Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Welcome to the 2017 Meltdown Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Nice looking altered... I can't see the wheels to make sure they meet the criteria, but there are typically about 15-20 altered stunning each year. Make sure to pre-register!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Guess it was running pretty good for being choked down.

3. pnevells

pnevells

jalopy2.jpg

4. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

loudbang likes this.
  5. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

Isn't salt under your cars what rusts out your frames and floors back there?

6. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

saltflats and loudbang like this.
  7. 62Furious

62Furious

Jeff , the magazine was FUNNY

Salty , glad to see you hard at work. Your reaction time is looking good. I take it that next year you want to see if that motor will out run the Furious.

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Bob the question is will the Furious out run the BelAir.

loudbang likes this.
  9. 62Furious

62Furious

Well I did it last year! we shall see what the new year brings

loudbang likes this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yeah I was a little anxious.
    Maybe I will do better next year.
    I think you have some cubic inches over me.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Holy crap guys...we are 27 days away from Pre-registration and 220 days away from the 8th Annual Meltdown Drags...

Can you believe this will be the 8th year? I remember the first year when there were 30 cars and we were sharing the track with the Pontiac club (yawn...) and racing snowmobiles....wow have times changed.

Stay tuned for later this week we are going to have some announcements for 2017!

Dog_Patch, Gammz, 55belairx2 and 2 others like this.
  12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Yeah no snowmobiles.

55belairx2, 30dodgeboy and Deuced Up! like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Jeff my hat if off for you guys that put this together.
    Personally I cant think of a better way to spend a weekend in the middle of July.

14. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Hey guys - here is an update about some changes for the 2017 event...let me know if you have any questions:

We are a little over 7 months from the 8th annual Meltdown Drags. This event started with a dream and 30 cars, now has turned into the biggest and best vintage drag meet in the World. We have made amazing friends along the way and learned many things…these have led us to make the following announcement for 2017:

Bigger isn’t always better:
    With that being said, we will have a strict race car count for 2017. This event is for racers by racers and if we continue to let the event grow we will eventually run into an issue with the number of passes each racer will be able to make. We will have a strict cut-off of 500 cars.

Period Correct Matters:
    We are going to tighten up the following criteria to ensure that we remain period correct:

Wheels:
    We are tightening up our criteria on wheels. For 2017 Rod Lite wheels are no longer allowed. While they may appear from a distance to look similar to slots of the 60’s they look too modern. If you currently run these wheels…you have 7+ months to change them. Also, moon discs will only be allowed as a one year exemption. You must purchase correct wheels to replace the moon discs. Back in the 60’s the widest wheel that was produced was 10 inches wide which would allow at most a 12 inch tire. Any wheels and tires wider than these requirements will not be allowed.

Wheelie Bars:
    In 1966 wheelie bars did not stick out excessively behind door cars. Modern wheelie bars stand out and do not fit the intent of the Meltdown. Cars with wheelie bars that do not appear period correct will be asked to remove them or change them in order to participate.

Non-Period correct numbering or decals:
    We recognize that people race at other events other than the Meltdown but non-period correct numbers or decals such as “pro” in your window that is part of your bracket racing must be removed.

Pre-registration:
    With the car count limit and the revised criteria we will be making some changes to pre-registration. Pre-registration will open at 12:00 am on the morning of Monday, January 2nd as it has in the past and it will remain open until February 28th at 11:59 PM. Upon the conclusion of pre-registration we will reply to all racers in order of receipt with their registration number. Once we reach our car limit individuals will be put on our waiting list. Cars that are not yet complete will be put on a project list until complete. Individuals who fail to submit an adequate picture of their car or do not meet the criteria risk being placed on the waiting list until they can demonstrate that they meet the criteria.

No New Race Car entries on Saturday:
    Please arrive at the track Thur or Fri. (The only exception would be a long haul that had travel issues). This is a 3 day event, and many passes can be made on Friday or Sunday. Saturday is always the busiest in the staging lanes. Please take advantage of these other days...so you can enjoy yourself and your time at the Meltdown.

As our event has grown these tweaks are required to ensure we maintain the event in a period correct manner.

If anyone has any specific questions or wants to know if there car meets the criteria, please send an e-mail to [email protected].

Thank you for your support in making the Meltdown Drags what it is!

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds good to me but I don't go very fast or quick so I don't have no fancy stuff.

loudbang likes this.
  16. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I agree James I don't have fancy stuff either lol all my crap is old and slow you proved that cause if your car is slow mine is worse cause you outran me lol

loudbang, powrshftr and saltflats like this.
  17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I remember a different story before though. We all have are day.
    I am working hard to have some tubing to roll with you soon.

loudbang, 30dodgeboy and powrshftr like this.
  18. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

409 FED ? :rolleyes: :cool:

loudbang, 30dodgeboy and powrshftr like this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now there's an idea Norb.

loudbang likes this.
  20. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the fastest pass a door car has made at the Meltdowns?

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Not sure the exact time but I've seen some 8 sec passes you better hope you get a good tune if you are goin there lol

loudbang, powrshftr and saltflats like this.
  22. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Now Now... its all about being the coolest and there are some serious cool !!!

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  23. 55belairx2

55belairx2
    from California

FB_IMG_1481172827806.jpg

Hey Jeff, just bought this Nova and wanted to make sure it's Meltdown friendly...

loudbang likes this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How did that make you feel?

loudbang likes this.
  25. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Marc - sure...go ahead and try to pre-register it. I will put you in the same category as the guy last year with his '78 Malibu "gasser" that he was very upset wasn't allowed.

55belairx2, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  26. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Big Deuce-

We don't care how fast anybody goes at the Meltdown...it is about fun match racing.

If I was to venture a guess, it would be in the high 7's with some of the AA/Gas cars or the AFX cars. I think that Scott's mustang was looking to be in the low 8's based upon the first few feet...then it kind of fell apart :)

27. Saxxon

Saxxon

Is that the new track dragger ??... you know - put it in park, slam a tow hook in the hood and drag it down the track with the tractor

28. Skai High

Skai High

I am shooting for the show and maybe race. Will there be any slow cars to match up against. I am guessing this thing will be a 14 second snoozer. Trying to get the original owner to meet me there to drive the car again after a 52 year hiatus.

Attached Files:

29. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Oh man Skai High! That thing is sweet.

Don't worry, with 500 cars we have tons of cars running in all different time ranges. The guys who run 15 seconds have just as much fun as everyone else. So, you bet you will have some awesome match races! We would love to see this car there!

30. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

For sure Skai High!!! Bring it!! My kid had the time of his life running stock class in our 64 ranchero. [​IMG]