Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dodge This - 1939 Dodge Southeast Gasser Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dog_Patch, Aug 12, 2014.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Still do, only now I'm using the old school Isky rev kit on a hydraulic (heavy) roller.
    It's an all aluminum Rodeck 427 cubic inch SBC street engine that will probably never see more than ahout 7000 rpm. A lot of opinions on this, may be a waste of money, we will see.

Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  2. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

Good to know about the side curtain air bags needing to be cut.
    Also a reminder why you should always have two hands on the wheel. Makes those quick corrections possible. Probably why you don't see NASCAR drivers and others one handing the wheel.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. loudbang

loudbang

And don't drive with your thumbs wrapped completely around the wheel. Was driving at O dark thirty and Bambi decided it was his time to commit suicide and darted out right in front of my cruiser no time to brake even BANG.

Long story short airbag in the center of the steering wheel deployed and the force tore my hands from the wheel about tearing my thumbs off resulting in bad sprains and a lot of pain. The rest of the fingers just kind of slid off the wheel but the thumbs are more muscular and in reaction to the noise one tends to grip harder which makes things worst.

End result not I drive with my thumbs parallel to the wheel and not wrapped around behind it.

You get nice "Road Burn" abrasions even through winter clothing when they deploy on your foreamrs and the car get full of dust like someone let off a DC fire extinguisher in the car.

powrshftr and Dog_Patch like this.
  4. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I think D gas are running 1/8 mile numbers that are very very close to this, and you can add a healthy pickup in the ET due to modern day glue on tracks that wasn't around in '67, and tire compounds they could only have dreamed of. Gene Cromer picked up quite a bit of ET based on those two factors when the Moonlighter returned to racing.

5. glrbird

glrbird

I think it all started with tire treatments that you would paint on the slicks then came the glue you would do a short burnout in. Tire tec and compounds got better and no need to coat the tires. about that time late 80's the sprays came out and the tracks started prepping the tracks. At least that is what I remember. Concrete starting lines were better that asphalt but only after it got some use, spray glue made that better.

6. I have never seen a ford pump apart so I don't know. I can say they look like the innerds of a big or small block mopar.

7. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Quieres algunos cigarros?

8. Hahaha! Maybe about time!

Got the bottom end apart and need to take it to Johnny to get it magged and honed. The only real wear is the thrust bearing face and its not too bad.
    660632-039-11.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  9. In other news - finally caught this guy on film stealing pumpkins - right out of the front yard o_O

IMG_0011a.jpg

powrshftr, enloe, allwilly and 3 others like this.
  10. thats normal on a stick car. the thrust takes all of the abuse every time the clutch is pushed in.

loudbang likes this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Make sure you have room for rear main seal walk.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  12. I plan to put in a new thrust bearing, but when is it a 'fail' ? How much wear is too much?

Also saw on a post somewhere that a guy cuts extra oil notches in the thrust bearing face - but seems like that reduces the surface area too .....

loudbang likes this.
  13. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Seems to me one of the best things you can do for the thrust bearing is always fire up in neutral, clutch pedal NOT depressed so as to let oil get on the thrust face before you depress clutch.
    That buck looks to be a solid 8 pointer, all that ever come in my yard is the does and fawns. Haven't seen a buck in a long time. But I do have lots of deer and they trigger my motion activated back door light off and on all night.
    Sure glad to see the rain this morning, been over 2 months here at my house since we got anything worth mentioning. News says Gatlinburg, TN burning up, and Dollywood in danger!
    Have an old friend who lives in Sevierville, TN which is in same area, hope he and his are OK.

14. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Yum Venison, LOL Gary

15. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Moderately poor analogy.

It would be like Revolutionary War reenactors with long rifles/kentucky rifles chambered in 7.62x51mm/.308 and converted to centerfire instead of flintlock.

The 2016 parts are in the inside that no one can see and the result is the same. If someone is running 60's engine architecture/bolt patterns, then who cares what size the motor is or how good the heads are compared to 1967?

