Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The wait is over! Bought a 32 roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty8tudor, Nov 27, 2016.

1. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

I'll try to make a really long story as short as possible..

I first bought a 28 sedan to rat rod from North Dakota... Drove out from ohio and brought it back.. Got it home took it to town to get the title changed around..

Used to race little Atc threewheelers with some guys from town.. In the mix of everything I had said something about buying that 28 sedan.. One of the guys there (zombiecat here on the message board) said you should talk to my dad he builds old hotrods..

I went over and picked him up on another day to go to his dad's shop.. I can still remember vividly driving down the road and coming around the corner of the building and seeing his 32 roadster he had in primer at the time sitting out side running..

My exact words that i said to myself (in my head) was holly shit! Look at that roadster..

He was leaving for a cruise in cookout deal and calmly said you guys should swing over if ya want..

Went over and talked to the guys and they had seem me trailer the sedan through town already going to the title office.. Asked what my plan was with the car.. Told them and for some reason they didn't throw me out.. Haha. Instead they let me start to hag around with them and they got me set straight on what I should do with old fords..

Over the next 7 or so years I became very close to that guys dad.. He was a walking talking book of how to do cars.. He helped me with some issues I ran into with my roadster pickup build..

We were going to the Rebel run car show in Sidney ohio.. He asked if I wanted to ride along with him in his 32.. Couldn't turn that down.. That was the first roadster I ever rode in.. And that ruined me..

Anyway 6-7 months ago he unexpectedly passed away from a heart attack... I threw my truck together for his funeral and it looked like a patch work quilt... In the coarse of that his son and I with a few others were at his shop getting things sorted for his funeral and we had to fix a few little things on the 32.. And he asked me if I knew anyone who would be interested in the roadster..

He was probably going to have to sell it to fund a 32 three window his dad had bought and was getting started on.. I couldn't say me fast enough..

So ended up there was no will so it had to go through probate court.. Which took a long time due to the court and lawyers taking their dandy time..

But it also worked to my Benefit cause it gave me 6 months to have a fire sale and sell of a lot of stuff to come up with the funds..

Today was the day I finally brought it home..

Kinda fitting I make it half way home and ran out of gas hahaha.. Only funny cause when I tossed my truck together coming back from the funeral the temporary tank I had in the bed slid forward and pinched the line off and it ran it out of gas.. So it's like every first time I drove something I should just plan to run out of gas..

IMG_1480278640.635068.jpg

Waiting on my dad to bring gas back haha
    IMG_1480278657.008378.jpg

IMG_1480278694.575506.jpg

IMG_1480278712.182509.jpg

IMG_1480278730.944030.jpg

IMG_1480278742.418135.jpg

IMG_1480278758.009580.jpg

Cleaning out the old garage bay in the house and redoing it to put it in.. Halfway done now
    IMG_1480278800.544382.jpg

IMG_1480278813.834499.jpg

Going to paint the floor and put some wood on the walls to make it look like an old garage bay.. And then hang some pictures up of him.
    IMG_1480278872.511017.jpg

I have some tinkering to do with it and get some things straightened out on it but I am over joyed to have this car..

Lastly just in case someone wanted to ask.. It's never for sale.. :)

Back to work on the garage bay.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. brady1929

brady1929

Cool roadster

twenty8tudor likes this.
  3. 2935ford

2935ford

very nice!

twenty8tudor likes this.
  4. teejay99

teejay99

She's a beauty !!

twenty8tudor likes this.

5. twenty8tudor likes this.
  6. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Good on you. Nice ride. Wish it were mine and you had a nicer one.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Congratulations Jarod! How exciting for you!! Hope to see it some time.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Way too nice, and I mean that in the best way!
    Enjoy your new toy.
    KK

twenty8tudor likes this.
  9. deucemac

deucemac

Welcome aboard! Even the right color too! Having been a long time roadster owner myself, it's nice to see someone join our ranks. There are many things I enjoy about driving a roadster but there is one thing I find better in a roadster than any other form of transportation. That is cruising down the road on a starless summer night looking at how the headlights illuminate the road, the warm breeze, the endless stars wrinkling and the exhaust note burbling out the back. Getting caught in a heavy rain storm is as much fun as a hernia operation, but soon forgotten on that beautiful summer night, enjoy!!!!

twenty8tudor likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice Roadster, but the story that goes with it makes it priceless. Glad it has the proper home. Bob

Thor1, Speedwrench and twenty8tudor like this.
  11. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Ohhhhh.....I really like that car!!!....that is an awesome story....thanks so much for sharing!:D

twenty8tudor likes this.
  12. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

Great story and an even greater roadster, congrats!

