Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods In search of an old A/Altered

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by imanut, Oct 31, 2016.

1. imanut

imanut

Hi Guys, I was hoping that someone might be able to help me track down information on a drag car from the past. I’m related to Vic Hoogendoorn, he and the guys built and raced the “Super-T” A/Altered in the Connecticut & Rhode Island area back in the day. All I really know is that he sold it to Lou Allevo in the early 70’s and Lou continued to race it.

When Vic was racing, the car went through a couple of build through the years, here are a couple of pictures from it at Connecticut Dragway. If anyone knows the Allevo family or if they have seen the car in their travels, I would love to see if it survived and if I could get Vic to see it again. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Deuces, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  2. imanut

imanut

Here are a few more pictures of the car from the photo album. The last picture was one of the original versions of the car.
    turtlelg.jpg vhsupert_5lg.jpg vhsupert_2lg.jpg V and Joe.jpg

chryslerfan55, Deuces, Stogy and 7 others like this.
  3. Roothawg

Roothawg

No, but that was a high dollar car in its day. Really nice car. Good luck finding it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  4. Trick or treat!

Stogy likes this.

5. imanut

imanut

Thanks. I have a feeling i'll need the luck. He gave me the trailer in the last picture. I guess that is a start! hahaha...

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  6. AHotRod

AHotRod

There is a Facebook page named: New England Hot Rod and Kustom Historical Society.
    Maybe some help?

7. imanut

imanut

Just wanted to give a quick update. Thanks to a fellow HAMB member, I was able to locate an Allevo family member. They did not have any info about where the car is today, but they were able to give me another lead for someone who may. The search continues...fingers crossed. Here are a few pictures from the photo album and his Connecticut Dragway TOP DOG pass. scan0019.jpg scan0036.jpg scan0048.jpg

8. imanut

imanut

One last update. As I mentioned in the previous post, a HAMB member was able to point me to the Allevo family. After a few conversations, I was able to track down Lou Allevo's son. He was able to confirm that his dad did buy the Super T in 1973. He raced it for 4 years then sold it to Ed Prout. He also said that within the first 6-12 months of Ed owning the car, it crashed at the track. Body and chassis were too damaged to repair. Not really the ending I had hoped for, but it was nice to talk to the family that bought and raced the car. Also wanted to say thank you for the help getting me in the right direction. One last picture... here is one of the cards Vic wrote up when selling the car. Just need a time machine and $5k.... For-Sale.jpg

9. Fordors

Fordors

I was always an Altered fan and that T sure was a beautiful example of a well done car. BTW, Vic's Top Dog card was signed by Frank Maratta, I bet a few of the older Hot Rod Mag readers remember Maratta's Rake.

10. loudbang

loudbang

Was that Ed Prouty of Ford dragster fame? Did he put an FE ford in it? you might try searching Ed Prouty or proty on the HAMB there are a few photos of his cars posted or try contact member "Bangkok Dean" by "starting a conversation" with him he was active in Rhode Island during those years and he has posted some drag roadsters from that area he may know something

11. imanut

imanut

Thanks Loudbang. I believe that is the same Ed Prout, he was a big ford guy. From what I can find, he didn't own it long before the wreck.

12. loudbang

loudbang

If you are still looking around Ed was living on Terryville Ave in Bristol CT managing/running a scooter business of all things.

13. imanut

imanut

Hi Guys, circling back on a SUPER old thread. Sharing a quick update on my search for the "Super T" A/A Altered. After searching for the car for years, I had heard that it was wrecked. That was all until I received a note from a fellow HAMB'er to say that he bought the car from Ed Prout and put it back together with a small block chevy. That sparked the search again a couple of years ago. Since then, I learned it went through a few hands and was eventually named "The Rhino" and was raced through Lebanon Valley. I was able to track it down and purchase back many of the parts (from 4 different people) including the original Logghe chassis. I was not able to get the original body as that is currently on a brand new chassis with the owner getting ready to race it in the Nostalgia class in 2024. Just to be able to buy back the remaining parts and start the restoration of the Super T is absolutely incredible. Talking to the dozen + people who have owned it over the years is a story in itself, meeting them along the journey and documenting its history is almost as good as having it back home....great people and great stories. Plus....seeing the look of on my uncles face as he sat in the chassis 50 years after selling it was absolutely priceless. It is currently in my garage and slowly collecting period correct parts to resurrect it. More updates to come as budget and parts arrive. :) Gotta love the power of the HAMB and its members. Quick pictures of it as the Rhino and then the pile of parts currently growing.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      389 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      245.4 KB
      Views:
    • image2.jpeg
      image2.jpeg
      File size:
      1,004.9 KB
      Views:
  14. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

That's amazing! Glad you were able to track most of it down and bring it back for your family.

Stogy likes this.
  15. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Killer

Stogy likes this.
  16. Nice update and congratulations on getting most of it back

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations, reaching out hard work and the assists from your fellow members helping unravel the mystery...that is a beauty...Hopefully you can source out a body...was that real steel?

chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  18. SS327

SS327

That is so cool! Once you start on the restoration you have to keep this thread going!

Just Gary likes this.
  19. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

This is a great story, I've always loved Altereds. Thanks for sharing. You sent me down my own nostalgia trip.... Sidebar:
    The guy that ran the one real speed shop in my home town (Bobby Kleiner, The Auto Den, Dubuque, Iowa), built a '23 T altered as a "house" car about the time I started getting interested in drag racing as a young teen. The car sat in their show room and his wife would polish the aluminum. Always looked killer. I remember going there with my dad to get a carb kit for his truck or something, but I was mesmerized by the thing-see this was the early 80's, there wasn't much hot rodding going on in those parts then. 14 year old me just day dreamed about pulling to the line in that thing....Never even heard it run! Good luck on the journey & please post lots of pics!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and SS327 like this.
  20. imanut

imanut

I wish it was steel, I would have had a body for it already. I'm still looking for an older fiberglass body like it had originally. I am not really a fan of putting new stuff on an old car. Plus most of the newer bucket bodies have street rod style dashboards and other changes. Not afraid of doing glass work, but just havent found the "right" body yet. So its on the search list along with looking for coil over shocks, Clutchflite and old school wheelie bars... and....and...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  21. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

So cool that you tracked it,,, and will bring it up to spec now.
    Nice to know ( for me ) steel buckets are still out there.

Stogy likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's great that along with the physical details the pics and supporting documents really round out the experience...
    That is a very admirable passion for past greatness...I wish you all the best in locating the items that will faithfully fulfill the restoration of the beast that it is...best part of that is we'll be in the loop as you make progress with it...thanks for bringing things back to the top...;)

chryslerfan55 likes this.