Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods New guy with a 33 Plymouth.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Suthunman, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Suthunman

Suthunman

Got my new grill today. Worked on it til 10p.m. installing it!
    image.jpeg

das858, exterminator and nightmoves like this.
  2. Nice car, you certainly got into it "right".
    Another huge fan of the often overlooked '33/'34 Mopar coupes.
    Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

Also, if you reference your car in the title of the post, it makes finding like cars/car owners when doing searches on here.

3. nightmoves

nightmoves

That's a real good looking view of your '33.I dig it. Gives me inspiration to get my '34 project started.
    Subscribed.

4. Suthunman

Suthunman

Thanks guys! I always wanted an old car like this. Now that I'm retired, I have the time to mess with one. I find the money end of the deal makes me pace myself. :) The grill was a big step.

exterminator likes this.
  5. Suthunman

Suthunman

image.jpeg image.jpeg It's been a while since I posted in this thread. I've been battling a serious medical issue, that turned into issues but I'm feeling better now. I have had the door handles rechromed and installed. I've been gathering stuff to work with, wiper motor, some rubber parts and I finally got all the glass. Since I bought the car I've put over a 1000 miles on it. Only problem I've had has been a recurring one that acts like it's running out of fuel. I replaced all fuel filters and the fuel pump, so far so good. I'm getting ready to start working on it again and here is a couple of pics I took today.

6. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Glad you are recuperating now. Lots of empathy on the HAMB when a member falls ill. Bunch of good people here. BTW I'm now a fan of the hood sides. Haha, they look good. Keep the pictures coming, you take good ones. Steve

Suthunman likes this.
  7. upspirate

upspirate

Great car. I always liked the 33-34 Dodge-Plymouths.Had a 34 Ply 4-door project ,a 33Dodge p/u project and a 34 Dodge 4 dr on the road....unfortunately the 4 dr was more of a a SR which I liked back in the late 80's when I owned it,but it got totaled in a accident scan0003.jpg scan0006.jpg

Suthunman likes this.
  8. upspirate

upspirate

BTW when I first got my sedan, someone had replaced the stock Mopar rear shackles with "normal" style ones with a flat bar on either side of the springs like most parallel leafs.I bought the proper 33-34 ones which are "C" shaped and they didn't bottom out on the frame and it rode great.

9. upspirate

upspirate

10. upspirate

upspirate

More of a hot rod look with these wheels.... 1934_plymouth_5_window_coupe_4_lgw.jpg

hot-rod 33 and exterminator like this.
  11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hood louvered sides look menacingly great!
    Take a look at the module in the late Chev distributor. If it was installed 'dry' (no electrical lube under it) that probably compromised it. The problem would arise when the engine is warmed up, running along just fine, then: "CHEVY TIME!"
    The symptoms might mock 'running out of fuel'... If you replace that SBC with a nice older hemi, you can have total reliability, and gain looks of admiration from your peers.

Seriously, for just a moment: Nice Plymouth, you're doing great! That thing is sure straight!

Suthunman and Marcia like this.
  12. Suthunman

Suthunman

Thanks for the responses guys!

That was painful just looking at the pic of the car in the accident. I can't imagine how you felt when it happened.

Everyone has complained about my wheels so much I've started defending them like a parent of a bad kid. :). They're not THAT bad but one of these days they will be replaced.

Mike.........if I lubed the module now, would it help. Or, is this a case of it may be messed up for good and lube wouldn't help. I'd bet good money it wasn't lubed.

13. nightmoves

nightmoves

Your '33 looks great Suthunman.Enjoy it. Glad you're back on track with your health.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Marcia and Suthunman like this.
  14. upspirate

upspirate

I felt glad to be alive! If my e-wife hadn't seen the guy running the red light and yelled so I could slam on the brakes, I wouldn't be!

BTW, glad you are feeling better whatever the med thing was and your car is coming along great

nightmoves and Suthunman like this.
  15. Suthunman

Suthunman

Thanks for all the well wishes for my health! I'm 61 and never had any health problems. Made it until December last year with a broke toe and never even had a stitch.

This year, 3 different hospital stays for a total of 11 days. In December they found cancer in my jaw. It's a nasty surgery that the surgeon tells me takes a year to recover from, I hope a year is all it takes. All the antibiotics caused me to have c diff. Then I wound up with a blood clot in my lung.

I spent some miserable days after the surgery. But knew I was getting better when I finally fired up my 33 and went for a drive. I'm starting to want to work on my car again, so I know I'm getting even better!

I'm wanting to install the glass. I've got most of it figured out. The one thing I don't have a clue about is the stuff, I don't know what it's called, that rubs against the door glass as it goes up and down. I already have the channel but could use some suggestions on the other stuff.

16. DaveH_RRTX

DaveH_RRTX

Your making good progress. I'm still slogging away on my '34 Dodge. I spent a coupe of years on all the mechanicals and now spending my weekends driving it and occasionally working on the bodywork (not retired yet). I'd get more work done if I would spend more time on it.

Heres a picture of mine taken by RoyBoy at the Lonestar Round Up this year.

Dave

[​IMG]

Sent from my GT-P5210 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

exterminator, Marcia and Suthunman like this.
  17. Suthunman

Suthunman

Dave driving it wins out over working it most of time........for me anyway.

Your car is looking good! Hard to beat these old Mopars! They are a little hard to find parts for though. I was fortunate to get a lot of the stuff with my car. Though rechroming the door handles cost more than I expected and the grill wasn't cheap either. But finding the stuff and getting things refinished is part of the fun, if expensive!

I'm in no hurry to get it painted. I would be worried about getting hickeys too much to drive it like I do now.

nightmoves likes this.
  18. nightmoves

nightmoves

Dave, I like the Dodge fender scallop much more than my plain Plymouth. Pretty snazzy.
    Suthunman, paint is overrated.Enjoy your ride.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Marcia

Marcia

I took my 33 out today. I've been driving it for over 30 years. Made a few changes along the way.
    Keep up the good work! It looks great!!

Attached Files:

20. nightmoves

nightmoves

21. exterminator

exterminator

You guys are making me regret having getting rid of my 33 ply. I also agree on not being in a hurry to get a paint job.You will have more fun with it.Yeah, i agree with others about the wheels but it is your car,if you like them-keep them.:)

22. DaveH_RRTX

DaveH_RRTX

I'm at least a year away from paint at the rate I'm going. Just when I think I'm done with a panel I find something else I missed. So I keep working till I think its perfect. In case anyone asks. I won't be painting it white. It will probably end up dark red, although I gotta admit I'm kinda digging the satin black look for now. I drive it as is to different meets and a couple of local shows. My friend get a kick out of seeing the changes in the car each time they see it. Brings me back to when I was a kid, thats what we did back then. All of us did our own work and we enjoyed seeing each others progress. Keep up the good work and posting to your thread. We're all rooting for ya!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Marcia and exterminator like this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The
    The thermal lube is to transfer heat out of the module, so if it is damaged, the module will have to be replaced.

24. the windshield opens and they don't want you to drive it funny

25. 440/727

Attached Files:

Marcia, Suthunman and nightmoves like this.
  26. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

'33 Dodge, very similar. Dad's street racer approx. 1965. wagner house, Dad\'s cars 012.JPG

27. Marcia

Marcia

hot-rod 33 likes this.
  28. Marcia

Marcia

Looks great! Love the color.
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app