins trailer for all the gear,cloths,tools.etc and we had the perfect family hot rod and the kids had a ton of room in the back seat. HRP

Dan Hay likes this.
  15. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I don't have a sentimental bone in my body.
    I'm selling them before I buy them.

dogwalkin and Dan Hay like this.
  16. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

The 40 looks finished enough for me. It's hard to juggle the time and cash when you have more than one hot rod. Something's gotta take a back seat. Heck I never seem to finish any of them. Maybe some day. The 38 is beautiful by the way.

Dan Hay likes this.
  17. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Wish it was mine -n- you had a better one.
    Wish i was rich then i'd say flip it, right over here to ME.

Dan Hay likes this.
  18. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Wait it out a bit, your desire for the car will likely kindle again.

Dan Hay and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. ,,,kinda know the feeling, your 40 turned out really cool, the 38 I've always liked since I talked to your dad about it way back when he got it going,(my wife and I called your dad's car "purple Hays")...always liked 37-8 Chevy coupes....good luck with whatever you decide....you could fix up the sedan to be comfy inside pretty reasonably, ...lately I like "rough, unfinished " cars better than pretty ones, really like your 40.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Dan Hay likes this.
  20. Sometimes our 'position' or where we are at in our life at a given time dictates decisions and actions we arrive at- I have had cars that I have sold that later I wished I still had. Hindsight is always 20/20 and we tend to view the past through rose colored glasses. When I find myself waxing nostalgically about a past vehicle- I make a point of telling myself why I made the decision to sell it in the first place. Never fails to bring back my confidence in the original decision
    When you come to decision- it will be the right one for you. Whatever you decide- both cars are damn cool and I'd be proud to own or 'have owned' either one of them .

Dan Hay likes this.
  21. brady1929

brady1929

I like it and would keep it. Just out of curiosity, do you have a dream car?

Dan Hay likes this.
  22. tractorguy

tractorguy

"two small kids and a baby on the way". Not sure if you are the energizer bunny needing projects to work on constantly, but looking back at my life and raising two daughters, I personally wish I had spent more time with them when they were young.......and less time on old iron and racing. You blink and they are grown up and/or teenagers (save some energy and patience for that !!). The projects will always be available.......and you may REALLY need projects in the garage when both you and your wife are retired......and in the same house 24/7 !!

BTW......love your dad's car and it is 100% keeper.....family....family....family

kbgreen, rd martin, clunker and 3 others like this.
  23. Roadsir

Roadsir

Looking back......when my two daughters were young I was trying to pull off a full ground up build, (that ended up taking 8 years) and we ended up not going to as many events as I would've liked too.....I should've just bought a ratty sedan, or wagon, and just had a bunch of fun....
    The 40 is a perfect young family car. Put an Indian blanket or vinyl seat cover interior, maybe some door cards, maybe a small block v8 and 8" rear if you need more reliability. Let them have all the cheerios, snacks, drinks, toys, and hose it out when your done. If you decide to sell or swap....move into a driver 50's 60's Wagon or big 2dr with AC for the wife to keep peace in the family. :)

30TudorSedan, tractorguy and Dan Hay like this.
  24. 32-34 Ford, but I'd be pretty happy with a 58 Chevy.

25. @Roadsir 50-60's wagon or hardtop is what I was thinking about. Something that's more comfortable and has AC.

The whole point really is that the family will want to go in the hotrod/custom. I know my family and they are not hardcore when it comes to cars. My kids whine when I roll the windows down on a nice day! Haha.

I want to make memories they remember fondly instead of dread.

26. I bought this 55 ford to flip and drove it to the HAMB drags one year. Your brother pulled into the field with his 56 GMC pickup and parked next to me...liked the 55 and ended up buying it. It's one I wish I'd kept just because it was a 272 that didn't leak at the rear main!
    All it needed was a new front crossmember and he replaced it before he sold it..love to have it back. 55ford4small.JPG

Tim and Dan Hay like this.
  27. @Rocky I tried to figure out how to buy that 55 from Chris but I was unemployed at the time. That was a neat car.

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

X2 - as you know, Kids need to travel with tons of stuff - a wagon would be great - could always go for a earlier Hot Rod as they get a bit older - need a reliable comfortable ride for the taking the family out & about so that they will want to be part of your world

Dan Hay likes this.
  29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Why in the hell would you want to change anything on that '38??!!