Register now to get rid of these ads!

toyota hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by p-nor, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p-nor

p-nor

i was going to add this to the japanese motor thread but saw it was closed. i know you guys didn't really dig the 22r and nissan 1200 talk, and i know these motors are still japanese and not traditional but i thought those who haven't seen one might like to. they came out of toyota centuries, i think that's a limo. 3.4 liters, with hemi heads. i think the look is pretty cool.
    [​IMG]

feel free to slam me or lock the thread but these motors just don't get seen much in the u.s.

paul

2. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

push rod or cammer?

3. borndead327

borndead327

4. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

aaaawwww,wookit.an iiitttty biiitttty motor.

still does not look like a Hemi. No more than a chevy with those goofy Hemi Valve covers.

I don't hate it, its just not a "Hemi".just like the new "Hemi" ain't a Hemi,either.

luckily for me, no one cares what an olds or pontiac motor looks like.
    they are ugly, but hey ,POWER HAS A PRICE.function over form everytime.

5. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

So why did you post it?
    Did you not read the sign on the door?... Traditional rods and customs.

6. what years did they make those? did they come in anything else? I'd like to find one...

7. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

whoa whoa whoa who said anything about olds or pontiac motors being ugly?

8. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

well, atleast its not in the original vehicle any longer... might been the only thing he had to put in it..looks alright to me..just hope he's savin up fer a rocket or y block:D >>>>>..breeder:)

9. borndead327

borndead327

i put one of those motors in a customers fj80 landcruiser it ran its balls off. now its being used as a rock crawler in colorado.

10. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I guess its traditional somewhere:eek:

11. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

[​IMG]

12. p-nor

p-nor

i posted it because i thougth some folks here might be interested in seeing it. it's interesting. it may not look exactly like a real hemi but it does look different. it's unique. it's more "on topic" than a lot of stuff i see on here.

i didn't post it to start a fight. it was just an attempt to show a motor that i don't think a lot of people have seen before, that's all.

paul

13. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

You japanese guys should check out a proper forum to discuss this kinda stuff... like this http://members.aol.com/corrollin/mboard.html

I know people may be into japanese stuff (they happen to build some neat custom cycles over there-- which is something i kinda like) for whatever reason, but this forum is for TRADITIONAL hot rods and kustoms topics-- read the rules. At minimum, i'd name the title of the thread O/T (off topic)....

By the way, I protest the japanese stuff so much because I actually like to live in a bubble... :)

14. rocknrods

rocknrods
    BANNED

That car and my car were on the cover of the Goodguys gazette for the Texas Motor speedway show a couple years ago. It really does look nice.
    He has a home Made intake.

15. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I'd like to get my hands on a toyota nascar v8. chevy bell pattern and it looks like nothing anyone's ever seen. "its just an old 350":)

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Look at this Race Car/Hot Rod...

A Curtiss Jenny Airplane Engine mated to a Mitchell Chassis.

Both American Parts... But one of the guys that built it was Soichiro Honda.

Of cource, a lot of the stuff he built later wasn't nearly as Trad...

17. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

18. Did you see the car it is in?
    Would you walk past that and not look?
    Don't be so negative.

19. Bugman

Bugman

207 CID(3.4L) was 170 HP, 231 CID(3.8L) was 200 HP. All aluminum construction, only weighed 250 LBS. Extreamly stout factory bottom end is good for about 9,000 RPM. Manufactured between '70 and '82. Physically, it's about the same size as the early Dodge Hemis. The spark plug spacing looks kinda like an Ardun Flathead. Would be a great motor for a Modified, or lakes car.

20. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I have to agree. We have discussed them before. Probably is a little O/T but still interesting.

21. Is that a Bay Area vehicle? I think I may have seen it on Richmond Pkwy heading towards I-80 several years ago. I thought to myself "What a funky looking little hemi -- seems to fit that small T pretty well."

22. MeanMike

MeanMike

Here's the deal. It's an exact copy of the Dodge Super Red Ram hemi Toyota built when Chrysler's rights to the design ran out. They were made from 1970 to 1982 for limos in a limited Asian market. They were gonna try to sell them to us here in taxi's when Checker went out of business. It was just a case of the Japs ripping off American designs agian. If I sound cranky, it's only cause I only like my hot rods Mopar!:D

23. RustyCoupe215

RustyCoupe215
    from Owings, MD

Definately O/T. I saw one in a Rod N Custom mag a few years back, in a Model A. Intresteing and sad.... Bad enough NASCAR let Toyota into the truck series, sadder imports creeping into Traditional Kulture. Didnt think I'd see it on the HAMB. Whats next? Lets just get our olds/flatties and Ponchos to run on 'shine or methanol....j/k

24. purple

purple

If any of you remember, my ride is a Japanese car done as traditional as I can. Do you realize, a domestic to you is an import in another country. There are Japanese HAMBers here. Part of being traditional is using what you can to make your car go. And, it's not a billet covered SBC, so stop complaining!

25. the-rodster

the-rodster

Discussion of French redesigned flathead - OK
    Discussion of Japanese redesigned hemi - NOT OK ?

WTF?

26. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Hehehehehe..... Point well taken :p

27. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

28. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Here's a couple shots of the same car that I took at a local show. Sitting in a T bucket, that motor looks as traditional as it gets. I had to ask the owner what it was. It looked at first glance to be an early Dodge Red Ram. If the Jap motors had been avaliable in the '50's, they would have been used, without hesitation.

pigpen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

I see the HAMB standing more for ingenuity and creativity instead of wanting to thump you over the head for not having a "perfect" car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.