Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Update on the confused pickup ~ short video

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 1, 2016.

1. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

3-5/16" X 4" makes 276"+/- & was considered to be one of the best running & reliable motors for the "Oval-Racing Crowd" back in the day. Easy (& relatively inexpensive) to build, durable, &(for their time) performed well.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

If you like to live dangerously I have 8 3 3/8+=.030 X 4 1/8 pistons.

willumbilt and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. dan griffin

dan griffin

60 sum years ago 3/8X3/8 was a fairly common big flat head. 4 inch Merc. crank offset ground with 21a rods. The big guys ran 7/16 by 4 1/4. this was done with fairly new blocks.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. The parts have been purchased and the engine is going back together,thanks for all the shared knowledge on boring the Flatty. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. While Dave's 15203233_10210532712130842_9017133804955122961_n.jpg waiting on the engine rebuild he drug his old gas pump out of storage and restored it. HRP

Merlin, harpo1313, BradinNC and 7 others like this.
  6. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Flatheads are Not boring!
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

7. HRP - I am late to the party so I apologize. I will say that although I am running a stock bore flattie in my avatar, digging out the sand from the water jackets is key for any flathead to stay cool. I dug a gallon bucket of sand out of mine, digging with a long screwdriver and sucking up the sand in my shop vac. That is not including all the sand I flushed out with water between the 4-5 times I dug out the sand. That little flattie has proven itself time and time again so the 2-3 hours it took me to do that were well spent ....

Looking forward to seeing you with my new ride at the '17 all 32 run ....

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yes, I think flatheads are boring too!! Oh, wait a minute.. That's not what you asked, is it?? Sorry....

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

I have a '40 engine that I knocked the thin shell sleeves out of. Light hone, and it's .083" over bore with no machining! Finding pistons & rings kinda hard, but do able. And it runs cool.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Doesn't Eggs have these pistons? A very common thing to do back in the day ......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Racer1940

Racer1940

Haven't built a flathead since the early 60's but am in the process of doing an EAB. Question is how deep is the relief cut from the top of the deck to the top of the relief? Have three blocks and the best one to do has 2 exhaust to cyl. cracks. I would do the relief then plug the cracks. Any and all suggestions wanted...

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. My relief was 3/16. Or just shy of that.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Bore them 3 5/16" all the time. The important thing is that the water jackets aren't so rotten that you bore through or have thin spots. Clean cooling system and a good radiator, be just fine. 140414_0002.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. dwollam

dwollam

My '52 block in my '40 Tudor is .125 over and 4 1/8" stroke. Been that way for years. Originally it overheated but that stopped when I put in a new Walker radiator. Best $500 I ever spent.

Dave

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. BJR

BJR

If you want to bore a flathead, stand next to it and talk about replacing it with a SBC.

alanp561, treb11, Dons37 and 5 others like this.
  16. It's been 6 months but I am happy to report that the Flathead has been rebuilt and after running the engine through several heat cycles and re-torquing it is once again installed between the frame rails and sounds great!

Hopefully by next weekend everything will be wrapped up and Dave can start enjoying the confused pickup. HRP

17. Great news, Danny! Mighty glad to hear it. I'm always happy to hear about another successful flathead story.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Hey, Danny - great news. Love it when another flattie comes back to life!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Good news on the engine.
    I had the good fortune to meet Dave and drool over his truck in Knoxville. It's PERFECT!
    He even claimed, with some reluctance, to knowing you.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. I'm sure you met Dave but the truck in Knoxville was Steve's 32,,,Dave built it .'
    Hopefully,Dave's truck will be there this year. HRP

21. You are correct! Bitchin' regardless.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. The confused truck is running like a top,sounds great.

The only things left to be done is heat the shiftier and bend it slightly to clear the seat and make a boot.

Looks like it will be going to The Nat's South in a couple of months. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Merlin, harpo1313 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  23. Man, that is purdy, Danny....but you're gonna have to change your HAMB name to Golden Boy or something similar.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Hell of a good looking truck, Danny - miles of smiles brother!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Rocky,thanks for the compliment but this it NOT my truck,this one belongs to my pal Dave. HRP

26. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

What a tastefully done pickup. happy to hear its sorted and back on the road. any links to the build? or shots of the interior.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great truck, love it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. I honestly believe this is the coolest pickup our local group has built. HRP

Hotrodmyk likes this.