Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hello from Gaithersburg, Maryland

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Lepus, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Lepus

Lepus

Hello –

I live in Gaithersburg, MD. I have been a machinist making scientific equipment for the last 18 years; before that I worked in job shops making parts for anything from guitars to medical devices to printing presses. My car is a ’36 Dodge coupe. I found it on Craiglist; it was stored under a tarp only 13 miles from my house. I rebuilt the Stromberg WW that came on the engine, and it seems to run nicely, though it will be a while before I’m able to drive it. I also made the beehive oil filter housing.

I’m keeping the 218 engine (’51 Plymouth) and am planning to mildly soup it up: shave the head; use the Edmunds Custom Dual Carb manifold that was in the trunk when I bought the car (I will need advice on what carbs to use with it); add dual exhaust; and add Pertronix ignition when I get tired of fiddling with points. I will lower the suspension a few inches (no chopping though, as I’m 6’6”); mount the license plates in frames in the center of the bumpers; change the horn housings into running and turn signal lights; and do some de-trimming.

I will keep the interior art deco style: new dash with a large round '36 Plymouth gage cluster in the middle and ‘49 Buick speaker grille trim (have one, looking for a seco nd) with custom grilles on each side with a clock in the right one and tach in the left. I will try to make art deco/bomber seats and use art deco pattern cloth for upholstery and door panels, etc.
    car1.JPG car2.JPG filter.JPG

lothiandon1940 and volvobrynk like this.
  2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi & welcome. WOW. That is going to be a real nice ride that you will enjoy.
    Post more photo's on a build thread on the HAMB general discussions as your work progresses.
    Jimmie

3. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Welcome from Hagerstown, Md

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Clik

Clik

I used to do a lot of contract work in the Gaithersburg area. There are a few HAMBsters that live there.

5. Welcome from So. Md. Excellent introduction and looks to be a cool project. Keep us in the loop as you make progress........Don.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hello and welcome to an elite group of weirdos, that all contain the all the knowledge you ever needs to know about the area Hot rodding!

I made a mistake and subscribed to this thread, but if you link to the build thread of you wonderful MOPAR hot rod rod project, that would make look like I'm planning ahead.
    And I bet a FNGs most care a lot how the others members fell.....

lol and welcome again

7. Hello and welcome to the hamb enjoy your ride.

8. Lepus

Lepus

Thanks guys, I've been a lurker for years. I finally got around to joining when the TRJ subscription/HAMB membership offer came up, right when it was time for me to renew my subscription. I look forward to actually participating in things instead of just reading.