Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Jan 46

Jan 46

IMG_0111.JPG IMG_0111.JPG Hi I'm new to the forum and this is a 1946 Solar midget that I am in the process of restoring. I have a v-60 engine that will be going in it. I am currently searching for a radiator and a header kit that will work with this. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

If you want a new aluminum radiator I have had success having several custom radiators made by Superior radiator in Mt Clemens, MI. It is best to sent them a 3D cardboard mock up showing the location of connections, etc.

http://www.wwwsuperiorradiator.com/

3. When I restored my Kurtis V8-60 in 1987, I got these jig built headers from Ermie Immerso at Thunderbird products. Welded up and ready to go. I don't know if Thunderbird is still around since Ermie passed a few years ago.

[​IMG]

4. Jan 46

Jan 46

Thanks. Looks like a good way to go

5. Jan 46

Jan 46

Nice car. The only Thunderbird company I see in California only makes custom drain products

6. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Thunderbird,aka,ermie immerso ent. Was purchased by pertronix, is now Patriot.

7. Jan 46

Jan 46

Thanks. Just sent them an email

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMG_1479762948.099984.jpg . Chuck Zunker, late 60's, BMARA, Wi. Need 3 Prong Knock Off, steel, 2" dia. Thread, 8 thread/inch, Right Hand thread. PM me Thanks ! See pic below, me and the mobile app are not in sync yet.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMG_1479763440.428461.jpg
    #56 (family car 68 years)Car is under restoration by me, see post #4798

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  10. tractorguy

tractorguy

Very nice looking Solar. I have a Solar that I bought in 1989 at an estate sale. I ran it with a vintage group on dirt in 1990 and had a blast. It had been updated to a Chev II at some point with a converted tractor magneto and Riley sidedraft carbs. I do not have a spare radiator, but open to any questions, measurements or info you may need. Good luck.

11. Jan 46

Jan 46

Thanks. If you could tell me how the radiator is mounted in your car it would be helpful. The other thing I need is a photo of the fuel tank and mounting. I don't have a tank so I am probably going to need to fabricate one. I am going to have Superior Radiator build a radiator for the car.

12. I talked to Don Lindfors at Patriot. Don does the R&D fab work on new header offerings. He said they got no racing jigs at all from Ermie. But he did say that Ermie gave a lot of stuff to Speedy Bill Smith. It would be worth a call to Speedway to see if they could help.

13. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Here is a picture of the radiator saddle and the threaded swivel mounts mounted to the frame. The second picture shows the nylon strap up and around the radiator with a sheet metal right angle bend which rivets to the ends of the strap on the vertical and a hole on the horizontal that goes over the threaded swivel mount and has a spring then a tall tightening nut made from hex bar stock, partially turned on the OD and threaded for the swivel mount. There is a rubber pad in the saddle the radiator sits on.

The last picture show the frame where the fuel tank mounts. The tank rests on the corner brackets and the angle iron on top of rubber pads. It has a similar arrangement to hold it down but the flat sheet metal that is riveted to the straps has two holes to bolt directly to the tabs welded on top the frame rail. Across the top of the tank is a 1/8" formed steel rod that each individual side strap connects to and is fastened to the tank by the filler mounting bolts. The tank we custom fabricated.

Hope this helps.
    406 radiator support.gif IMG_1829.jpg IMG_1833.jpg IMG_0950.jpg

14. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  15. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

OK, OK, Yes it's O.T., But : Congratulations to KYLE LARSON for his Turkey night TWOFER! (Winning 2yrs but not in a row!!)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    tractorguy likes this.
  16. Jan 46

Jan 46

This is a great help. Thank you!

17. gearguy

gearguy

I have three radiators suitable for vintage midgets. PM if you need one.

18. Jan 46

Jan 46

I wish I had known 3 weeks ago. I have one on order. you don't happen to have a fuel tank?

