Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Grandma's Bullet Bird

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by GNon18s, Dec 3, 2016.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Man you are moving right alone with this refresh. Everything you have done so far is looking great

GNon18s likes this.
  2. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm digging everything that you are doing to your Bird!

GNon18s likes this.
  3. 454Olds

454Olds

Thanks for sharing your project. I also have a '62 bird, and love driving it. I get a lot of smiles and thumbs up from other motorists. Looking forward to your final look. Love the white top. I added some modern touches to the engine. Edelbrock intake and carb, MSD distributer, an alternator, and an aluminum rad with electric fan. I can drive it anywhere without worrying. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  4. I second this

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  5. ValveTubeHead

ValveTubeHead

Great to see another bullet bird among the ranks! Just got my '61 back from paint, ready for interior. Motor/trans been punched up so I call it a mild resto-mod cruiser.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good. I'm happy you ended up with it!

loudbang and GNon18s like this.
  7. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

The thing an experienced headliner installer would recommend is to install the headliner on a hot day. Put the headliner in place, loosely. Then let the car sit in the sun so it gets hot inside, and stretch the headliner after it is hot. If you can get nearly all the wrinkles out when the cloth is hot, it will stretch itself as the fabric cools and shrinks. It will often pull the remaining wrinkles out of itself.

8. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Im interested in which modern alternator i should get to adapt easily to the Tbird. Do i need special mounting brackets or anything? Also interested in possible radiator upgrades. Was your radiator a universal unit or specifically for the Bird?

9. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Did you see Bill Goldberg (WWE wrestler/t.v. personality) owns a red bullet bird? They showed it on that new Jay leno show.

loudbang likes this.
  10. A 'easily' adapted alternator with brackets should be as close as the nearest wrecking yard that has any '65 or newer FE-powered cars or light trucks in it. Ford used the FE in cars through '69, the Mustang through '70, and trucks through '76. There's a couple of different configurations, look for one that lines up with your existing pulleys; take some measurements with you. You can get up to a OEM 70 amp alternator for the early Fords, which as long as you don't add any major electrical loads to the car will be plenty.

As to the radiator, don't be quick to replace the OEM one. Have it checked out first, it may not need anything or only a boiling out. These cars use a 'surge tank' (the tank attached to the thermostat housing) rather than a conventional 'radiator fill' tank because of the low hood line. Using a 'universal' radiator can make it tough to get all the air out of the cooling system.

loudbang, GNon18s and Squablow like this.
  11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This belongs on the next HAMB calendar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:) Unless I`m mistaken,an alternator off of a police car or ambulance should be a bolt on deal.Will have to use the proper VR to match it.I think that they start at about 100 amps.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Atwater Mike, loudbang and GNon18s like this.
  13. When I converted my 61 Lincoln convertible to alternator I got the kit from Bakers Auto. My guess is your TBird is similar

http://www.bakersauto.com/

14. ValveTubeHead

ValveTubeHead

15. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Nice job with the resurrection! Great that its still in the family. I love the new roof!

GNon18s likes this.
  16. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Great story and a great picture with your son opening the garage door. Grandma must be smiling down on you, I've also been a fan of bullet birds since they first were produced. Good luck with it, your son will never forget this car.

GNon18s and loudbang like this.
  17. 454Olds

454Olds

I used a Powermaster 100amp alternator, and had to make a custom top bracket, to adjust tension. The radiator is a Griffen model, that is universal. I could not find a direct replacement aluminum rad. You can buy an OEM unit but the price is double what the aluminum was. Also checked on recording original and it was over $400 to have it done. Getting the air out is a bit of problem, but can be done.

GNon18s likes this.
  18. Looks solid from these pics.
    Take good care of it. They don't build 'em anymore.

GNon18s likes this.
  19. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

I've been collecting air ride parts and I needed to figure out where I was mounting everything so I could get the trunk painted. I made some brackets to mount my Viair 444 compressors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  20. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

The trunk smelled like mouse pee just like the interior so the trunk was also stripped down to bare metal. I scraped out all the old seam-sealer that the factory smears everywhere and redid it a little neater with new seam-sealer. I used spray-in bedliner that I tinted with a Chrysler color called cashmere. I've used this bedliner before with awesome results, both tinted or the black kit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

These are the trunk supplies.. @ $120 for the Raptorliner kit off Amazon and $60 for the basecoat. I only used half of everything for the trunk.
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  22. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Here's the completed trunk with 444 compressors and twin 3 gallon tanks. Tanks are painted pearl white to match the roof. I made it all work the best I could while retaining the full size spare. Hopefully still enough room for luggage for some road trips!
    [​IMG]

dwollam, DougO68, Paul B and 3 others like this.
  23. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

24. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow, you really are moving fast on this car! Nice job.

25. GNon18s

GNon18s
    from Pa

Im actually a year into it, im just getting the build thread up to date. The trunk stuff was just last night though.

26. YJ4000

YJ4000

That looks great, nice and neat.

Ryan.

GNon18s likes this.
  27. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Man I an LOVING this project. You started with a great car, and that it has family history is all the better. So glad you stripped the cloth top and ditched the landau bars. Keep up the good work.

GNon18s likes this.
  28. Great work! Other than the damage from the mice I can't believe how great of shape your T-Bird is in.

29. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

Racer29, biggeorge and GNon18s like this.
  30. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

GNon18s likes this.