Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my 1948 Hudson Coupe build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by morecowbell, Jun 9, 2016.

1. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

hey all,

I finally took the plunge and drug home another wallet-eating, frustration-inducing yard art project. In the last few years I have tried my hand at revamping (I'm not a "Builder") old derelicts and mostly came out on the losing side be it time lost or financial considerations. But like every good Red blooded American I don't know when to quit. So with that said I have started a blog to more fully detail the trials and tribulations of getting my new to me 1948 Hudson Commodore Coupe on the road. I'll probably post most of the stuff there but I'll try and keep this on topic. Appreciate any tips and comments as I go along. This is NOT a restoration although I plan on keeping it as stock as finances, time and my abilities will allow.

Thanks for letting me be a part.

- jason

Attached Files:

kiwijeff, slv63 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

I should have learned after 4 failed car projects to just leave well enough alone. But I didn't. And so the saga unfolds anew.

I joke that where others have a soft spot for stray animals, I lug home all sorts of vintage yard art probably best left to serve out their sentences and head to the great car crusher in the sky. My grand-vision far, far exceeds my novice mechanical aptitude. My wallet isn't particularly fat. And I continuously doubt my decisions. However I can be doggedly-persistent, and more than a bit naive, so I've got that going for me, which is nice. Generally I recognize my limits, most of the time I speed right by them and run head first into a wall - wrench in one hand, pride in another and sanity no where in sight. The rationale is simple: if someone else can do it so can I. That's all well and good until I inevitably realize that Many are more talented or have more experience or quite frankly, are smart enough to not undertake a project so large.

I had been hunting for a hot rod after selling off a 1964 Galaxie and a few motorcycles last summer. The intention then, of course, was to take some time away from cars and bikes and just "enjoy being project-free". Clearly that didn't work out and I was jonesing for my fix of agitation, stress, and pissing money away. A "hobby" if you will. I'm blessed with 2 beautiful children and a woman (hereforth known as the "Better Half") who has tolerated my antics - from an upside down rusted and ripped Dodge PilotHouse cab setting on the newly sodded grass to multiple C10 carcasses in the driveway while I performed a frame transplant - so I have to watch out for a project that will be too much for minimal time. (Note: As I write these words I realize today is probably a good day to get the Better Half some roses.)

So the hunt was on. I'd seen a few candidates - a chopped Chevy and a few chopped 47,48 Fords. All great cars with pros and cons to each. And then one Saturday morning I was on CraigsList - coffee in hand while keeping the 2 kids from mauling each other. A typical Saturday. I scrolled down through my CL filter: under $8000, between 1900 and 1954, manual transmission. And then I saw it. A 1948 Hudson. And not just any Hudson (as if any is JUST a Hudson) but a COUPE! Factory chopped-looking roof line, good paperwork, standard transmission, already slung low. I immediately sent the link to a buddy who demanded I go purchase it right then. So I called the owner and set a date to make the 90 minute drive and see it in person.

Made the trip up the following Saturday, leaving my house around 8 am. Plans were to be back at home by 11 to hang out with my Dad and then spend time doing some yard work and hanging with the kiddos. The trip up was uneventful other than getting a bit detoured and wondering why there are 75 cent tolls every 7 miles on Rt 95 in NH. I missed the mailbox with the right address so had to turnaround and backtrack. Making my way up the dirt driveway I expected the Hudson to be in full plumage, to bask in her glow as her patina showed through her original prom dress. I was about to be enthralled.

And then I wasn't. There she sat under a broken and mangled car-tent-shelter-thing. Couple flat tires. An assortment of Peanuts-inspired Christmas trees propping up and through the tent at various angles to keep Mother Nature at arm's length. It wasn't easy to get a real good view of anything other than the passenger side. But that was enough. I'd made my decision before I spoke much with the owner, but any sense of apprehension was pretty well eradicated after talking with Bruce for almost 2 more hours.

To say he loves this car isn't doing justice. Bruce gave me all the backstory - how and from whom he got it, the barn it was in for years, his grand plans, what he'd done in the past. He smiled as he told the stories and ideas and in doing so it became very clear that his selling was not so much a choice as it was a mandate. As someone who has bought and sold many cars and bikes over the years - many of which held hundreds of hours of labor or more importantly, numerous trips around town with the kids - I respect the passion he has for the car and felt the weight of the decision he had to make. I let him know of a way that he could store it for a while if he was able to do so. Circumstances being what they are he had to make the difficult decision to let it go. I finally headed back with a lot of decisions to be made. Notably how to convince the Better Half that another 4k pound relic "needed" to come home. I planned on calling Bruce later on that weekend to advise of my decision.

