Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Pappy" Hough

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 00 MACK, Nov 16, 2007.

1. 00 MACK

00 MACK

How come no one ever mentions Pappy Huff on here! Lets start a thread...Take it away Jersey

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. racer5c

racer5c

Maybe cause I am the only midget history buff on here?

3. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Me too
    "Doc"

falcongeorge likes this.
  4. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

maybe because i missed a deal on one of his quickchange rearends by 2 weeks for $100!!!

chryslerfan55 and Roger hough like this.

5. noboD

noboD

Didn't he have three little pigs?

6sally6 and falcongeorge like this.
  6. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

pappy hough's "headquarters" in gasoline alley in paterson, n.j. was a legendary place in all of east coast/NJ racing especially for midgets, he drove imself for a long time and then had some other midget "greats" in his cars, one of which was my uncle, fred "jiggs" peters, pappy was known for the 3 little pigs but eventually added a fourth, hence the "four little pigs", his shop was close to hinchcliffe stadium in paterson, and was surrounded by other shops with racing history, like J&J balancers, etc., hinchcliffe is still there, but very run down, they ran not only midgets there but also stock cars, at times my dad, and 3 of his brothers would be in competition on a given night - big john

7. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i thought it was 5

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

5 Little Pigs
    [​IMG]

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Had an interesting conversation with an old man and his female companion, years ago, at the Winchester Indiana vintage meet. I chatted with them for an hour and, maybe, another half hour, the next day. As the weekend ended, he handed me a dog eared card. Whoa! "Pappy Hough"! A great encounter that I remember, clearly, to this day..... OH! BTW. To make it even better, Pappy's female friend was Doris Schindler, wife of midget racer, Bill.

Toms Dogs and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Brian C

Brian C

I believe it was the 5 little pigs and they lived at Gasoline Alley in Paterson.

Crap, I see that SUHR beat me to it, neat!

11. john56h

john56h

The Paterson Museum which is located in an old factory complex in the city of Paterson, holds an annual exibit that showcases the city's racing heritage. Lots of Midget memorabilia and great artifacts regarding the Gasoline Alley shops and Hinchliffe Stadium...as well as other New Jersey racing history.

Plus the Museum has a bunch of permanent exibits that mostly are related to the city's manufacturing and railroading history. The racing exibit is usually in February or March. Here's a link to the museum's web-site:

http://www.thepatersonmuseum.com/

12. Powerband

Powerband

I have to ask - is Pappy still around?. I met him @ 15 years ago at the Rhinebeck NY Spring Dustoff. Great guy to talk to and he was with a slew of authentic Midgets on the field. I have pics of him and my kids with them sitting in the Midgets.

Powerband :cool:

13. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

Growing up in the Paterson area as a car guy, we all knew of gasoline alley. I asked my buddy to relay a silly story about his encounter with "Pappy":

"Way back when I was a young fella, way, way back, I made my first trip to Gasoline Alley to see Pappy about 6" blocks to raise the front end of my 61 Corvette. I wasn't sure of where to go so I had called ahead and got directions from Pappy, I think. I got turned around somewhere and knew I was close but couldn't find whatever landmark it was he told me. There was a phone booth behind an old Grand Union I think it was so I called again and asked where he was from there. He told me look over through the fence to a group of buildings beyond and hold on a minute. I looked over and there was a guy waving between the buildings. A minute later he's back on the phone and says " Did ya see the old guy just waving at ya?" I said yea, " Well that's me and that's where you have to get to" I still had to ride around a bit to find the entrance to Gasoline Alley but I made it. Pappy said people never paid attention to his directions. He did a nice job on the blocks and was very reasonable. I think he did some other type of welding for me but I'm not sure. It was a neat place.

rod1, chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Pappy dies at the ripe old age of 92 back in 1996.. He made me a hell of a oil pan back in the 70'

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

many years ago Pappy got me into NEAR or North East Antique Racers.I live in Thompson Ct. and spotted several old race cars headed to the speedway one Saturday so I followed them.With several cars were lined up waiting to get signed in at the gate it was Pappy who was first to come up to me while checking out the cars.He shook my hand handed me an application introduced himself and said "you know you want to join"And he was right! I joined that day and stayed a member for a few years I didn't know much about him except everybody called him Pappy and am only now finding out about just how big his background in racing was!I only got to see him when the club came to local tracks

16. gas pumper

gas pumper

In the late 80's I used to bring my kids to Pinebrook Raceway for the Fri nite TQ midgets. It was a 1/10 mile ashpalt oval with some bank, almost like a circle.

