Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 39 Tudor,401 Buick,Four speed project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTFuzz, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Thanks guys, I have been collecting parts for years..... and now I'm having fun putting it together. All the guys here are telling me I shouldn't paint it and just keep the "High School paint job" look..........I'll start on the frame today.

2. I still have some repair work on the frame, a little rust through at the same spot the front spring hanger will mount........very common on these frames. Once I get that done I will be mounting the front crossmember.
    I can't spend as much time as I would like too on my own car.
    [​IMG]

3. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

It will deserve paint. Even if back with semi gloss, make it consistent.Washington blue,deep burgundy??????

4. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

Very cool build! I've been watching your avatars for a while and glad to see this car being built now!

5. I have been trying to get the motor together and get it out of the way. I ground the flash around the lifter bores in the vally.........what a mess. I had some problems with the cam bearings but finally got it squared away, I'll post a few pictures of what I did soon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tevintage

tevintage

Use the black fireball v eight valve covers, very trad and not seen as often. Looks like it will be a swell build. T

7. I haven't done much but I thought I would post pictures of what I have been working on.
    I started to install a TCI bolt on rear spring kit to hang my nine inch. Instead of bolting it on I decided to weld it in............ P1010725.JPG P1010726.JPG P1010728.JPG P1010729.JPG P1010732.JPG
    We haven't finished the boxing or welding ................this should give me room for an extra large fuel tank.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

just happened on this thread today, real hot rod, right motor. love the workmanship. please keep updating as you go.

9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great buildquality! Gotta love a manual shifted nailhead in a early Ford!

10. desotot

desotot

I'll be watching this build, nailhead with a 4spd sounds great.

11. gonzo

gonzo

CTFuzz Great start to an awesome car. I speak from experience when I say that a 401 in a 39- 40 Ford with a 4 speed is a damn fine combo! Fun for the whole family.
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and GreenMonster48 like this.
  12. gonzo.................Great picture, thanks for posting it. It will be going in my collection of Tudors!

13. P1010013.JPG P1010018.JPG P1010023.JPG P1010027.JPG I did get the crossmember welded together and installed to the frame. The body will go on next to see where the motor mounts will go. Here are a few pictures of the front crossmember and the jigs we built to complete the package.

14. Here's the jig we built...........................Next I cut out the pieces that will be used to make the "hat" that supports the spring and shock.

Attached Files:

15. Great work! Keep the progress pictures coming!

16. I'm back on it.............it rolls.
    P1010018 (1).JPG

Finn Jensen, gonzo and loudbang like this.
  17. Got some headers and mocked up the steering with some wood dowels........................ P1010015.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  18. Yes, it is a MII style suspension...................... P1010006 (1).JPG

19. Motor mount bracket uses stock Buick mount...............
    P1010014.JPG

loudbang and LongT like this.
  20. Nice looking project,your earlier post about not liking the the sunken tail lights,I don't mind them as long as the lens is sticking out past the body.I didn't like the rubber gasket being visible,sunk them in 1/2". 2016-03-30 11.28.40.jpg

Silva, loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. gonzo

gonzo

Glad to see you back on this one. Those headers were a good investment, proper exhaust flow will really wake these motors up. Where'd they come from?

22. Headers from Patriot Tight Tuck Street Rod Headers , Think I got them from Summit Racing, Gonzo.
    38 ford, I made spacers to bring my lights up..........pretty much like your great looking ride.

loudbang likes this.
  23. I put the Drag Star on just to get me excited...........I will start the motor with a four barrel and break in the motor, then get some new 97'S and run the six deuces......
    P1010062 (4).JPG

Jet96, gonzo, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  24. P1010007 (9).JPG P1010005 (9).JPG P1010009 (8).JPG Painted the frame and started assembly..................plumbing next.

loudbang likes this.
  25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Coming together very nicely, can't wait to see that nailhead and transmission where it should be :D

26. ditto, great to see a manual getting fitted, will be a fun drive.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

27. gonzo

gonzo

Been pretty quiet on this build thread. Hopefully it's coming along as it's shaping up to be a VERY nice car.

28. southcross2631

southcross2631

I remember my high school buddies 40 coupe with a 401 and ford 3 speed. It would knock out cluster gears all the time. He finally got sick of changing them out and replaced the whole thing with a Z/28
    drive train out of a 69 Camaro that a guy rolled.
    I put the 401 motor in a 37 Dodge pickup.

gonzo likes this.