Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods For all the Gasser guys. What do you do with your gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Who cares what kinda scoop you run, YOU got a blower!! Love the car. I'd go with the Hilbor scoop. Car doctor, thats a nice ride and a good pic.

2. bchctybob

bchctybob

When I put the hood scoop on I thought that it fit the unblown gasser look pretty well but now that it's got a blower I was thinking a scoop sticking out might fit the blown gasser look better - IDK.

3. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Your car looks perfect the way it is .Love the wheels,tires, and drive train. I'll bet that your fenders and maybe the base coat are actually 30 something year old pearl white. I would keep the scoop that's on it now right where it is. I'm gathering parts to do something similar with my own '48 Austin Dorset. I'll probably use a surfer scoop on mine because it will be called "Flyin' Hawaiian".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I like the way your car looks with the smooth hood scoop. But having a 671 is outstanding. if the smooth scoop will still fit on the carbs, use it, imho. If you had injectors modified for the street, then I would go with the Hilborn scoop. That would retain the originality of the 671 motor without any false pretenses. Plus, the real scoop and injectors would scare people. Your car should sound as well as a 671 on a SBC should. Our 671 SBC made enough noises to sound mean and hungry without running any exhaust cut outs. When we hooked up the street legal mufflers, it still sounded strong. There is something about a supercharged motor that makes an impressive sound...
    Jnaki

5. 55 gasser pickup

55 gasser pickup
    from utah

20161022_210523.jpg 20161002_184157_004.jpg 20161016_123126.jpg
    Mostly drive mine around town working out the little buggs.
    But next year i will hit the track and some more local shows

Butch M, brut4s, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  6. Well then I guess this wasn't a gasser and never won at Indy. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

7. LOL this one either come to think of it.:D

[​IMG]

8. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ----- Mazmanian Corvette is MS, not AA/G. But I won't tell anyone if you won't.

Here ya go.

StormnBull.jpg

9. But it might run on gas. :D

10. Pretty sure Swan's car was a slightly altered wheelbase, among other things that make it not Gas Class legal. As for the Corvette, they weren't allowed in the Gas Classes in the 50's and early 60's, had to run SP or MSP.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  11. Larry T

Larry T

Don, I think Phil Lukens and the Marrs brothers ran a Corvette gasser in the late 60s, didn't they? I don't have any idea when Corvettes were allowed in the gasser classes.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Well.... when I'm not out prowlin the two state area... I do a lil testing at the local tracks to make sure my worn out lil ol 383 is still makin a bit of power.... so far... 1.44 - 60', 10.75@ 125, race weight 3200lbs.383 Liberty TKO 600, 4.88 Olds YABABBBBBY.jpg SINISTER 1 Savanna stylin....jpg world serious 004.JPG YABABBBBBY.jpg SINISTER 1 Savanna stylin....jpg world serious 004.JPG

Butch M, mad mikey, AHotRod and 3 others like this.
  13. Larry - It's kind of a gray area. The "Sports" classes, (Stock Sports and Modified Sports) were where they were supposed to run. In the Stock Sports classes, the cars were permitted very few modifications,and those were severely restricted. In contrast, the Modified Sports was vastly more liberal, allowing roughly the same modifications as Gassers.The only rule that designated them as "Sports" came from the basic body and chassis, which had to originally have been built as a two-seater. The Gas classes were open to any American Made Coupe or Sedan (and later Anglia's, Austin's and Opel GT among others). The C-1 Corvettes were never coupes as the hard top option was removable so they weren't legal in NHRA (might have been in AHRA) as a Gasser. The C-2 (63-67) cars were available as coupes and while they ran in the "Sports" classes at first many NHRA tracks started letting them run in the Gas Classes as there many times wewrn't enough Sports cars to make a field. They also later let them run in Modified Production. The MARRS Boys car was a C-2 so by then it could run as a Gasser at most tracks. It seems most of this class jockeying was mad to late 60's.

loudbang likes this.
  14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Larry, Corvettes were allowed to run in the gas classes in NHRA in 1968 when NHRA did away with the Sp and Modified Sports designation. The major change was that they were allowed a 25% setback up till 67 in MSP but they had to change to 10% to be eligible to run in gas in 68 onward. The hardtop requirement came into play in some of the lower gas classes where I believe they did not have to run a rollbar if they had a hardtop (like F/G I believe). Most of the gassers of course ran a roll bar and there were a number of Vettes in 68 running in gas without a top, including Gianino who won class and eliminator at Indy in 68. The guys I hung with ran a B/G 57 Vette and never had a top. Car was built to run in 67 originally in MSP but the rules mandated it run in gas when the car was finished in 68. Prontito also ran without a top for awhile and a few others I remember. Prontito ended up winning class at Indy with 69 but by that time they had put the top back on. The original top blew off in late 67 I believe in a run.

I have heard some tracks allowed Vettes in gas prior to 68 but I have never been able to confirm that. Certainly cannot deny it happened of course.

15. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Gasser

cs39ford likes this.
  16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine like sleeping in the Shop. And like to take it a part and put it back together..... IMAG1991.jpg Ha Ha

Butch M, loudbang, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  17. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Damn, that is sweet!

GlassThamesDoug and loudbang like this.
  19. I originally intended my coupe to be a street strip car. Well so much for the street part. I now run a blown 57' Olds 371", T-350 trans and 4.57 Bronco 9 in. Best et 10.46/125mph. goldcup004.jpg

20. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I'm new here to the HAMB, anyways here is my daily drive, a 57 210 Jr stock 1963 San Fernando record holder. Run 20170228_144455.jpg s a 327 "stocker" that came out of an old Saugus Speed Way roundie poundie car and 4spd. It's not a gasser per say but it beat Dandy Dick Landy I'm a street race back in 62' so shhhhh, don't tell it it's just an old Jr stocker.

Attached Files:

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

[​IMG]
    This is a Meridan, CT car, couple towns south/west of me, guys name is on the front fender [I can't read it to write it!] his shop was called Speed Emporium, written on rear quarter ..At one point it may have been a Gasser but in this pic I think it is in Wheel Stander mode..The cover and bustle to the trunk lid are over a blown FE, most likely a 427 TP..I think it was Labor Day 69' weekend show where it rolled in the lights at CT Dragway..Appeared at a Marrota car show later with two engines but don't know if it ran again..

GlassThamesDoug, loudbang and Butch M like this.
  22. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Redlineracer that is one sweet coupe.

23. Butch M

Butch M

hope to get mine out this year

24. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

I drive mine all the time it has become our parts truck. Right now we are getting it ready for the meltdown.. we know we are gonna be slow but who cares I am in it for the fun IMG_0691.JPG