19. gearguy

gearguy

rad1.JPG rad2.JPG

Attached Files:

20. gearguy

gearguy

No fuel tanks but lots of misc. vintage parts & 6 pin wheel [spun aluminum 2 piece versions].

21. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  22. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Saw on another board today a post from USAC that Chuck Weyant went to the big race track in the sky January 23 at age 93.

RIP.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My dad ran across this old photo while perusing a family album. Can anyone help identify the race car?

[​IMG]
    My first thought is that the frame looks a bit like a Model T.

some clues:
    - The logo on the hood indicates the car is sponsored by (or was used to promote) Union Ethyl Gasoline.
    - There is a trophy on the hood, and the claim is that it would do 109mph, so does that rule out a T?
    - The man in the driver's seat is my great-grandfather, but the car isn't his. He owned the Union Gasoline station in the background, in Arlington, TX.
    - Arlington Downs, which was a nearby horse racing track, hosted some open wheel events in 1950 (LINK) but the car looks earlier than that to me.
    - On the back was written "It is Lily Ethyl." My great-grandmother's name was Lily.
    - This is a 1951 ad for ethyl gasoline. I assume it could have been an inside joke between them at the time.

[​IMG]

Here is the back of the photo.

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  24. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

It's a pre 1935 car, probably late '20s early '30s, (judging by the lack of headrest & those early wire wheels, & the frame could be from an Essex(a common source for that era). You'd have better luck over on the "Sprint car/pre 1965" thread, as this is a 'Big-car' from that era, not a midget, but (most definitely!!!) thanks for posting it!!

loudbang likes this.
  25. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

It's the C. D. "Pop" Evans car, a very famous California Big Car. The only time it raced in Texas was July 4, 1930, as one of six Californian entries invited to augment the field at the Abilene West Texas Fairgrounds. Carly Ryder was the driver, and the car retired halfway through the 100-lap main event. The engine was a Model T Ford, and the rest of the car a "Motley Special", if you get the drift. Built in the early twenties.

flatheadtommy, slobitz and loudbang like this.
  26. Jan 46

Jan 46

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to fabricate the exhaust for the midget. Can anyone tell me the exhaust pipe diameter? I think it should be 3 inch but I want to make sure. The engine is a v8-60. Thanks!

waljo likes this.
  27. firebrrat

firebrrat
    from Payson Az

Hey everyone just wanted to say if someone is looking for v8-60hp rod and main bearings I have a lot of NOS and NORS a lot of sizes. Just PM me John

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Posted today, a new thread on HAMB...

1928-'48 Chrysler Corp Rear Axle Shafts...

...This in fact is the source of many early midget rear axle shafts with a 1 1/4" ten spline inner with the outer cut off and flange fabricated and welded on for 3/4 floating safety hubs.

29. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

30. 30 Koop

30 Koop
    from Colorado

Hello I am a new member and would like to find some info on the midget that I have recently acquired. A fellow member of the CVOR had done some prior research of this car and What I know is around 1957 Johnny Pawl took it in on trade and sold it to Mike Erickson of Alta Iowa as a roller. He installed a v8-60 and later a chevy II. Erickson competed in NWMRA, BMRA, MVRA as well as others and had it for 20 some years.. Previously it had a 110 offy and was raced in USAC, BMRA and others in IN,OH,KY,MO,PA,IL, and WI.
    It was sold at auction to Randy Rosenboom who cleaned it up and then sold it to Orv Netifee who owned and ran in vintage events until 2010 when it was sold and came to Colorado. It may have been in the Knoxville Museum before Orv Netifee purchased it.
    I am starting to restore this car and have found a SN on the right front frame rail #O 0155, it has a Trenton style tank and had front brakes at one time. The 2 front frame rails have had some repairs at one time. The belly pans are aluminum and had metallic blue paint under the now black coat of paint. It now has a Peck nose and glass tail.
    I have looked at all 162 pages of this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it and know there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here. Any info is greatly appreciated. I want to restore this car as correctly as possible. Thanks

Attached Files:

wicarnut and loudbang like this.