Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm back - 56 Chevy handyman wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scott mckelvey, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Since selling my Model A pickup, I've been out of the car game (bikes only). I did have a 57 Chevy hardtop belair for a spell a year ago, but it was fleeting.

I've been looking for a decent tri-five wagon since before I sold the Model A. I firesaled some bike stuff and was able to strike a deal with PO of this wagon.

It is what it is. Body could be worse, but could be better. Fresh build in its current config (motor, trans, rear axle, front clip, etc). As I understand it, it was an old race car, but not like it is now.

Work done seems mechanically sound, but a tad crude, so there's plenty of work to do if I choose.

I drove it quite a bit today. I expected the worst, but it's actually quite enjoyable. Seems to handle well. Brakes work well. Rides pretty nice.

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I love it. Keep us posted, maybe do a build thread.:D

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Ain't a damn thing wrong with that! I'd cruise that thing 'til the cows came home! Congrats!
    (wish I could turn my bike into something similar:D)

chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  4. Cool. Small block? More pix!

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

That will work! Are you the middle child or the PO?

6. Maybe the neighbors don't get it, perhaps the school board seem puzzled but we get it. That Chevy is is great.
    Toss a neat scoop over the carbs to keep the winter weather out of it and haul.
    Love it!

7. '56 150

'56 150

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm a HUGE 56 Chevrolet fan, only on number TEN now! And, I'm a MIDDLE CHILD (fits me too). I have a good friend that I've know since 1962, 6th grade, Mr. Warren's class at Beverly Park Elementary School (how's that for a memory?). He ALWAYS had Wagons or Sedan Deliveries in high school and afterwards, always with an axle under the front. Your car would probably make him cry with joy. He now deals in 55-57 Chevrolet cars AND parts. My current is a Sedan Delivery; I've had 4 of those. With the exception of your simulated "spoked spindle mounts", it looks right out of the 60's. The only 56 Chevrolet I have't had that I've wanted, is a 56, Model 150, Handyman Wagon. Not for the lack of trying. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. that is the cat's arse! HRP

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats

loudbang likes this.
  11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Neat wagon! Don't see too many '56 handyman wagons.

12. belair

belair

You coulda done worse.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  13. see below
    Middle child was a '56 reference, as compared to the 55 and 57.

Agreed, those wheels and the Moon tank are about the only aesthetic choice I don't love about the car.

So, here's what I know. And some pis are here https://goo.gl/photos/jC4A9Fit4UmGGJwg6
    • Freshly built '68 396. PO knew builder and says it's like 13:1, and a healthy but not too radical cam. Weiand intake. Edelbrock 1405s. Vintage valve covers.
    • Freshly built Muncie. Same builder as motor. Old Hurst V-gate shifter.
    • Rear is supposedly a built 8.5", also new. Moser axles, 4.10:1
    • Body is OK. I've seen far worse. All the glass is pretty good. OG rear seat, and front seats are ?????
    • PO said it was an old race care he purchased without a motor or trans. PO installed front clip and a Speedway straight axle kit with GM spindles and Vega box. Steering and brakes working well.
    • Tilt front end is original sheet metal (but Belair fenders I think b/c of trim holes) bolted together. It aint the prettiest, but it seems solid.
    • 15gal fuel cell in the tire hole, elec pump.
    • Front wheels (I don't love) are ET with new tires.
    • Rear wheels are steelies with new Hurst cheater slicks.
    Car seems to handle well, and run great UP TO about 3000rpm. Then it falls on it's face and starts back firing, bucking, and all manner of bad behavior. PO told me "it has a misfire above 3000". I'm thinking there's a simple timing or fuel issue (my gut tells me timing), but I haven't had a chance to dig in yet.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  14. Big block. 4 speed. You're speaking my language! Hope you can bring it to the Jalopy showdown in May.

lothiandon1940 and hipster like this.
  15. Deucecoupe

Deucecoupe

Nice 56 !
    And a big block with a 3rd pedal !
    Me like !

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

.........and Im a tri five guy, but never heard that one before, Perfectly appropriate tho.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  17. I like it!!!! Are you going to make her street legal?ThanksBruce.

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

tri 5 wagons are cool

20. Looks like a cool project. Good luck with it.

21. Nice Handyman wagon! Keep us posted.

22. that is just cool and the big block and 3rd pedal makes it all that. Have fun with it

23. Butch M

Butch M

24. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

Good luck. Wondering with 13:1 compression, what do you use for fuel? Could the lack of power after 3,000 rpm be detonation?

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Did a thorough timing. Synced and tuned the carbs (at least better than they were). Car is really starting to wake up. Plus it's quite streetable. Still need to do a little more tweaking- if I stomp on it below 3k it stumbles, then catches up. If i stomp it above that, or gradually push the peddle it's fine.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Careful getting the top in tuned in just rite not to spill the lower:D

27. thehazguy

thehazguy

28. loudbang

loudbang

Moves out pretty good.