twenty8tudor likes this.
  13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I'm not real sentimental .. But I'd say that car has the right owner if the son wasn't able to keep it

twenty8tudor likes this.
  14. I love the story. Im happy that you were able to hang out with the owner and got to know him. I think the roadster is a perfect car and I said way back on another thread that I love the single fog light and I'm putting a single fog light like that on my roadster. Keep it forever and he will always be right next to you on every drive. Now help his son build that 3w.... Take care and keep us updated with pictures when your out driving the highways.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  15. Sure liked the story, glad you got the car, looks killer!!!

twenty8tudor likes this.
  16. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

That's nice roadster, the colour really suits it.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  17. zombiecat

zombiecat

I'm really glad that you ended up with the Roadster, Jared. I'm sure Dad is too. I had to make a decision to either sell the Roadster or sell everything else. For me it was a simple decision but not an easy one. I just couldn't see letting everything in the shop go, so I decided that it would be best that I kept the stuff and let the Roadster go. It sure made it a lot easier for me knowing you would be the one buying it.
    Sorry that you ran out of gas. I meant to check it but in the process of looking for a clean dry stick to check it with I got side tracked by some honey-do's.

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - if you drive it like you should likely will run out of gas again

twenty8tudor likes this.
  19. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow, nice car, cool story, and cool old guy who built it.. My sympathies to you, Zombiecat. Your Dad seemed like a cool guy.

zombiecat and twenty8tudor like this.
  20. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

That is a sweet roadster

twenty8tudor likes this.
  21. swifty

swifty

Great story and a great roadster. I don't see a 28 Tudor listed on your profile so I assume that it didn't get the R-R treatment.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  22. zombiecat

zombiecat

A short video of Jared driving the Roadster away.

kidcampbell71, Tim and twenty8tudor like this.
  23. Congratulations on buying the roadster,knowing that your friend was the owner and you are now the caretaker and plan on keeping it. HRP

twenty8tudor likes this.
  24. Wonderful tale and it sounds like you'll take well to the caretaker role. You did a good thing!

twenty8tudor likes this.
  25. It's clean, I like it.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In light of that being a best case scenario on moving ahead...that must have been a heart moving experience for you as so much of this is. You have kept a great number of things to keep the dream alive and I see moving forward to be full of good vibes and memories. Good for you Zombie. One day in the near future you and Jarod will cruise together. That will be cool.

Congratulations to Jarod on a once in a lifetime opportunity...Turn key fun done right...You are very fortunate.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  27. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thanks everyone!! I feel honored to own it.. Only things I'm going to change on it is things that wear out :)

Another part I can add to this story which changed the way I think about things happened after returning from the bonneville trip..

I had planned on taking him and his roadster along with me to bonneville.. When he passed that was no longer an option. But I was able to buy a small bit of his ashes on a key chain..

I made sure to put that on my roadster pickup key for the trip..

Trailered the truck out there and drove out on the salt took some pictures and went back to the gas station to get gas and drinks...

Walking across the parking lot I dug in my pocket for the keys.. Took them out and the little capsule of ashes was gone!! Just the little threaded part was left.. And the other piece was not there..

Started freaking out when I looked through the truck and couldn't find it..

Somehow it fell off and had rolled clear up to the middle under the carpet I had stapled down to the floor.. I had to pull the staples up to get it out.. Still not sure how it managed to get all the way up there.. Put it back on the ring and it hasn't came off since..

But after coming back I was at work and a password I use for a thing at work had expired.. The entire 6-7 years I have been there when ever they reset it it's always the companies name and one number..

I called in to reset the password.. And the lady on the phone said "I set it to Happy333"

Hit me like a ton of bricks.. In the drawing of the 3 window he did way back from around his basic training days he had drew a front plate on it with 333 on it..

Three was his favorite number. And his birthday was the 3rd

I used to never really believe in that type of thing.. But I have no other explanation for it.. Not even a week after taking his ashes on that trip out of no where they change my password to that..

So I took it as he was happy to go along on the trip.

I can't thank you enough for working with me on it!

You made the right decision, cause like you said before he did the roadster to sell.. He wanted to keep it but that went out the window when he was on the track of that 3 window..

I remember him calling me asking if I had the red truck sold so I could buy that 28-9 roadster off him.. I think that was the only time he called me.. Lol

I never seen him that revved up and excited about a car! He sure was excited to get it! So I'm sure he is glad that is the one you kept..

28. congrats on roadster, I'm sure he is glad someone he knew has is now... And since you knew him , he's riding along with you in spirit every time your behind the wheel..

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    twenty8tudor likes this.
  29. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome car! More photos please! Is this a steel car? And what drivetrain is in it (besides the flattie obviously)...

twenty8tudor likes this.
  30. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Brookville body with an original ford firewall V8 banjo rear. Three speed column shift with a merc overdrive. 56 ford truck steering box. Is what I know off hand