Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Caddy 472

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pie pie, Nov 30, 2016.

1. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Do many use the,472/500 cadillac engines? I'll be picking one up for new project to have something different.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. wsdad

wsdad

3. BJR

BJR

My son has one in his 47 International pickup, and I am building a 49 Buick with a 472 also.

4. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

Zerk and RaginPin3Appl3 like this.

5. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I'm building one right now. I'm building it to 1970 specs. It will be basically stock except for a .030 overbore, Performer intake, a cam upgrade from Maximum Torgue Specialties and a HEI distributor. I planning to put it in the truck in my avatar.

falconsprint63 likes this.
  7. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

that is kinda what my thought is on it. makes enough power just needs some sound to it and dress it up. should be dead reliable as well. unusual to see one.

8. godlemmy

godlemmy

Google 500 cadillac motor. There are a few companies making parts. Cam intake headers and it will make over 300 hp. Lighter than a bbc

Sent from my SCH-I435 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. southerncad

southerncad

Yup, will make you a good Fordillac!

10. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Subscribed. Always wanted to do this

What'cha got in there, kid?

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

500" in my '55, T-400 behind it...gas mileage isn't great but it's got lots of power...

R-

DPP_0212.JPG

chriseakin, Hdonlybob and loudbang like this.
  12. 73RR

73RR

Gobs of low rpm torque. Mileage is always dependent on how hard you work the 'fun' pedal....;)
    Decent looking 55 to start with.

13. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i have a couple of those engines,and a standard flywheel and a new set of roller rockers,and an alum intake.
    I really should sell all that stuff.

14. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

I will post more pictures after I get it pulled out of the weeds to see what all I have to work with.

15. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Godlemmy, my stock 472 was rated at 365Hp and 525 ft. lbs. of torque. I bumped it up at little with 9.8-1 pistons and an RV type cam and springs. I wanted a stock converter and reliability for long trips. It should be fun. If I could have found a 500 crank I would have bought the 500 pistons. But, 500 cranks are not cheap now. I did find an Eldorado rear sump pan and pickup from a fellow Hamber. Caddy.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  16. Jibs

Jibs

Yep, good engines. I have a 472 in my 47 Chevy sedan, 22 years, probably 120,000 miles, 20 miles to the gallon at 70 mph. Also have a 500 in my avatar, lots of torque. 47.jpg

MO_JUNK likes this.
  17. BJR

BJR

1970 Cad 472 is listed as 375 HP with around 500 lbs of torque BONE STOCK..

18. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is weird. An old school buddy called me this morning and asked if I wanted a 472. I told him no but maybe I need to check into this some more. Good stuff here.

pie pie likes this.
  19. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I had a 69 Coupe DeVille that I sold earlier this year. The 472 is not an attractive engine, but man did that thing have grunt!

20. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

21. Rand Man

Rand Man

22. They are great engines. You won't regret it. My avatar sedan has the 472. It has thousands of miles on it. It's been abused for 13 years and still runs mid 11's in the 1320. Just don't over-rev(past 4400 rpm). In stock form the valve train is the weak link. I have another 472 that's gonna get some speed goodies and then it'll go in the Sedan. Hoping to just break in to the 10's.

73RR and MO_JUNK like this.
  23. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

24. advice from someone who's been there..
    Prolly a good idea to wrap the exhaust pipe where it gets anywhere near the starter, and then look up or google the GM starter remote solenoid conversion. It amounts to using a Ford style starter solenoid in a cooler location such as firewall or fender because the GM starter is getting cooked. It was a common prob on relatively stock v8 Chevies a long time ago.
    I recommend an oil temperature gauge in the oil pan. You need to monitor the oil temp to tell you when you have a heat problem. You can save a crankshaft that way. It took me two crankshafts to learn the hard way how to make the Studellac last on long trips while towing. Nothing was out of the ordinary until a few hours on the highway, then the heat-soak reached its limits and the temps started climbing to failure levels. Oil cooler time! Now I can tow cross country with no probs. If you tow or drive on long trips, there will be a tremendous amount of heat to get rid of, and most engine compartments have dead air places that will let the temperatures slowly climb to critical levels, but only during a long drive.
    Lots of engine compartment air flow, oil cooler, a carefully planned heat shield or two, and you can make it work in a smaller car that wasn't made for such a huge huge heat output :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  25. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Go for it! They are great engines. They make tons of torque, the blocks have a high nickel content so they are danged tough. Dimensionally they are not that big of an engine and only weigh 50 or so pounds more than a SBC. Here's mine in a 49 Ford truck.
    [​IMG]

Bobby

26. Yes. Floats valves after that. Trust me these Cadillacs pull hard in a light weight car up until that point when tuned correctly. Many including myself have been surprised by the performance these engines.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  27. godlemmy

godlemmy

The hp stats before 1972 were for gross hp. After 72 they were net hp. Look in a chilton. Same motor but rated under 300 hp. Definitely need to upgrade valve train for more than just a cruiser. Just dropped one in my OT monte carlo. Can't wait to start on my 39 dlx so I can put one in that too.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

73RR and loudbang like this.
  28. Jibs

Jibs

Heres a example of what happens when you go over 5000 on a burn out. 8-piston 1.jpg

Racer29 and loudbang like this.
  29. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

not the prettiest engines but torque monsters. I'd go with a pre emissions 472 over the 500 given the choice based on all my reading on the subject.

I usually use earlier ohv caddy power, though

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker and loudbang like this.
  30. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

If you can find it, I'd highly recommend the book "Big Inch Cadillac" by Doc Frohmader.
    [​IMG]

Its a fantastic book with tons of great info. The main article is pretty interesting about how he built one of these engines. But along with the main article is lots of good info on parts interchange, specs, and availability. If you can find a copy for a good price, snag it.

Bobby

clunker and loudbang like this.