On vintage nites, about once a month, Pappy and his gang would show up with his fleet. The one he would drive had a clutch in it. He would start it up in the parking lot, drive to the track, do some laps and bring it right back out and drive right up on the trailer. I think all the ones he had at pinebrook were v8-60's.

Frank

17. john56h

john56h

Yup...Ole Pappy got spoiled in his later years, with that self-starting Midget!

Great guy. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times, and always came away with a smile on my face.

18. Powerband

Powerband

I found a pics of Pappy from Rhinebeck years ago :
    [​IMG]

And with the "kids":

[​IMG] PB
    :cool:

19. jennylee289

jennylee289

Hi there, I am in the process of trying to find out some further history of the 'pit crews' of Pappy and also Tony Battle (or Battiglia?) of Emerson, NJ. My grandpa turned wrenches for both, on their crews. My grandfather actually built the motor of Tony's car that locked wheels with one of Pappy's drivers, Pappy's driver's death resulting from that accident (at Hinchcliffe). Has anyone ever heard of Tony and/or have any info? Sadly my grandpa is gone and I am having trouble adding to what I already know, but really want to for my little boy and myself... Gladly he passed along his passion for speed, cars and bikes to his granddaughter!!! :) Thanks,
    Jenny Lee

20. Jennylee, I saw Tony race at Old Bridge speedway in the early 60s, Check on a site called 3wides picture vault, probably has some pics. I also saw Pappy Hough race there.

21. noboD

noboD

Jenny, welcome to the HAMB. Stay tuned, I'm sure someone can help you. HAve you inquired at the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing, EMMR or Latimore museum? They have a wealth of early racing history and a very extensive library. There's a website.

22. k9racer

k9racer

I know its a old thread .. But down here in Alabama and Georgia where they ran midgets at the peach bowl we all knew of Pappy.. Several of his quick changes made it down to Alabama. This was by way of some racers that got drafted into the Army .. They saw them and brought them home ..

23. jennylee289

jennylee289

Hi Robb, Thanks, I'll try! Jennylee.

24. jennylee289

jennylee289

Hi NoboD, Thanks so much, I wasn't aware of all those resources. It's an on going project and I'll sure check them out. Much obliged! JennyLee

25. k9racer

k9racer

the monthly mag Vintage oval racing did a nice article on pappy a few years ago. Check with the Garden State Vintage Stock Car Club in Brick NJ.. Also Ace Lane jr has a arcive of his dads photos from the 50s to current..

26. teddyp

teddyp

great that so many people have storys about him thanks ant for starting this tread

27. Roger hough

Roger hough

I'm a great nephew of roscoe pappy hough looking for more information on hom

rod1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

:)

29. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I lived in Denville but heard about a '32 for sale in Paterson, I went there & bought my 1932 3 Window($200) from the guys in the garage right next to Pappy's in about 1969 at Gasoline alley, Pappy was the guy to go to for drive shafts I remember. Dick Van Nierkirk & Lenny Zakaro had that garage, Lenny had a choped 3 window early style '32 coupe Dick had a '32 sedan plus someone there had a '34 3 window, painted burgandy I believe with a Big Block Ford FE, that place was magical, Both guys are now gone..Rest their souls

30. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

was thinking about pappy just this week, more on how he helped me build a few pappy break proof race items, like his super strong olds/poncho rear, he built mine using a 58 olds axle housing, 59 to 64 3rd and axles. he cut the longer later axles down to length never broke another,
    pappy was one great man to many and for me i owe what i was able to do racing from his lessons.
    i'll never forget his firing up that 283 he cut in half making a v4 for one of the midgets i think the yellow one he kept in the drive shaft part of his shop.
    gasoline alley, i think many of northern guys remember, the other shops like j&j, simonek now in wykoff ..dayton ignition, custom cycle. long live his memory
    [​IMG]
    Mountain Grove Cemetery and Mausoleum
    Bridgeport
    Fairfield County
    Connecticut, USA

rod1 and chryslerfan55 like this.