Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Extended cab Model A truck out of a Tudor Sedan?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by txoldrodder, Dec 1, 2016.

1. txoldrodder

txoldrodder

Has anyone built an extended cab pickup out of a Model A Tudor Sedan? If so let me know! How to pic's, Information, Etc!

4a0c08ff77d2d45a3e07228c2bf348a6.jpg

Hdonlybob and irishsteve like this.
  2. verde742

verde742

lots of them...:)

3. That's been done several times different ways. To me the Crew cab thing just looks wrong. If I were going to do one I'd lengthen the doors to make a better profile and make more leg room. Just my .02 worth.
    The Wizzard

clem, -Brent-, barrnone50 and 2 others like this.
  4. john dioli

john dioli

A Vicki with a bed

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I agree that the extended cab usually just looks wrong, but I have seen some, a few, nice ones. One that worked well was made from a coupe.

Stogy likes this.
  6. Why not a Model A 'Fleetside' instead? Shorten the roof, but keep the Tudor body sides...

southerncad, Stogy and vtx1800 like this.
  7. I like that idea. Kind of like a semi Ute model. That could work. Someone should photo shop that.
    The Wizzard

Stogy likes this.
  8. A C Fibreglass here in New Zealand produces such a body based on their 1930 Coupe.

A_Pickup_ACFibreglass.jpg

The photo shown is from the "Standard model A and T quote" they sent me a year or so ago when I enquired after their T roadster price. It looks ok but this is the only one I've ever seen, I've never actually seen one built up.

http://www.acfibreglass.co.nz/

Glen.

Stogy, vtx1800, Hdonlybob and 7 others like this.
  9. I wouldn't do a pick up out of it but,,,,,

image.jpeg

Would you put it on a longer frame or run a short bed?

stanlow69, Dean Lowe, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  10. Scooter built a pretty slick ride from a 4 dr.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here's were you decide if your running a short bed or a longer wheel base frame.
    Just like today's trucks, an extended cab is longer wheelbase frame vs standard

Okie Pete, Stogy, Just Gary and 7 others like this.
  11. bigloser

bigloser
    from Mesa,AZ

12. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I think the trick would be the proportions of the rear side window to the window. Needs to be similar to a '32 5 window IMHO. :cool:

13. image.jpeg

^^^^This one looks like a truck back panel with a 4dr roof section.
    Was that a photo shop ?
    image.jpeg

A 2 dr has a big return after 1/4 window before it goes around the roof.
    That's going to give you problems on a pick up.
    image.jpeg

And no- It's not a Vicky with a bed
    image.jpg

Expand the lower quote
    Here's a teaser.
    image.jpeg

Stogy likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

The green one seems to work nicely but I think it's because it isn't chopped. The height of the cab makes up for the unusual length. The chopped and channeled ones look odd to me.

I sold some 4 door sedan quarter window sections to a guy in California that grafted them onto some other A pieces to make an extended cab pickup body, his looked pretty good.

A Tudor sedan seems like the most difficult body to make this out of. Extending a pickup cab to include quarter windows, or eliminating the back doors of a 4 door, or even taking the quarters off of a coupe, all seem like they'd be easier/cleaner.

15. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

This is PHOTO/CHOP. Pretty bad but to get the bed stock size you would have to really cut the back window vertically.

upload_2016-12-2_20-53-35.png

Okie Pete and Squablow like this.
  16. Extended cab trucks have a longer wheel base.
    Set that up the With stock bed length & longer WB.

17. There's always the crew cab too

image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

18. I'm thinking ext but outta this fordor carcass

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like #10 post of a 4 door to extended cab.

20. It's not a Model A, but here is a pic of my 37 Ford Ute just for ideas. It has a shorter rear quarter window and a more vertical back window than a coupe. I can't tell you how many people here in USA think I built it out of a coupe/sedan/delivery. I tell them body is 100% as Ford Australia built it. It's no longer this color, and has been off the road in paint jail for about 7 years now. I really need to get it back on the road. DSCF2042.JPG

Okie Pete, Stogy, Just Gary and 3 others like this.
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I remember your 37 ute when it had no floor and was bare bones here in tasmania

23. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I believe I would just put a delivery door on the sedan.. A lot less work and everything is enclosed.. But trucks are cool too....

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Tri-Power

Tri-Power
    from Memphis

Here's mine, started 13 years ago, now with 6500 miles under its belt. Started with a 1930 Sedan. 128" wheelbase, handmade bed curved to fit the body. It looks very similar to the op's first pic.

Attached Files:

coupe33, Okie Pete, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  25. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's my old truck which I no longer have. I stretched it 4 inches in the doors. Before I did anything, I drew it up on graph paper as closely as I could, with quite a few variables such as extended cab, and various top chops. 100_3930.jpg 100_3942.jpg 100_3949.jpg I just didn't like the extended cab version. Thus, I went with this. Only problem was, the 4 inches I gained, I then lost cause I reversed the firewall, which was protruding about 2 inches into the engine compartment, and when turned around, made a total of 4 inches of lost foot space at the pedals. I lost what I thought I had gained in foot room because of it. Cab was chopped very badly when I got it, 4 1/2 inches on one side, and 4 1/4 inches on the other. I mocked it up before I did anything and my head was touching the underside of the roof. Put it back to stock height for that reason, and I'm only 5' 9" tall. With the doors stretched, it gives it the illusion that the top has a slight chop, which it does not.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Interesting proportions here, I'd definitely stop and take a second look...
    Understand about the firewall reversal, made that discovery on my customer's '30 pickup.
    Had everything in place, set the firewall and customer came to check 'fit'.
    Turned out he didn't. (fit!) Firewall was then fabricated from A-K 18 ga. steel.
    Live and learn...

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There was a '34 pickup in Farmersville (Speed Frame Engineering) A F.E.D. racer took the '34 and added an extra door length (from 2 cabs) and bed was shortened to 5 feet.
    Looked factory, and yes, wheelbase was stretched. (130"? Not sure, but around there)

His friend did a '57 Ranchero Crew Cab, added a door, also 'factory looking'.
    Both were excellent, in profile and finish.

28. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

That truck just looks right? Extended cabs don't looks correct.

RidgeRunner and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. 31Apickup

31Apickup

That surprisingly looks good, I could use that 4” in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app