Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects why don't hot rodders like them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutter_street_rodder, Dec 2, 2016.

1. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

Ok, first all I have been watching the discussion of '40 Ford pickups here lately, but...
    I have owned this '40 for 50 years now. Seems ever since I bought it up to now most hot rodders won't even take a passing glance at an older pickup. Geez, litterly the same frames and bodies, but?? Others say same in this area. Is it just Minnesota, or same all over? Seems nobody realizes that most pu's were trucks, and used really hard usually for longer than cars. So there is more work to make presentable looking. 20160813_173026.jpg

2. You must be living in the wrong town.
    There is much love here for these trucks.
    Ryan from here is lusting after one, and has a thread on this.
    There's probably a social group here for them, as well as many threads, build ups, and otherwise.
    Do a search, and discover the love.

Edit: I love your truck, nice stance.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

SERIOUSLY??!! Jeez, '40/'41 PU's are right at the top of my lust list. Nice truck by the way.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. rdynes01

rdynes01
    from colorado

That is a gorgeous truck you have. Obviously after 50 years of ownership you must really like it so do you really care that much what anyone thinks about it. Fuck anybody else thank you very much.....Bob

willumbilt, Dino64 and kiwijeff like this.

5. It's not your truck it's the rims and tires. :DPut some 40 ford wheels and some bias plies back on and everyone will be all over it. If it's all stock but the wheels and people don't look at it then you need to find new places to hang out at. I had a 40 pickup and regret I sold it. It was all stock. People here in California loved it. My number one year truck is 40 then 51. Yours is super nice and like bob says fuck em. Your at home here and btw we need more pictures....

lothiandon1940 and LOU WELLS like this.
  6. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Along with 53/56 f1's, 2nd gen 55/57 chevy's pickups and panel trucks, all50's era ranchero's and el camino's and 55/57 nomad's , Most sought after hot rod shop trucks of all time!!!!!!!!!!

7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Beautiful truck,I would go out of my way to check it out.

Slopok and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. 117harv

117harv

Waaaaaait, is this a gag thread?

504640, falcongeorge, Texas57 and 3 others like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like your truck :cool:
    I would go with different wheels however. Steel wheels with caps and trim rings would be better.

10. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I have a 41' Ford pickup I've owned since 1973....it needs lots more work, but I've driven it a few blocks now and then....everyone honks or flashes lights with 'thumbs up' passing by....I think it must be your area!!! A very popular design, and so sexy looking with those fenders and narrowed hood drooping to a tapered grille....it's hard to imagine any community NOT LIKING your truck!!! You've got a super nice ride...enjoy it to the fullest!;)

King ford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. 3340

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has to be. Come to any CA car show, and you will see that it is 30-40% custom trucks.

Hell, if you come to Northern CA, and find a custom '47-55.1 Chevy pickup, on bags, I probably did it. There was abut 18-months when that was all I was doing, one after the next.

One just got exported to Maryland, so you can find my work there, too.

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'll have it in my driveway any day!

14. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Keep the slots.......everyone does the steel wheel/rings/caps thing. Yours is refreshing!!

15. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Wow....What's not to like???? Great looking truck!

16. Really?..I have had 4 of these, and they always seem to draw positive attention (not that I need the reassurance-I build/drive them for me).
    Nice looking p/u, if nobody in your area appreciates it, they just don't get it.

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

They all probably just figure you know its cool and you dont need them to tell you.
    If you ever sell it, then they will tell you how much they liked it and how crazy you were for ever selling it.:rolleyes:...:D

18. Describe these "hot rodders"
    IMG_1480714865.733658.jpg

Spoggie, Texas57, LOU WELLS and 2 others like this.
  19. jetman

jetman
    from n.c.

Drive it like it is. When you don't have anything else to spend your money on, get other wheels if you want. No bias plys nessary

20. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We like 'em across the river here in western Wisconsin. The '40-'41 Ford pickups are arguably the most iconic pickups ever made. I don't know where you're coming from - every single person I know in the hobby would love to have one.

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's perfect as it is! Love it! Wish I had one just like it!

Spoggie likes this.
  22. I like it so much that I'll come and get it, then you won't ever have to worry about what everyone thinks again.:D

kbgreen, lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  23. 2935ford

2935ford

Watch the prices on BJ and compared to what is selling..........tell me pickups aren't scorching hot right now!

joeycarpunk likes this.
  24. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I beg to differ, agree with this guy:
    Halibrands, big 'n littles, love it! Bitching truck.

25. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

I had wide whites on red '50 Merc rims with caps, but took them off because I didn't like the caps extending beyond the rims when viewed from front end. These rims are a swap meet find that's really unusual. The fronts are 14" on 5.5 bolt circle that clears the stock drums. I also have a set of old Torque Thrusts for it. And yes, I am still in love with it!

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And I will disagree completely and offer this as my reasoning :) :D
    178666_Front_3-4_Web.jpg 178666_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg 178666_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

27. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

One thing about owning it that long is that I bought 4 NOS fenders waaaaay back for it

28. Seeing pics of both, I prefer the wheels that are on it over the steelies.

29. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

30. heritic88

heritic88

I would have to agree with everybody else trucks are the cats pajamas! Nothing better than a low, loud, and sideways truck coming around a corner. The next hod rod for me will be a 57 Chevy 3100. I dig your 40 too.

If at first you don't succeed get a bigger hammer, and if then you don't succeed, get a beer.