Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Christmas List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as I know outside of the Hurst Competition Plus shifter my dad gave me for the 48 one year for my birthday and a set of valve covers my wife bought for me from the store I worked in and then charged to my accout I have never received or wanted a hot rod part for my birthday or Christmas and don't care to get any. Tools are cool though and I have received a number of tools over the years.
    W

Reading down though the lines I see that I wasn't the only one who grew up in a family where money was tight. When I was young I asked for a Red Ryder BB gun one year and ended up getting the plastic stock Daisy bb gun that cost about a third of the Red Ryder model. It was years before I figured out that I probably got an extra present that year because dad bought the cheaper model. A few years ago my son bought me a Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas because I always put it on the Christmas list to give my wife and kids.
    When my parents divorced when I was nine my sister and I never knew what dad might be able to or wanted to spend on Christmas for each of us so we got in the Sears Christmas catalog and wrote out lists with item, item number and price ranging from very low to something like a new bike with all the bells and whistles so he could pick though it and come up something that worked all the way around. I think it took him a bit to figure out that this was a list to choose from and that we really didn't want the whole list at one time.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  2. I remember spending hours looking at the Sears,Roebuck & Co. Christmas catalog and seeing Santa at Sear. HRP

3. I wore those sears Christmas catalogs out as a kid. Here is a picture of my Christmas 1961. I'm the one with the flattop. lol I still have those toys but they are in very played with condition. Ron... 031.jpg

4. We all have different memories of Christmas past,mine are all good,the scent of a tree,the smell of mom making gingerbread and the aroma of my dad's pipe smoking south seas tobacco.

Enough of the past..I hope Santa brings me a new set of bias ply Cokers for my sedan,they are at the top of my list but I know it's a stretch so I guess I'll have to rely on the Paterfamilias to use his Visa card and give Santa the credit. :D HRP

5. I'll add this to my Christmas List. HRP

[​IMG]

6. ladyhrp

ladyhrp

Maybe the jacket but your on your own with the tires.

Chavezk21, pat59, kiwijeff and 4 others like this.
  7. Remembering how THICK the Sears Christmas catalog was !

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Yes I do.

1947 Sears,Roebuck & Co. Christmas catalog. HRP

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and bobg1951chevy like this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Every year after Thanksgiving some of the local So Cal beach towns put on their versions of small town Christmas. In some places, all of the traffic is blocked off for a parade…(Seal Beach, Belmont Shore/Long Beach,) and while the events are happening, of course, the stores are open for business.

We happen to visit the San Clemente version of this holiday event. Seal Beach and Belmont Shore have their annual themed Christmas Parades. But, San Clemente shuts down the main street for an outdoor festival for two blocks. Holiday music, carollers, big band singers and music, tons of food, rides for the children and “big” kids, displays of all sorts of holiday stuff. The favorites are the hot chocolate booth, the middle school’s, rocking out band, and the cotton candy booth. A holiday themed Cinderella carriage rides, horse drawn wagons, and the little trains to ride for people, big and small. The stores use this time to lure the shoppers away from the big malls and the street was totally crowded.

Any resemblance of dining has to be early as it is an event that fills up every restaurant in town. There are a lot of them, but the most coveted are the ones right on the main drag. Outdoor seating is fun as the people watching is in full swing. Since it is in So Cal, the weather for the past 10 years has been in the 50s and the So Cal people do bundle up to fight off the chill coming off of the ocean.

How do hot rods/custom cars play into this scene? There are a lot of these old cars cruising around on a daily basis as shown by the annual car shows in each community. But, during this holiday event, one custom truck stuck out on the main street of San Clemente. One of the owners of a local small store has been around forever and loves cool cars…in this case, a very nicely done pickup truck. The stance was perfect, the mags given the satin shine and not chrome, the color and finish was perfect. In the back were bunches of holiday “stuff” from their small store. People loved standing in front for the photo-op and it was one of the most popular items at this holiday event.

Jnaki (my Christmas list: for the past 65 years…world peace)

It was a little difficult to get a good shot with so many holiday strollers going back and forth. But, it was worth the wait. The finish on this truck was outstanding. Lots of car enthusiasts in this town were constantly looking at the details and of course, posing for their photos.
    upload_2016-12-4_6-18-32.png upload_2016-12-4_6-19-6.png upload_2016-12-4_6-20-9.png

10. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

11. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    There is a crazy guy in our neighborhood that loves the holiday displays. He fills up his whole front yard and now is expanding down the cul de sac street. The light displays are impressive, but this year, he put up a drag racer (the jolly old guy) doing a burn out...What a guy... He must own an electrical display company or just likes to display holiday themed lights.
    Jnaki
    upload_2016-12-4_6-51-53.png

12. Oh Danny,
    Buh-buh-BUSTED :D

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Santa already has some stuff on the way.;):)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

South of Portland a few miles, stop and say hey.

15. Rodders

Rodders

Santa got me a new interior for my 33 ford roadster. Should have it back after the 1st of the year.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Man, you guys are making me think of waaay back times.
    Who remembers the Lifesaver candy books? You know the big ones that held about a dozen rolls of various flavors.
    It's been over fifty years since I've seen them, always got one in my stocking.
    I think the last one I got was the year they told me Santa Clause was a phony.

LongT, falcongeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. ratman

ratman

I want one of these so I can see small shit again. I swear ever since I got prescription glasses my eyesight is getting worse faster. LED illuminated magnifying lamp.
    [​IMG]

18. Hell,It never mattered what I asked for..All I ever got was a "piece" and a pair of stretch socks,,,both too large!!

19. Well we got a small tree this year and Teresa decorated it up while Jimmy Buffett sang Christmas songs.Bruce. 005.JPG

20. I tended the fire and Crown Royal.P.S. I had to put the out side decorations up in the rain so don't give the warden all the credit. LOL. Bruce.
    002.JPG

21. Raiman, Kinda sounds like us.If were all hadn't grown up that way we might of turned out bad or worse that we are now. Bruce.

22. I remember those. I had forgotten. My grandma got me one one year.

I hate to admit it but I think at our age it is good to remember the good things about being a little kid.
    I don't know about everyone else but there is plenty of bad to remember and dwelling on it isn't healthy. Perhaps good memories is the best that we can do for the holidays.

seadog and Speedwrench like this.
  23. HiHelix

HiHelix

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

We woke up to this!
    DSCF0015[1].jpg

Jingle bells, Jingle bells! My daughter is freaking out!:D I remember the Lifesavers books too!

lothiandon1940 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

We are suppose to get some of that shit down here in the next couple of days, they always say it's coming from CaNaDa. I hope it's not yellow.
    Thanks for sharing George!

falcongeorge likes this.
  26. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Mr. Fischer. Considering recent events, I'm thankful you still have a place to decorate and the ability to do it.

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its not uncommon for us to get a little of this in early December, but usually its melted by noon. Not this time! Its still coming down and its THICK!:eek: I can only see about 1/4 mile, its REALLY FREAKIN SNOWING!:eek:

28. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I start my Christmas decorating the beginning of November for the big historical village celebration in the area. We decorate the inside of all the historical buildings along with the outside of the whole village. My Christmas season lasts three months removing everything at the end of January.
    I'm tired already! :).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bruce Fischer and clunker like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I spoke too soon, a half hour after my post it was coming down here, a bit slushy but went to the hardware store and there were a few cars that apprently had come down from higher elevation as they had a fair amount built up on them.
    Considering they throw out the storm alerts at the first hint of snow; I'm damn glad I don't work in a tire store.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It hasn't even slowed down here. Cripes! I'm gonna have to shovel the driveway!!:eek: We already have about 4"!