Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Reflections

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 6, 2016.

1. still some good looking glass here in Tacoma... old car dealerships along S. Tacoma Way... downtown has some good views also...

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. For sound you absolutely cannot beat a tunnel. The Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 is a mile long (give or take) and excellent.

3. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

I guess I engage in a variation of this self-satisfying exercise.

I regularly check the function of all my lights whenever I'm in a parking lot with street-level windows to reflect my image. When I park with a window in front, I check the headlights, park lights, high beams and turns in front. Then I tend to look and see if there's an obvious place to back around in a reverse U-turn to check the brake lights and turn signals in the rear. I do it with all my vehicles, just as a precaution against the local LEO's, who misuse their badges to raise revenue for the town and County. No warnings, a burned filament WILL cost you a ticket around here.

When I do it in my Studebaker or my Volvo, or my old F100, I get a chuckle out of how great the whole vehicle looks. and sometimes I sit there a little extra long to admire my old toys. :cool: If there's no other traffic, I just MIGHT admire the reflection as I pull away.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Not more that a few hundred:p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. Used to roll through an industrial area off of 75th street in Edmonton that had a big, new commercial condo complex with a reflective glass front curtain wall - was THE perfect building to use to get a rolling picture of how my pickup looked. Great to gauge stance and watching the sun winking off of the wheels was almost dangerous - too easy to not watch the road!

Steve

6. [​IMG]
    Watching yourself drive by? Hell yeah! Couldn't help but think of these gals when I read the thread title...

7. LongT

LongT

There is a bicycle shop near me that has a pretty good window for that. I too also like the long shadows would like to get a pic of the shadow of me in the T.

8. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Yep Guilty as charged. My shop down town was a Chevrolet Dealership back in the late 50ty's. It has the plate glass windows running across the whole front that was the Showroom for 5 cars. Yes those windows have been gazed at as well as through many many times over the last 65 years or so by no telling how many folks.

9. I do this all the time. I travel the old U.S. route 11. There are a lot towns with stores, that have the large plate glass windows. When I'm in the Low U.F.O.{29 coupe}I pretend I'm racing my reflection. I just hope I don't see the cops chasing my reflection too. Thanks for a fun thread. Ron...

jnaki, bowie and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I do that frequently.Did it last time I was out on my bike and wondered for a second who the grey haired fat guy on the rigid pan was-----------funny how we change on the outside.

HOTRODPRIMER and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  11. 3340

HOTRODPRIMER and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  12. trollst

trollst

I'm not the glass guy type, but tunnels? Vancouver area guys, slow down on the way into the George massey tunnel, slap it into second, go crazy, scare the living shit out of everybody else in there.....life is good.

13. As far as the tunnels I vividly recall back in the 70's the popularity of air horns on resto rods and the "Dixie" & "la cucaracha" tunes scaring the old ladys in the tunnels up in the Smokey Mountains. HRP

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  14. zombiecat

zombiecat

I have a thing about getting reflection pictures when I'm at car shows. Sometimes I don't ever get a good shot of the car that I'm getting the reflection off of, just some good reflections of people, other cars, etc.
    Here's a pretty green Chevy pickup and my wife since she was photo bombing me.
    _DSC4711.JPG _DSC4716.JPG
    Here are a few I took of an A roadster that Dad painted. I don't normally get reflection pictures of myself but this thing was mirror like. Not bad for 82 years old. He could still throw down a mean paint job. _DSC0889.JPG _DSC0891.JPG

HOTRODPRIMER and kiwijeff like this.
  15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Naw, never :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

IMG_1605R.jpg
    Yep I have done it...... This thread reminded me of a George Trossley print called trick mirror that hangs on the shop wall .
    Low budget that picture looks like a section of Highway 2 out here in Washington. I have traveled many times in a Hot Rod and the cliffs do provide a good sound board for the pipes going up and going down the hill.

alanp561, grumpy32, LongT and 5 others like this.
  17. That painting is too cool~ HRP

LongT likes this.
  18. Last time I drove slow I was at the NSRA show in Sacramento 2012 the windows on the administrative buildings are great for that

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. atch

atch

yup.

18 wheeler hub caps can make a pretty interesting Kodak moment, too; but you gotta have your passenger take the pic. Somewhere around here in the photo albums (pre-digital) I have a pic of Clarence that BenD took on the way home from the '98 Bonneville speed week.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. All the time!

I want a trick mirror painting

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. Years ago, a biker customer of mine had this David Mann picture in his bathroom.
    It took a while before I looked at it properly, and realised there was a whole story going on here.
    While pic is OT for this forum, it's not for this thread.
    Study it for a moment.
    The dangers of looking at your reflection in shop Windows, haha. images.jpg

OT car in front has a busted tail light.
    Rider can't see it stopped.
    Passenger can see what's coming, as can the two nuns over the street.
    Sure gets you thinking, when you study it closely.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    alanp561 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Rodders

Rodders

Yep all the time

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seeing Double

Seeing-Double.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and kiwijeff like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reflections in things take on a more special meaning when its something visually interesting such as these metallic masterpieces we drive. So yeah looking at the ride slide through a mirrored or reflective surface can be visually inspiring.

0_20160829_190437.jpg

P_20160622_180037.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Reflections of the past

Reflections.JPG

Credit to Artists Owners, Photographers
    & Original Posters
    Apologies if already posted

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The old hubcap shot.

0325011540a.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  29. I used to love to ride through the Eisenhower Tunnel. The actually have assign that says no Jake brakes. The right vehicle is almost hypnotic by the time to get to the other end.

The Stockton Street Tunnel in San Francisco was/is also a good one. I don't remember today which side of the tunnel its on but one if the tunnel there used to be a row of store fronts. The Ol'Man used to zoom us through there when I was a kid. Good sounds and excellent reflections.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Off the shop floor
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER, kiwijeff and Stogy like this.