Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Dragstrip rosin, Hydro-Motive Hydromatic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KCTA Chris, Dec 10, 2016.

1. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Reading the install instructions on my Hydro project when it mentioned running through rosin. I assume this was early traction aid at the strip but never heard it called that before. Was it like baseball rosin? Just powder thrown on the ground After burn out box? When I would see old footage of the guys wiping tires down on a dragster before stage, I thought they were wiping them clean, were they applying more rosin? Curious.

Attached Files:

2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Throwing down powder on the track is what I remember. I haven't heard that word in years.

loudbang likes this.
  3. At one point, the wiping of the tires could have been gasoline to soften the rubber

loudbang likes this.
  4. Rosin=vintage VHT

loudbang likes this.

5. misigis

misigis
    from NY

Was called Gold Dust

loudbang and Gary Reynolds like this.
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

It's interesting that they would get into that much detail in the instruction sheet.
    I only saw the rosin used in magazine photos and then mostly in early altered wheelbase "funny cars". I didn't think the old 4 spd hydros were being used at that point in time. But then I suppose the gassers could have used rosin when they match raced.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

What are you putting the Hydro in?

8. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

The cars are OT, but you may find what Dandy and Grumpy were spreading around on the track interesting:

You do have to admit the video was RAW.

Tman, loudbang and blue57ford like this.
  9. Rosin, or resin or Gold Dust was a big part of the show for early "match race stockers, "FX'ers" or "funny cars".
    Made a big deal of spreading it on the strip, sweeping it, making at LEAST three burn outs, maybe SIX!
    Then the race. This was in the days of TWO NHRA national events, a million local tracks with booked in match race stars. LOL. There was no burn out box, dragsters didn't do it, part of why funny cars became so popular.
    Drag racing was VERY, VERY different then, you had to be there!
    IT WAS GREAT!!!

dan griffin likes this.
  10. Malcolm Durham 1964, that's rosin on the strip!

[​IMG]

11. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Are own Racerx maybe

13. yes it is. george rays hot rod wild cat drag strip in paragould arkansas was the track. the rosin pic was taken early in the day. the avatar fire burnout was taken several hours later. i will try to post some pics of that day.

loudbang likes this.
  14. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Thanks guys, Great pics and Grumpy video. With the brooms I was thinking that was a track cleaning like oil dry, not traction adding situation. Love to learn something new. Again the pics are great, and do wish could have been there. Maybe someone will rosin at the HAMB Drags next year!

15. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

bchctybob, I have a '39 Ford Coupe that was parked a few Years ago with a broken motor and 350t. Another build had me driving a B&M Hydro and loved it, a search for another B&M led me to the long stashed Hydro-Motive. Hopefully I'll have the coupe on the road with a multicarbed 301 (destroked 327) and hydro next summer. Ive had requests for the instructions scanned, will do so this week.

16. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Gary -

Rosin...not resin..!
    Two completely different things.

Mike

falcongeorge likes this.
  17. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Gotta have Rosin before you can dance!

loudbang likes this.
  18. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

This is a cool trip down memory lane. The rosin period before bleach and liquid VHT was such a short period that it was easily forgotten by me but never the less was an exciting time.

19. "
    s nouns the difference between rosin and resin
    is that rosin is (organic chemistry) a solid form of resin, obtained from liquid resin by vaporizing its volatile components while resin is a viscous hydrocarbon secretion of many plants, particularly coniferous trees. "

saltflats likes this.