Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The ALTERED thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 3, 2016.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

IMG_0429.JPG I will post more of this one later. Engine is my avatar

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

3. pnevells

pnevells

little video of our altered and a classic linblad dragsster at Beaver Springs, Special thanks to Nick Pettit for the original video

4. pnevells

pnevells

Caroles Mink AA/A pulled off the track right in front of us, .I took these when I was 17 at the 1970 NHRA Sumernationals at York US30

PICT0016.JPG

5. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

York US30. That was a beautiful track.

els and mad mikey like this.
  6. pnevells

pnevells

Very cool track as it was an airport during the week, i ran my gas dragster there in the 70's at night, the whole 1320 had great lights , the shut down area just had the runway lights, they had a guy with a flashlight to tell you where to turn off, I ran over the pilot chute of the car i was running and tangled it in my front wheel

Stebo27, els and mad mikey like this.
  7. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I remember going to a 64 car Funny Car show and they had to stop racing to let a plane land. And back to altereds

Attached Files:

loner2, els, Hotdoggin DaddyO and 2 others like this.
  8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

9. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

here is my barn find not sure when it was last on the track but its been awhile. I would like to sell it so I can finish my gasser project. if you are interested drop me a note. it has a nine inch spool set up for a SBC/auto, I have the mounting plates and headers. the mags and tires do not go with the car but I have others. thanks

Attached Files:

loner2, Stebo27 and els like this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

11. loudbang

loudbang

That is a great shot of a classic don't think I've seen it before

cruiserjohn76, loner2 and els like this.
  12. York US 30 was indeed a fantastic track. I saw all the big name greats run there when I was a kid. And remember well the action put on hold so a plane could land. Great times back then!:D

loner2, els, mohead1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

posted by tommyd in the in motion thread

[​IMG]

14. Kay Sissell. One of the kindest racers I have eve met. When I was trying to dial in the 48 IDA Weber on my T speedster, I stopped in to ask Kay for some tips. He went in the back and got this beautiful oak box that was an official Weber factory tuning kit. Drawers full of every part Weber makes. He told me to play with the idle circuit and take the kit. "Just put the parts back in that you take out of your carb." Probably 2 grand, or more, worth of parts in that kit. I got the carb set up and took the kit back. I told Kay what I had used, and replaced with my parts, and what did I owe him. He said "don't worry about it, glad to help". One of a kind I'd say.

loner2, els, Speedys Garage and 4 others like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

[​IMG]

16. That is one good looking altered!

loner2, els and loudbang like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

If you look back in this thread I know I posted at least one more of it sometime :p

18. loudbang

loudbang

Just a teaser more in the processing bin. :rolleyes: Yes I know there are other versions of some of these in here but these get HUGE great for computer background.

Pure hell smoking them up

4560.jpg

A few of Magic Muffler fiat.

Jim Miles standing with car

A newly found photo of Jim Miles standing next to the car..jpg

I know this one is in here but WAY smaller.

IMG_0402.jpg

Smokem if you can.

Magic muffler.jpg

This is the earliest Enderle Injector maybe 4 made. It is what Jim Miles ran on the fiat. It was built for front mounted superchargers so when you put it on the top it comes out with the name upside down. This is the repop of the fiat not the original but the injector is a real piece.

This is the earliest Enderle Injector.  It is what Jim Miles ran on the fiat.JPG

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  19. Jim ran that early Enderle on his '34 coupe before the Fiat. One of the first ones I ever saw. Gene Moonyham also ran one. Look how small the nozzle lines are compared to just a few years later.

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  20. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

PC031004.JPG PC031001.JPG PC031007.JPG OK, a little up date on the Magnificent 7 altered of Leroy Chadderton. Bill Gathin has got the front end almost complete and getting ready to set the rear end. I think a few will remember Mikios Business logo, he found the last surviving "Precision Products" rising sun T-shirt. Will check in again in a few months...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Look like one bad cylinder

[​IMG]

22. loudbang

loudbang

Good spot for some history on the driver of "Pure Hell" Dale Emery

Although Emery is most widely associated with Texas, he actually was born in Stillwater, Okla., and grew up in Northern California after his family moved there when he was 5. He began his racing career in 1955 with a C/Gas ‘41 Chevy coupe and graduated to a rear-engine fuel coupe in 1959, then a gas dragster in 1960 and, finally, a Top Fuel car with partner Woody Parker in 1962. It was through the Parker car that Emery met Pete Ogden, who had built Emery’s Top Fuel car and the famed Pure Hell fuel altered for Guasco.

de1.jpg
    Dale in the driver's seat with Guasco

Emery took over the controls of the famed fuel altered from Don Petrich in 1965 and drove it for five seasons of wild wheelstands, sideways passes, and off-track excursions, becoming known as one of the class’ finest and fearless wheelmen, which made the Pure Hell a popular match race attraction; his battles with friend “Wild Willie” Borsch for class supremacy kept the fans enthralled.

