Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Creative dash knobs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Wow!!! Thanks for the link @K13. That guy's work is incredible! Sure makes me feel like I'm all thumbs! He uses lots of different colors of plastic I've never seen before. Definitely gives me some inspiration and something to work towards! E

michael knight likes this.
  2. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

If you google Tap Plastics, you will find all kinds of ideas. They sell supplies to make cool plastic stuff with.

Kan Kustom and loudbang like this.
  3. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Man, I am totally digging those old bakelite radio knobs!....I've tried re-threading a few for 'indoor' stand-up radios, but always end up doing more damage than good...or cracking the bakelite in the process! They would add a certain 'vintage' aspect to an older dash of a car for sure!....I love the idea, and think I'm gonna check around for some ....and keep trying my hand at re-threading, because they look utterly cool in my opinion;)

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hey OG,
    Those knobs are excellent...keep up the great work. It is always nice to be able to make something and that it looks great. I made one exactly (maybe a little larger) like your red/white one and gave it to my brother for his 58 Impala. He used it until he was given a pure white ball from one of his HS friends. Yes, the teacher was very cool. I am sure he is gone now, but for being 1958-59, he was the kind of teacher we all would like even today. Those classes are all gone now and the whole curriculum is geared for college bound students. Nothing wrong with college, but it is not for everyone. There needs to separate courses to learn practical things for everyday life + the basics. More elective classes make for happier teenagers and most parents.
    Jnaki

Barn Hunter, loudbang and OG lil E like this.
  5. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

These are the ones I made. [​IMG][​IMG]

To chop, or not to chop. That is the question.

Barn Hunter, Lil'Alb, fauj and 21 others like this.
  6. donno

donno

Had a set of black / white dash knobs on my 48 Plymouth like the ones shown. Jerrys auto parts, Yakima Wa. 1958, about $ 5.00 a set I believe. I'm going to try and make my own.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  7. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

That set looks awesome Kustomkid, exactly what this thread is about. And thanks for the links to the custom shift knobs....those are all works of art. The red and white one looks great too. I'm sure whoever gets it will be very happy.

loudbang and OG lil E like this.
  8. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Search for pen blanks and you'll find all sorts of interesting material that would work for knobs.

9. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

They were easy to make. I ended up using super glue to glue the pieces together. The radio knobs, I cut out the centers so there wasn't as much to grind out. [​IMG][​IMG]
    These were the most time consuming. I used 1/8" white and 3/16" green. If anyone is doing knobs similar to the hirohata merc, Bob used a piece of 1/4" in the center then he other sizes. I didn't realize that until after I got most of my knobs done. Would have filled in the radio gaps better.

Barn Hunter, ChefMike, czuch and 4 others like this.
  10. I'm curious @Kustomkid, what did you use to grind out the centers? I've made knobs before for heater controls and radios, but I've always had a heck of a time with that part.
    I've used a Dremel with tiny jewelry bits but they always seem to get clogged up with melted plastic from the heat created. I have to stop and try and clean them and get going again. Even at low speeds it does this--one time, one of the little tips actually broke off inside the radio knob. Had me talkin' to myself that day.
    So, what's the trick? E

Kustomkid and loudbang like this.
  11. aircoup

aircoup

plexiglass works too assorted colors glued and shaped and polished

12. Kustomkid

Kustomkid
    from Montana

I just used a bandsaw to cut the centers before glueing the outer pieces on. The used the dremel with a jewlers bit to grind out the sides to fit them.

13. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if this fits with the knobs theme but I didn't like the look of the ignition key stuck in the middle of my dash panel so I ground a key down to size and screwed a matching knob onto it. It looks pretty good I think and was easy to do.

Attached Files:

14. loudbang

loudbang

See it better this way. It does that when your image is HUGE

20161212_165240 (1280x720).jpg

Barn Hunter and kiwijeff like this.
  15. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks! I wondered why it was doing that? I figured if it doesn't crap out on the download then it must be ok!:D

16. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

If ya wanna find out its Bakelite, go over to your kitchen sink and run them under some warm water. If they smell like formaldehyde...Jackpot!

loudbang and michael knight like this.
  17. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Oh boy, you are right! You posted this on Monday, and by Thursday, I'm sitting here looking at a collection of cool material, planning to make a whole set of knobs for my Studebaker. That odd shape at the top is going to be a shift knob, and the maroon material on the far right will become dash knobs.

[​IMG]

I tried working with the stuff as soon as it arrived, and made a set of scales for a straight razor (far left). The stuff is dead easy to shape and polish.

I ordered a box of 35 pen blanks from this site. Each is 7/8 by 7/8' and 5.25" long. (standard pen blanks are a bit narrower) I didn't pick the colors, as they sell the boxes cheap to get rid of closeout items. But they sent me five sticks each of seven different colors, so I can make a set of dash knobs in any color they sent. They also sell a "project blank" that is 1.5" by 1.5" by 6" long, which is large enough for a couple shift knobs or other larger items.

Thanks for the suggestion, 31Apickup!

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/6/6845/Pen-Makers-Choice-Box-of-Acrylic-Pen-Blanks

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in 1962/62 the teacher I bought my 51 Merc coupe from (in 63) had his crafts shop students making laminated shift knobs as one of the projects in class. I never took his class but those guys were making some great looking knobs that year.

OG lil E likes this.
  19. orange52

orange52

Anyone tried making dash knobs with a 3D printer? A friend recently got into making custom ink pens. We were talking yesterday and he's said he's getting a 3D printer. Makes me wonder if it will work and if so, will it look as good.

PapaVolume and loudbang like this.
  20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Cowboy Ted, I came across some of those blanks in a woodworkers store one time, didn't know how popular turning pens is. Thought they'd make great knobs, I want to make some for my coupe. You'll have to post your finished product. I built some architectural models using acrylic, pretty easy to work with. Later I made the whole dash in my 31 pickup laminating pieces together, then painted it. I'll have to post up a picture later.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20161217_142319.jpg 20161217_142418.jpg
    This is my wifes shoe box so she made the cool choice on the dash knobs . I was pondering how to turn them down ,from the bunch of old vintage acrylic grapes .A lathe just got messy as several had cracks and off set hang wire inserted. She said what about the bench ginder. So moved it outside got comfortable and ground and polished away. Did the door knobs too. Though she has ideas for casting some clear acrylic tiki knobs next.

22. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

After my box of cool plastic arrived, I couldn't wait to start playing. I finished my shifter knob last night. After turning it to shape, I decided to mount a bit of mosaic pin into the hole where the live center held the fat end of the knob steady. I think it turned out great. Sadly, photographs don't look nearly as cool as real life, since you don't get the pearlescent effect in a still photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

The things a guy can make knobs out of are endless. I will be watching this thread closely.

Barn Hunter likes this.
  24. Awesome

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

K13 and OG lil E like this.
  26. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

It's twenty below zero outside. That means it's a good day to play inside . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom