Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Breaking in engine soon, what oil filter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kyle Seal, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Kyle Seal

Kyle Seal
    from Virginia

Building a small block chevy 350 with a Lunati voodoo cam, already know I'm going to use the Lunati 301 break in lube, but what filter? I see Moroso has some for 27 microns on Summit.. any recommendations? And also, what oil (brand) should I get? I want to do this right. First timer here.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

Royal Purple. Amsoil good, too.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

Wix filter and Brad Penn oil. If not BP then Driven.

dan31 and olscrounger like this.

5. Joe H

Joe H

6. Gman0046

Gman0046

NAPA Gold or Wix. Regarding oil I use Royal Purple HPS. Brad Penn is good as well the only reason I don't use it I just can't buy it locally.

7. RmK57

RmK57

Not sure which springs your using, but if there the dual spring variety it's not a bad idea to remove the inner for break in.

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

9. I used a Royal Purple filter and Valvoline VR1 when I broke in my 355 with the Lunati cam. Any good filter will do the job. I picked up a few Wix XP filters from Summit. This is what I will be using going forward.

10. Anything but a fram..I use NAPA & WIX filters. HRP

Montana1 likes this.
  11. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

For break in, get what's cheap, you're going to change it after you break the cam in anyway...arent you? Cut it open and look? I agree with the WIX and napa for long term use. Be sure to search the threads for break in, how to set the time , prime the carb etc. There are a couple of good ones out there.Good Luck.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Recently picked up an AC Delco filter for the missus OT. Usually use NAPA gold, but convenience got the best of me. I was surprised it stated 'made in the USA' on it. $4 might make a decent, cheap, break-in filter like Rex mentioned above.

13. in2hotrodz

in2hotrodz
    from Spiro, OK

I would respectfully disagree. Break-in is not the time to try and save 10 or 15 bucks, you should have the best stuff you can get in it when it takes its first breath. That 10 or 15 bucks you saved will most likely end up costing you 300 bucks worth of cam, lifters and gaskets plus more oil and a filter for the next break-in. I used to build engines for a living, I've been there.

14. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Another Wix fan here.

15. Wix, Napa, K&N, all good filters.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I use a 30 gph wix race filter with no by-pass, but I use monograde oil and no by-pass in the block. If you are using a multigrade and a bypass, you can probably get by with a lower flow rate. I wouldn't use a K&N personally, a couple engine builders on Speedtalk have had them fail on the dyno. I don't think they are that great a filter.
    Just so people know, K&N belongs to Rank group out of New Zealand. The same parent company as F#@m, a little "food for thought".

Edit: I change my oil a lot, and I rev the wee out of stuff. For the record, I am more concerned with flow rate and burst strength than microns. Your "mileage" may vary...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Baldwin makes a good filter too, or they used to a few years back. With all the outsourcing, all this stuff can change from one day to the next...:rolleyes:
    Jomar and Moroso are good too, but they are re-boxed Baldwin race filters.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Wix fan here and follow the cam manufacturer's instructions.

19. dan31

dan31

Wix,K&N and brad penn 10w40. Don't use good headers until you run it at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes or whatever your cam calls for.

20. Kyle Seal

Kyle Seal
    from Virginia

What about oil if I use the Lunati 301 ZDDP additive? The ones I see recommended already have ZDDP put in them.

21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Your engine your choice. I use the cam manufacturers recommendation period.

22. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I don't cheap out on the oil, either, so I agree with you there. I didn't mention oil because I didn't want it to turn into another oil/Zddp discussion. There are a few of those if one wants to search for them.
    I used to like the System 1 filter, so I could take it apart and inspect it, but I think you get better filtration with a paper filter, even a cheap one. Good Luck.

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

Here is the kicker you need 2000 rpm to break in the cam. 2000 rpm with cold oil will open the filter bypass valve so you haven't any filter until the oil warms up.

24. IMO, Baldwins are a cheap crappy filter, we see them cause problems at work all the time.

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

26. WIX

Why Not ask the Place thats Rebuilding the Engine
    he will tell you what Type of Oil to use

Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    Come Home

27. You should have gotten a little card with the Lunati cam. Part is the warranty you send back, the other is how to break in the cam and what additive to use, etc. I used a Comp Cams additive since I needed to get it locally.

28. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

AC Delco and 5/30 valvoline

29. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like Fram and have had great luck but apparently I am in the minority.

HRP, can I ask why?