Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why does my fuel gauge always read full?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

I hooked up my new AutoMeter fuel gauge yesterday and it read FUll... and I know the tank is not full. It's a brand new gauge, brand new 66 Mustang sending unit in a new 66 Mustang gas tank. I ordered the fuel gauge that was supposed to go with that sender... so why is it reading ful and how can I fix it? I leave for The Roundup on Wednesday!

2. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

Check your ground.

3. 4tford

4tford

Wire to sending unit open or bad ground. Make sure wire has continuity from the sending unit to the gage and check for a good ground at the sending unit to the chassis.

4. mikeyboy

mikeyboy

Check the resistance of the sending unit vs. what the gauge is calibrated for. I had the same problem with my application, (stock 66 mustang sender) and an ultralight gauge. Called ther tech line & was told to send the gauge in to have them recalibrate it...no charge. Got it back & has worked like a champ.

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have a similar problem with my Mustang tank/ sending unit, its at half full. Do you know what Ohms the factory Mustang unit is My classic instruments gage is wrong I think...

6. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Take the wire off the sender and check the gauge, then ground the wire and check the gauge. It should read empty and full, if this doesn't change, the problem is somewhere between the wire and the gauge, not the sender.

7. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I just installed a stock early seventies Ford truck gage in my A with a new fuel cell and sender and it wouldn't work unless i put the voltage drop on that Ford used to use in the sixties

8. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Good point. When I went to 12v mine wouldn't even work right with a ceramic resistor, I had to use an instrument voltage drop. Don't know if that helps him.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

How much of a drop? where can I get a voltage drop today? I think if i ask for one at Auto ZOne they'll look at me like I asked for a doohickey.

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Did you get a 74-10 gauge?

11. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york