Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage El Mirage race question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopyshots, Oct 24, 2016.

1. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

Long time no see. Looks like this place got a nice makeover. Looks good.

I'm going to the races at El Mirage Nov. 12-13 with my uncle and I was wondering if people take golf carts there to ride around? My uncle is older and has tired feet. I've looked at some pictures and I don't see a lot of small transportation methods in the pictures, maybe on purpose. I've been to Bonneville and everyone has some weird contraption to ride around.

What do people use to get around? Their normal car? Bicycle? ATV, Golf cart? Magic carpet? Is there a fee to use a golf cart in the area? I saw one for ATVs but it looks like that's a different area.

While I have your attention are there any super cool stuff in the area I should go see? I found some stuff on google maps like an airplane junk yard and a dirt airfield with cool stuff. I made a mobile friendly map to use when I'm there, maybe I'll post it later.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Most people just drive there car to where they want to go. It's not nearly as big as Bonneville. I don't remember seeing any golf carts. I have seen lots of other strange ways of cruising around. If I was you, I would just take your car and use it to get around. P.S. I have been snowed on at El Mirage in November. With any luck it will be nice. But you never know.

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Rich, its been too long since you have been 'home'
    Its the land of golf carts, including Judy and Prozac's. You can bring anything to ride on including a motorized sofa.
    You can bring mini bikes, but once you get to trail bikes you have to have a helmet, and they have to be stickered.
    There is no extra cost for anything brought on to the lake bed, but you do pay a day rate of $18.00 if I remember right. If you plan to be there the whole meet, it will be from Friday to Sunday and a week pass might be cheaper.
    The airport junk yard is private yard that is rented out to Hollywood and is mostly closed, but they will sell you WWII landing strip 'strips' to build a vintage trailer.
    Another 'junk yard' on Google, is George Callaway's, the mayor of El Mirage and his yard is a personal yard and is out of the El Mirage Lake bed area, you see the whole area around the lake bed including the motor cycle riding areas are fenced in with large cable and large fence posts, so no sneaking in without paying.
    There is the rock bar that once had a landing strip and swimming pool, and is now an area to paint personal thoughts.
    Oh, the other landing strip by the airplane junk yard is used to train drone pilot's and so at times we can see the military drones flying around, they have Cessna's following close behind for safety.
    Now for the bad news, the rain is coming and if the lake bed is wet, no racing, so hold your breath. We got some rain as we left the bed yesterday.
    Anything else?

4. Thanks,that should cover it.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Motorized sofas I have seen. Golf carts, I have not. Some how, to me, golf carts just wouldn't make it there.

6. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We had enough down time with either the dust hanging or the wind too strong, couda done a couple of rounds of dirt golf this weekend.......

7. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

Thanks for the replies. I think we are leaning towards leaving the golf cart at home. It's a long way to haul it. My uncle lives in Yuma, AZ. I'm flying there then driving from there.

Are these helicopters? Or are these the drone copters you were talking about? The junk yard to the North is the mayor's personal collection? I don't want to go walk around it I just want to drive by and look. Same for the airplane junk yard, we don't have airplane junkyards in Virginia.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/3...!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d34.6486!4d-117.63154

8. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

No, the military drones, we are watching you and firing rockets from the sky drones. they look like flying rockets.
    When you get to the races, go to the Inspection area, where you will need to buy your arm band, and ask for George Callaway he might give you a tour, just remember to keep your jaw from dragging on the ground.
    The best airplane junk yard is right over in the Mojave airport area, that is the one that the Myth Busters used for their aircraft destruction fun and I think it is open to the public.

9. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

Thanks Typo. The airplane junk yard at Mojave airport doesn't look like it's open to the public.

Check out the map I made. It uses the geo location feature in your phone and puts a blue dot where you are and all the red dots are the things I added. It will make finding stuff out there easy. You can pin it to your homescreen if you are a noob going to the races.
    http://www.dynamitedave.com/ssl/elmirage.html

10. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

We had a great time. We met a great guy named Monty, he told us all kinds of good stuff. We also got to meet George Callaway and wander around his storage yard. There are some awesome cars in there. I have a million pictures and few videos, I'll try to post some soon.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

13. rgdavid

rgdavid

Lovely music !

14. cool.....thanks for sharing !