You're seemingly suggesting if someone were to build a SEG sbc then they would have to use 461 heads, 3/4 ton steel crank offset ground, pink rods, 5/64 rings, etc. Throw a couple of thousand at a 300HP motor when you could spend the exact same money for the exact same looking external motor and have a 500HP motor.

Then where does that line of thinking end? Are you going to rip on someone for not running a muncie? Chastise someone for not running a vertex or cirello mag?

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^X2

Dog_Patch likes this.
  17. just check the end play with a indicator. pry the crank forward and back. I don't have the spec in my hand but there is a spec. it was not uncommon for me to change the thrust mid season. its just one of the things you have to accept when you run a stick.

loudbang and Dog_Patch like this.
  18. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

OMG!!! That's my motor!!! Lol

19. Danny G

Danny G

How would you police the use of new parts on say 44 cars at a race and don't say the honor system. There is no honor system in drag racing . Quain cant police it, hes busy enough already and plus he wants to race. There is not enough usable good parts to keep these running considering normally 2 engines are hurt ay every event with the good better parts. Plus if everyone had to use the old inards the performance would fall off so bad , no one wants to see a slow ass drag race and that's what you would have. This is the best program going, cars have to look right,maintain a weight to cubic inch, and have engine cubic inches checked if you win. Plus the people that should bitch about the newer parts is the racers and all they want to do is race. This is the largest group of racers I have ever seen that get along and help each other

20. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Danny is dead on. I have raced off and on for almost 4 decades in all types of racing. Actual flat out cheating is usually spotted pretty quickly by others in competition. The competition in the SEG is very close and I think it will be even closer in 2017. In fact, it is so close that if anyone would be doing something blatantly illegal, it would stick out like a sore thumb. I think the fact that there is no huge prize money to win is one of the big reasons that keeps everyone pretty honest. Is everyone 100% legal? Probably not. But as long as no one is "running away from the field" I consider it all good. I can guarantee I will be back for next season. I hope the pits are full at every event. Besides... it feels even better if you can trailer someone who is "questionably legal" :D

21. Wish I could have spent more time hanging out with you at the finals Danny - did you break your car?

22. Yes its a TR Waters girdle, very nice piece.

23. Here's a new name for a gasser - Barely Legal - although there may have been a video series by that name ;)

24. they are stock diameter

25. Bad Banana

Bad Banana

Hahahaha.. yea.. that is about as inappropriate as "Bad Banana" or "Quick and Dirty"...LMAO :p:D

powrshftr, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  26. Danny G

Danny G

Yes I tore the center out of the clutch disc in qualifying. I don't know why I can run the car every where else and something always happens when I come up to one of the seg races. I didn't get the tires wet enough for the burnout, but I still had a good time. This new head rule should help you out. I have the car scattered now , I was planning on painting it this off season but wont have that much time plus the bondo people would have to work overtime to have enough. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the opener

27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tony We had to put extra oil to the rear main on the 426 style hemi that we ran in Pro Mod but the thrust was in the center main on that style block. Not sure on the 392 block like you run. We had to have the extra oil because of the weight of the heavy 3 disk clutch hanging of the back of the crank.
    With all of the clutch pressure we ran there was never a problem with the thrust. Make sure your not coil binding your pressure plate springs or something crazy like that because you should not be having that problem. It could ruin your crank if ran that way very long.

28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What is :the new head rule"referred to by Danny G in post #2840?

Tudor likes this.
  29. I check the air gap often so I don't think it coil binding. How did you increase the oil flow? One thing that is different this year is the oil weight - using 10/40 this year - ran 20/50 last year.

Here is Nick opening up the stack injection :)

30. The rules aren't final yet but for A/G we are trying to keep the head closer to stock to limit the cost of running in A/G. Stock valve angle is just fine by me :D

loudbang likes this.