I was late getting home, but still had time to play whiffleball with my Dad and son, and for ice cream with both my kiddos later on. I haven't played catch of any sort with my Father in close to 20 years. Checking out the car was great but being a boy with his Dad again was priceless. To have 3 generations of my family tossing a ball and watching my father pitch to my son. Beyond words.

The pics of the car here are from www.vintagehudson.com. These were the pics I was given in an email to look over. They are the work of the gentleman who pulled the car out of a barn after 50+ years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

more on the Blog

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Had a 53 2 door. Buick 455 W/th400, chopped, nosed, decked, shaved and hood corners rounded with a 53 Pontiac grill. Just a really great looking custom. Naturally the question I would always get is what years your Merc?
    Ended up getting personal license plates, "8NOMERC".
    Early Hudsons, I feel, were better looking cars than the Mercs of the same era.

4. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Looks pretty complete.Does it have the original engine and is it runnable? Those old Hudsons are such pretty cars!

5. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Sweet Ride I'm a Hudson fan myself although I have never owned one. Joe

6. Toni Stieger

Toni Stieger

I bought in Arizona will come in Switzerland in August. needs a little work[​IMG]

7. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I know this car well, It's from my area. I also grew up around Hudsons and have a few still in the garage. I'd join the New England Chapter of the Hudson Club. Good people, that will be more than wiling to help ya out

kiwijeff and 302GMC like this.
  8. M HPIM1832 (2).JPG I know your feelings Morecowbell.I was told my 56 buick station wagon ran , drove and stopped This is her when I 1st got her. She had a knock in the motor, trans fluid gushing all over the place and no brakes. Bruce.

9. This is here 3 years later and a empty wallet .I wish you more luck with your Hudson.Bruce. 002.JPG

10. DRV13

DRV13

Ill definitely be following this. Your introduction was spot on with my life minus the children. I also just picked up a project hudson coupe however mine is of the 1950 vintage, good luck with it and keep us updated what is the blog you have for the car 1480178797868.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

hey DRV13 - saw that on the Hudson forum and on eBay. Nice score!! You paid MUCH less than I did lol so you are well ahead of the game from me!!!!!

I tried to keep mine somewhat pure but in the end I decided - actually my wallet decided for me - that I simply cannot afford a full engine rebuild and I am completely impatient. So for now the stock 8 cylinder engine is out and a 71 chevy 6 cylinder with an 88 T5 transmission has ben set in place.

I won't lie - it hurt to cut out part of the firewall and some of the transmission hump. Given that my interior was completely gone and I redid it all myself using basic materials I had around the house, originality went out the window. So with a deep breath I cut into the firewall to slide the new engine and trans into place.

As of now the costs of the swap are:
    - running engine was $250
    - the T5 was another $275 plus $100 shipping
    - I had already bought the adapter plate for $150 from a previous project
    - new clutch disk for $30 off ebay
    - T5 spline adapter from Speedway for $54
    - need to source some 2 piece driveshafts

Eventually I'll add some speed/vintage bits to beauty up the engine but for now I just want it to run. By my idiot calculations I should be able to run around 60+ mph at about 2700 rpms with the 5 speed.

As I have stated before I appreciate the purists perspective - it's just not my bag. I dont have the time, patience or money for that. I'm still trying to find a balance between making my changes with keeping the car as unaltered as possible so that someone may go back to stock if desired. Or at least close to it.
    Good luck with the project! you can follow mine here and at jasonmrenda.com

- jason

12. DRV13

DRV13

I'll be working on the mechanicals this winter and hopefully have it moving under its own power next springish. completely new wiring as well being that those little 4 legged critters got mine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Latigo

Latigo

Good looking Hudson. Also like tour writing style. Looking forward to more posts on the progress.

14. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

We raced Hudsons on short dirt tracks in the midwest and pretty much had things going our way, even for a few years after the OHV V8's appeared. First car was a 32 Essex Coupe and last one was a 37 Terraplane Coupe. Pulled trailer with a 48 that had the 308 Twin HP engine in it. Also was one of the fastest pull rigs. Fond memories.

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. So I'm not the only one who picked a hudson this year too lol good find both of you 1481601038400.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. That's a great start and project.
    I'm partial to twenties and thirties Hudson's, and own a Hot Rod that uses a 29 cut down cab.
    I also have a project 28 Hudson Super Six, that's completely original.
    Use the interweb for info, there's lots out there, and many people willing to help.
    As you probably already know, Hudson's have a history steeped in racing.