Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features traditional t bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merles_garage, Feb 23, 2012.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Bird Mfg. was big into go-karts and mini bikes and also offered a '23 T kit in teeny tiny ads in the back of CAR CRAFT, R&C and HOT ROD in the late fifties and early sixties. Can't help but wonder if Speedy Bill bought the kit car stuff as Bird was located in Lincoln NB.

swade41 likes this.
  2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

In my searching on the subject, it looks to me as though Speedway offered the first T-Bucket frame commercially available. Almquist in the east followed suit very quickly. This would have been '59 when these ads started showing up. Next ads and articles are from late '62 and '63, and are about Speed and Sport, and Racemaster, and are the first of the tube axle type, now typical T-Bucket chassis. You start to see Bird ads in about '65, along with every other manufacturer on the planet, all in a small 1 column ad in the back pages of the major car mags. Pick up ANY Rod & Custom from '68 or so, and count the ads for T-Bucket kits and you'll be surprised at how many are present.

stanlow69 likes this.
  3. rodney woolnough

rodney woolnough
    from tasmania

I have asked about a couple of cars over the last 12 months and havnt thanked people for the replys ,thanks to those concened ,one was the Barris twister T and the other was JOHN SOUZAS car thanks

4. 117harv

117harv

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

6. Blake 27

Blake 27

cupofT.jpg s-l1000.jpg s-l16001.jpg s-l16002 (2).jpg These have been posted on other HAMB threads.

7. GEGE

GEGE

might be bob chancellor, he was as I remember and was in the early times and died in a boating accident. he was only around for a few years after that new build, that was in the early seventies. car disappeared. I think it was built by Ted Brown I think? if that is the car you are thinking about? Nice rake, black headers, halibrands, I know I have the pics in one of my mags, was a big hit at the la roadster shows back when it was at the great western exhibit center. maybe this info will help find the pictures if that is the car.

8. GEGE

GEGE

or danny eichstedts leg show, google it and you will find it.

9. I could have bought a disassembled Bird t-bucket a few years back for $1500 bucks, metal flake green gell coat, 41 ford front axle all old school. I passed it on to my buddy because I figured I didn't need another t-bucket.

Outback and loudbang like this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a bunch of pics of Ted Browns car at various different times in its history, but they are on my other computer. But what you are describing is definately not it.

12. 117harv

117harv

13. Since the weather outside has a decided winter feel to it and its not bucket conducive I decided to go back over a few threads and re read them. I decided that this is one that needs to come back just for those of us that can't get enough of T buckets :D:D:D:p

14. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

NICE job!

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

16. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

17. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

^^^This is one I made awhile back and sold. Fun car to drive

18. Yep, just waiting on a little better weather:)
    223t.jpg

19. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Recently found another vintage pic of my dad's build...craptastic pic of a pic

[​IMG]

loudbang and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  20. dgadman

dgadman

I rarely post on the HAMB......

That is definitely a Specialty Cars chassis. Tom Medlock designed it in the late 70s. I started there at 15 years old in 1982. Later on in my 8 years there I made dozens of those as bare frames to complete kits. If yours was built between 1984-90 it's likely I made the frame and most brackets & components.....and the friction shock. I kinda wonder where all those hot rod kits are today.......... I frankly wish to replicate the friction shock for the modified roadster my son an I are building......found this pic. during a search.

21. RodStRace

RodStRace

dgadman I'd love to find one of those tucked away! My dad and I toured the shop back in that time period.
    I thought at the time that you guys put together the nicest kits. I'd still like one today. I know it must have been hard to keep the doors open in such a crowded market with such a basic product and although I dig Anglias, when those kind of took over the ads I was let down. Never did make enough to get one built.
    Hope you are doing well and your project works out for you and your son...

loudbang likes this.
  22. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Looking for more pictures of this T roadster. Send this classic thread to the top! Not really what I would call a T bucket.....more of a modified T in my eyes.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  23. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Did Chip ever get his T painted orange? For sure it's time for an update!

EVL401, S1B, Outback and 3 others like this.
  24. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Yeah I'm jumping back in. Yes I copied the Kookie Kar and Ivo's T. Tucked away for the winter.

Gary

SANY0004.jpg

Flogknaw, RodStRace, bct and 2 others like this.
  25. A Boner

A Boner

^^^^
    RIP Gary.

loudbang and bct like this.
  26. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Where's Chip been hiding at?

27. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

^^^^???

28. RodStRace

RodStRace

Outback, a boner is referencing the post above him by Steel Rebel (Gary).
    Gary passed away a while back. Sad news....

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

loudbang likes this.