Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A New to me '53

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 50blackbird, Nov 23, 2015.

1. 50blackbird

50blackbird

Longtime lurker here, first posting of my new-to-me '53 Chevy 210 Sedan Coupe.

235-6 with original 3 speed.
    P/O updated to 12 volt w/HEI distributor
    Factory gauges work, except for the gas gauge (reducer needed?)

Upcoming mods:
    *Install JW RodGarage Mustang II front end with coil-overs
    *Fabricate and install 3 link rear with coil-overs
    *Mount 10-bolt rear from a '64 Chevelle
    *Mate up the S10 T-5 transmission w/floor shifter
    *Install dual-carb intake for my matching Rochesters
    *Add Brockman steel-pack exhaust mufflers

Once that's done, the plan is to drive this daily Spring thru Fall.

Attached Files:

little red 50 likes this.
  2. JimboSlice423

JimboSlice423
    from Ohio

Beautiful car man! Can't wait to see the updates!!!

50blackbird likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - very nice - hope that updates go smoothly.

50blackbird likes this.
  4. Looks like a great car to start with!

50blackbird likes this.

5. 'Mo

'Mo

She's a beauty! Good on ya, for keeping the six.
    I'm puzzled by the chassis mods. Why not roll with what's there?
    The front suspension was good for 'Vettes until 1962.
    The three speed will get you to highway speeds.
    Dropped spindles, cut coils, and blocks will get you low.

6. cretin

cretin

Great looking car.
    I agree with 'Mo though. There is nothing wrong with the stock front suspension. I switched to a mustang II on the front of my '54, and without even driving it yet, it's my biggest regret.
    Save the money and invest it elsewhere.

7. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Very nice car.I too am glad to see you are keeping the six.I understand the 5 speed,overdrive is nice.I assume you are going to some type of split exh manifold or headers? I don't understand why the suspension change either.I know your car doesn't have to suit anyone but you.Just that's a lot of money for something that doesn't really do much for you.The chevy front and rear suspension is easy to repair and easy to get parts for.However you do it please send us pictures of the job.

504640 likes this.
  8. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Looks like a great car!
    I agree; the stock front suspension on these cars works great, and the parts are available for them.

504640 likes this.
  9. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

50blackbird...

The above posters are correct. If it needs it, rebuild the stock suspension set-up, use dropped spindles, lowering blocks, new gas shocks, and you'll not only have it lowered, but you can still have a safe, smooth-crusing driver out of the deal. PLUS, you'll save a bunch of bucks in the process !

Split manifold, dual carbs, duals, steel packs, will add the extra power & sound to match what I said in Paragraph One.

Great looking car to begin with...keep some of that natural beauty that it already has, and you'll have a "sleeper" under the hood & drivetrain when you blow-off that 4 cylinder Rice Burner at the Stop Light !

Cool ride ! Best of luck,

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    50blackbird likes this.
  10. Joel bomia

Joel bomia

Looks great so far.
    I have a 53' 210 all stock with 3" blocks in the back and I think cut springs up front, I bought it already done but it is nice and low. I'm debating on going with the same suspension mods to get it bagged but for only that reason. It is a lot to invest though, you all are right.
    Any ideas what rear end and driveshaft I can use if I want to keep the factory 6 and 3 on the tree? Also would like to put in a floor shifting trans if it isn't a huge expense.
    Hope to hear some more of the great advice offered here.

50blackbird likes this.
  11. shown50

shown50

One of my dads breakfast club friends has a 53 2door neat cars. Yours looks great on excited to see the changes you're making!

50blackbird likes this.
  12. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

You can certainly buy a floor shift conversion for that car if that is what you want to do.Why do you want to change the rear end? IIRC the 55-57 chevy rear was commonly used for open drive line conversions.

13. Joel bomia

Joel bomia

I was thinking about changing over the rear end to get a more friendly gear ratio to get up over 50mph. I have also been told if you bag these cars with the torque tube it can be hard on the drive shaft.

50blackbird likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

Very nice car. It is a 2 door sedan, not a coupe. The suspension stuff is un-necessary. A swap to a rearend out of a car with Powerglide will change the gear ratio and make it nicer to drive at highway speeds. I like the planned changes to the engine.

504640 likes this.
  15. Nice car the way it is.
    Maybe change the stance a bit.
    Otherwise it doesn't need anything else, just my 2.

504640 likes this.
  16. Tyler Brewer

Tyler Brewer

17. 50blackbird

50blackbird

Sorry for being MIA for so long. I'll get some updates and pics posted soon. Appreciate all the feedback and respect your opinions; however the M2 was primarily a personal choice with air-bags in the future. I'm still trying to figure out a power steering bracket; most builds I see with M2 front ends have done the v8 swap. The 5 speed ('93 S10/4.3v6) combined with the rear-end (3.42) give this car great gearing, and it drives 75 down the road without issue. It is a blast to drive. If I didn't mention it previously the car did come with split Williams headers, and I added some Brockman steel pack mufflers to it for a classic sound. I have left the single carb in place for the time being as it runs great as is. My gas tank just sprung a leak to I'm replacing that next.

18. 50blackbird

50blackbird

First car show in August - Van Wert, Ohio

Attached Files:

19. 50blackbird

50blackbird

As it sits today.

Attached Files:

• 53-1.jpg
      53-1.jpg
      File size:
      239.1 KB
      Views:
  20. Very nice car, keep us posted!

50blackbird likes this.
  21. you can do the mustang II and not have power steering, just use a manual rack. Then no P/S pump problems.

50blackbird likes this.
  22. 50blackbird

50blackbird

It's what I'm running now...the M2 is in and running manual steering; the stock steering column and wheel are still in place and it's definitely a manual car. I can live with it but was curious if anyone had done a P/S setup with their 235.

Thanks for the replies!

23. 50blackbird

50blackbird

I used the '64 Chevelle rear as it was approx. 60" in width, which if I remember right was the same width as the stock unit. I would think any rear that width would work; pick a driveshaft and cut it to fit your 3 speed and you should be fine. The T5 trans from the S10 cost me $100, and needed nothing. Factory pedals were hooked up to it and I used a '53 truck bellhousing to complete the swap. Hope this helps.