Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New paint removing tool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Nov 29, 2016.

1. loudbang

loudbang

kidcampbell71 and ChefMike like this.
  2. models916

models916

I may have to have one of those. $199 is not unreasonable.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there has been paint stripper wheels made of similar material around for a long time - but, are used as attachments for use with hand drills, etc - looks like they have multiplied the width of the normally about 1" a few times over - have used the smaller style on cars and wood for small projects & work well

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    zombiecat and loudbang like this.
  4. belair

belair

5. UNSHINED 2 and loudbang like this.
  6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Also looks like something that will remove heavy peeling paint from wide clapboard on houses. The varied grit should smooth it right out without fuzzing the wood up.
    I may have to get one of these.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Abomb

Abomb

Petejoe and Texas57 like this.
  8. To be fair you have to include the price of a grinder to use those to compare the two as this is a tool not just a strip disk. I have seen numerous videos of this unit being used and it it WAY faster than those round paint stripping disks.

clem, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  9. Clik

Clik

Too bulky.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, you are :D

I like it, and can see where it would be a handy tool to have.
    I'm going to have my RPU body blasted however because there are places that I could not get to with that tool.

michael knight likes this.
  11. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

Just went to Eastwoods site, everything is out of stock.

12. Abomb

Abomb

True, but I have a hard time believing that a guy willing to strip his own car doesn't have one already...but, if not, they're available for less than $20 at the same store.

I'm not knocking the tool, don't get me wrong...I'm just an infamous cheapskate. There's a million ways to skin a cat, I want the cheapest and most efficient way, and I'd also like the cat at a discount.

midnightrider78, slack and Texas57 like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Like someone said, "$200 will buy a lot of these..." I used a wheel called a "Paint Eater" last time I stripped a hood, they are around $10, fit on a common angle grinder and worked about the same as the new tool. It's worth looking into though. Too bad the replacement rolls are so expensive.
    I wonder how long they last - could one strip say, a whole Model A coupe with a little rust and a little old paint with a single roll? Or will it take four @ $60 each.

loudbang likes this.
  14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I just happen to have watch a video the other night where a guy compared it and a kind of similar tool from Porta Cable and his old stand by 4.5 grinder with a stripping disk. He used his panel truck project as a test sample with three areas about a foot and a half square . they all did the job okay , The eastwood tool was the quickest. But he said it did build up some heat, that it got heavy after a few minutes. I am just afraid it would end up like a few other tools I bought over the years. They worked great , but like this one the abrasive wheel is unique to the tool and not universal. Next thing you know you cannot source the wheel and like a few I have sitting in a cabinet collecting dust because I can't stand to throw away a perfectly good tool. So I guess I will just stick to my old buffer that has a hookit pad on it that takes 8" mud hog disc's and 3m strip it disc in a die grinder for tight areas and channels. Larry

15. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

The cost of the drums is a deal breaker for me.

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Those drums are expensive the finishing drum is $19.99.
    http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-contour-sct-finishing-drum.html
    The rubber sanding drum is also $60 and the sanding sleeves for them are $5.99 each.

Not being able to source cheaper consumables would get old fast with the only source being Eastwood.

17. For us up here they would be ridiculous as they would cost $80 by the time we got one to our door and as One Bad Merc pointed out being proprietary you are screwed if Eastwood stops having them made.

Blue One likes this.
  18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wait a week and they'll be available from Harbor Freight for $19.99....if you ave a coupon !

19. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

I would be willing to put money to say that I can strip a car faster with a variable speed buffer with a 8" pad and 180 mud hog paper, and cost a lot less.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Porter Cable makes the same tool, been around a few years. If I remember right its closer to 100$ at Home Depot or Lowes. Replacement drums are cheaper than 60$ also... edit, PC calls it a "restorer"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  21. zombiecat

zombiecat

loudbang likes this.
  22. slack

slack

Just standby. When the patent expires there will be several iterations to choose from and the drums will come down. Sixty bucks!!? Sheesh :confused:. On the other side of the coin, it looks like the shizz-nit and it's 100 bucks cheaper than I thought it would be. I may have to go ahead and pull the trigger on this one. Thanks to Loudbang for the heads up.;)

loudbang likes this.
  23. We use a similar roll like that at work to clean up liner bores on the big CAT engines, They work very well, but do not last long.

loudbang likes this.
  24. I was gonna say just that!
    So I'll just agree.

slack likes this.
  25. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Patent should be up pretty soon, we have had one of these at work for at least 10 years. But it is made by FLEX. They do work well...

loudbang likes this.
  26. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Porter Cable model PXRA2676 Multi Surface Restoration Tool

I found a comparison video:

(Looooong... skip to 10:00 to see the testing)

In a nutshell, the video indicates that the Eastwood Contour SCT seems to work close to twice as fast with less heat but weighs a lot. The PC tool seems to work in comparable time to a grinder. Both put a linear finish in the piece where the grinder puts a swirl.

Brandon McCall and Tim like this.
  27. RockinRivi

RockinRivi

Has anyone pulled the trigger & bought one?

If so, have u put the tool to the test?

I need to strip a car. This would be my first time. This tool looks like it'll make fast work of my project…price will sting a bit tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  28. TagMan, I would love to see that.We have a new Harbor Freight right in town now.Bruce.

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

On the price point of the consumables.

They are twice if not three times the size of the porter units. So while per "cubic measurement" they are more expensive than the porter you are getting quite a bit more material per roll.

Go watch that long ass video posted it answers all the questions.

Also yeah it's all over Instagram and they love it. I know @Flop has got one

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    loudbang and Flop like this.
  30. Flop

Flop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't use it much for paint removal more for finishing but have used both machines and the Eastwood machine is far superior . I get about 2 cars out of a scotchbrite drum . Eastwoods scotchbrite is also way better then the competitors .

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    biggeorge, patmanta, rod1 and 5 others like this.