Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kustom From Outer Space..France calling.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ratatouille, Sep 3, 2014.

1. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Congratulations on your magazine car experience! I look forward to Watching you build your new version of the car.

Ratatouille likes this.
  2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I thought you weren't allowed to change the engine?

Sounds like a good plan, though.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ratatouille likes this.
  3. congrats Rat on making the over of the magazine.

Ratatouille likes this.
  4. chrisp

chrisp

We're not allowed to modify anything, by law a motor vehicle has to be the way it left the manufacture... Fortunately as long as we don't do anything stupid on the street cops don't care, some even give us the thumb up.

Ratatouille did you know that the MII suspension is pretty much a bolt on deal on the Fregate cross member if you get the shortened A arms? I did a quick mock up on mine when the front end was apart to find this out.

Ratatouille likes this.
  5. Congratulations on being featured in the magazine and making the cover. If anyone deserves it it's you.

Ratatouille and volvobrynk like this.
  6. chopper york

chopper york
    from England

Loving that fella,where in France are you?

7. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Based in French Riviera.

8. Do your really need to make a new frame, just for a V6?
    It sounds like you´re making a lot of work for yourself for no real good reason.
    Pretty sure a V6 would fit the engine bay already. And if it doesn´t, then find a motor that does.

volvobrynk, chrisp and Surfcityrocker like this.
  9. OK...this cute little french car has already pushed the boundaries of The Hamb...so while we are straddling the fence, have you seen this??
    1960 Panhard PL-17 Jay Leno's Garage.

Who wouldn't want to hang out in his shop for a weekend???

JT

MyCrustyVW, volvobrynk and pat59 like this.
  10. Panhards rock! The earlier ones are all aluminium too.
    I have a secret plan to put a 120hp BMW boxer motor into one, from a motorcycle.
    The 24ct is the cool looking one i think.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Long time ago i saw the earlier aluminum version.There wasnt much left of it,except the body.
    I dont know has it it been ever the smartest invention technically,but i liked the body design.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. chopper york

chopper york
    from England

Cool i tour france every year in my camping car...have friends in Toulon and Marseille all into Hotrods and Customs

dana barlow likes this.
  13. chrisp

chrisp

The BMW engine swap has already been done. There is also somebody who's trying to put a BMW crank into the Panhard block to try to solve the cost of fixing the Panhard crankshaft, but all the oiling has to be re-engineered.
    The alluminum one weight only 800Kg, with a souped up 950cc 80hp Panhard engine, this car flies.

James D and jakespeed63 like this.
  14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Rat.Just outstanding on the cover photo.Please keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

15. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Well….about 2 months, i'm looking for a place to continue the work on my car…..but, you know, the great BUT….i have found nothing cheaper (understand "correct price"!!), sometimes, i think Humans sucks, because i'm not a rich man, BUT nothing can stop me now, except death, and not because i have not enough money to rent a garage!
    This gonna be very hard to realize, i have not enough space to replace the engine, i'm not on plane surface, winter is coming, the snow, the rain…..my life, my FUN!!!!. So i'm gonna challenge myself again to "do the job".
    I own a old dismantle portable crane, outside under the rain, little bit buried in the ground about 6 years…..

Round 1, mount and try to action the portable crane…..that big boy come back to life:)

[​IMG]

16. rgdavid

rgdavid

With some new seals and the rods and pump cleaned that should relive,
    Would it be possible to make a tubular structure over your car and put some cheap coragated covering (structure attached to the car ) to make a temporary cover to work under, i did this over a small lorry i worked on one winter.
    Ive got space in my workshop but am in the ariege,
    Gros courage,

Ratatouille likes this.
  17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Bravo!

I want to expound all Churchill like now....

Never give up! Never say die!

Bravo again!

And the time-honored manly tradition is: Find a wealthy girlfriend who wants to learn about cars... :)

volvobrynk, Outback and Ratatouille like this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Been enjoying seeing your very nice custom modifacaions on your Renault,looking very good.
    Here in south Florida USA ,back in the late 1960 an 70s I built a few Renaults in to race cars ,won a good number of races. Used hopped up Renault engines,at first the little 845cc hopped up to 904cc an later R8 1100 an R10,last was G1600 Hemi motors as the class rules let us use bigger engines,in the oval track racing of Mod Mini Stock class. 2.jpg

19. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

[​IMG]

Amazing, Dana Barlow!

pat59 and dana barlow like this.
  20. nali

nali

J ai pensé a toi suite a l'achat de mon nouvel ami :p
    Mais je l'appelle Squeekie.

[​IMG]

vetteguy402 and Ratatouille like this.
  21. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Bienvenue Squeekie;)
    [​IMG]

22. nali

nali

23. Slopok

Slopok

Gonna need a bigger beach umbrella!;)

Ratatouille likes this.
  24. Karl Schofield

Karl Schofield

25. Mon ami, your vehicle is amazing, congrats on the magazine cover. Your passion and perseverance is to be applauded. Good luck with the build. Bon soir

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ratatouille likes this.
  26. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

Hello Guys, well, i think your thoughts are: "what's news Ratatouille? are you dead or did you no finish your car?".....Today it was the Frégate anniversary.....4 years ago.....well, you know the story ;-).

3 month ago, I have found a motor and all parts I need, from a friend....but I'm have no news from him for the deal. He say that he want to sell me the parts, but I don't know when and how many!.....so today, I have decided to find by myself what I can put and buy for Lowrange.

I want to drive my car all days, so I don't need a lot of horse power (77KW is enough for travel the country), and gasoline is expensive. The original Frégate motor is not a bad motor, but the gear box is horrible, and the motor is the small first one (40KW!!!).....so.......I'm in France...V8 and TH 350? yes, it's cool, but too big for the Fregate. V6...well this is my first choice, but this engine are not so economical and heavy, and here, hard to find with low miles and good price.....so 4 cylinders is the right motor for a French car.
    I have not enough space to park a car for parts, I only can buy parts....and put all that stuff in my petit panel truck with my arcade cabinet ;-)).

So today, I have visit some junkyards to find the graal.....PINTO!

Here, we have a lot of different motor, from Ford Europe cars, like Scorpio, Sierra, etc.....and I have find THE KIT for my Frégate. An entire car, low miles, nice condition, good price, and I can have all I need (all shitty parts, like mechanical clutch cable, rubber mounts for gear box transmission and engine, pedal....).

I'm waiting news from the junkyard owner Monday.

Christmas time? ;)

For you guys, pic from Alain Sauquet for Nitro 284:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  27. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Glad to hear you've still got your "eyes on the prize"!

But one question: What does "KW" stand for as it relates to engine size? Certainly not kilowatts...

28. ken bogren

ken bogren

Yes it is Kilowatts. 1 KW = approximately 1.34 HP. So that 77 KW engine has abot 103 HP.

(I had to look that up on Google)

volvobrynk and Peanut 1959 like this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. I heard that there is more restrictions on driving in Paris
    If you were in the US, we have many engine options, that would work great

JT