“I think because we had the engine so high up is why it did those wheelstands, but as long as the tires were lit, it was easy to drive, but when the tires dried up, you’d better look out,” he noted.

The car, which sported an 89-inch wheelbase, originally was equipped with Chevy power and a primitive lockup clutch. “When it locked up at half-track, it was anybody’s guess which way it would go,” he told National DRAGSTER in a 1994 interview. “To my way of thinking, you just have to be well-coordinated to drive a Funny Car. But that altered, well … you just really had to work at it to keep it straight."

de2.jpg

And it helped to have a working steering wheel, too, as Emery found out one day at Fremont Raceway, not far from his then home in Livermore, Calif.

“We used to have a Crossley steering box on the car, but they put a new P&S in it, and they told [Guasco] you had to pin the steering wheel, but he forgot.

As soon as it took off, the steering wheel came back with my hands. It went off the right side of the track into the grass, but it had rained the night before, so it didn’t slow down when I pulled the brakes because the grass was still wet. It went into a ditch filled with water, dug in, and flipped it upside down.”

For a brief time, Emery was underwater, holding his breath, until the car was righted, which led to a scene “right out of The Three Stooges.

“I was still choking a little bit, and the ambulance guy was trying to pull my helmet off without even unstrapping it. Tony [Del Rio, a huge, badass wrestler who used to paint the car] smacked him and knocked him out in the water. I went to the hospital to get checked out, and the ambulance driver came in looking to see who knocked him out. I told him, ‘Don’t even start because he’ll finish it. …’ ”

de3.jpg

Guasco also tagged Emery with his famous nickname “the Snail” for his laid-back nature. “He was kind of nervous, and I was always just hanging out. He used to say, ‘Look at him: He’s just like a snail; he never goes anywhere fast.’ ”

A Chrysler engine and a slipper clutch were added in 1968 and really paid off. Borsch was the first to top 200 mph with a 200.44-mph run at Irwindale Raceway Sept. 23, 1967, but the next year, Emery blasted to a 207.36-mph clocking while winning the Hot Rod Magazine Championships at Riverside Raceway, a speed that would not be bettered that year. A week before the Riverside win, the Pure Hell had dispatched a field of floppers at a Funny Car vs. Fuel Altered battle at Orange County Int’l Raceway.

“Driving the Pure Hell was the most fun of anything I ever did. There was no money to be made doing it, but we did it because we liked racing.”

The Pure Hell was heavily damaged in a highway accident near Deming, N.M., while Emery was on his way home to Dallas from the U.S. Nationals. The trailer blew a tire, and the rig ended up in a culvert. The car sat for a while as Guasco decided what came next (a Pure Hell Funny Car that, despite historic notations to the contrary, Emery insists he never drove).

de4.jpg

23. loudbang

loudbang

Just to continue the mood some "Pure Hell" bigger shots.

ph1.jpg

ph2.jpg

ph3.jpg

ph4.jpg

ph5.jpg

24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks for the history lesson. Dale's early partner, Woody Parker, is featured on one of the Jackson Brothers Gasser videos with a Willys.

els, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  25. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

29. loudbang

loudbang

Slow Sunday night with "The duty" found a few more.

AA/A Dean And White Drag Race Altered.

AAA Dean And White Vintage Drag Race Altered..jpg

C/A vette

CA vette.JPG

Gang Green

Gang Green.jpg

Mondello & Matsubara Fiat Topolino

Mondello & Matsubara Fiat Topolino.jpg

Walker & Geary or Geary & Walker depending upon which side of the track you were spectating.

Walker & Geary or Geary & Walker - depending upon which side of the track you were spectating..jpg

Unknown Yellow B/A

Yellow B Altered.jpg

30. loudbang

loudbang

good shot of Pure Hell

Pure Hell.jpg