Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So in moves Don Brown, Leroy Neumyer, and Jim Bob Lubbert and if those guys even came close to living up to their reputations for partying
    Leroy could party for sure. He was supposed to drive a tank at Bonneville but was late getting back from Wells partying all night and missed his ride. The driver got into the 200 MPH Club and Leroy had to wait a few more years..

loudbang and Offy 220 like this.
  2. Offy 220

Offy 220

Jim, you are correct about Buzz's friendship with Leroy. Buzz called him up when we were looking for an Offy valve stem filing block. Leroy was planning a trip to So Cal and he brought it by our house and let us use it and also he let us keep it for awhile so we could have my brother in law draw a blueprint from it. Buzz had some great connections and friendships in the racing fraternity.

loudbang likes this.
  3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Sorry guys; Yes, I know it's O.T., but : Congratulations to KYLE LARSON for his Twofer on Turkey night! (Winning two yrs but not in a row!) Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    BZNEIL and Offy 220 like this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

5. deucemac

deucemac

Kyle won this year and in 2012. Tanner Thorson won it last year and won the champion this year by finishing 6th in the feature. Kyle came very close last year, but no cigar.

Offy 220 likes this.
  6. sideways27

sideways27

Gorden Johncock #85 and Buzz Gregory in the #11 car at New Bremen 1964.jpg Gorden Johncock #85 Fetter Alum Spl and Buzz Gregory #11 Harold Beck Offy at New Bremen in 1964. Thanks Rootie.

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Mike Nazaruk in the Frankie Cal 52 at Reading 1954 11-28-a.JPG 11-28-b.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Looks like Ernie mcCoy hard on the brakes. ?Troy Ruttman in the 98????

Offy 220 and loudbang like this.
  9. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

In 1954 the 98 was owned by Unverdorben's with Mike Magill as the driver

loudbang and 29AVEE8 like this.
  10. hurstman428

hurstman428

Lil car still looks good ! ted

loudbang likes this.
  11. Skai High

Skai High

I found this 1955 Offyette quarter midget about a year and a half ago in Vandalia IL. I would love to know more history about who owned and raced it. Doug Schiller said this is one of the first 6 or 12 ever produced. It has the original Continental engine, original clutch, original tires and appears to be original paint. These pics are from the day I brought it home. I had to replace the hood hinge, make gaskets for the carburetor and clean the points. It is running really well now. I will add images of how it looks put together.

Attached Files:

loudbang and Dean Lowe like this.
  12. You're just a little fella! ;) Man that's cool!!

loudbang and Skai High like this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Way cool Cactus1!

loudbang likes this.
  14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Love reading all the posts about Buzz, and the old White Front as well. Thanks, folks.

Speedwrench and Offy 220 like this.
  15. Offy 220

Offy 220

BigJohn,
    I wish Buzz was still around! I was with Buzz back at the Speedway back in '89 and he had long conversations with Joe Scalzo and if you read his books - Indy Roadsters 1952-1964 and The American Dirt Track Racer much of what he said about the White Front and other inside info came from Buzz. I remember going with Buzz to visit Bobby Grimm and Mrs. Grimm and alot of the talk involved brawling and carrying on. Both of them were in the IMCA - which Buzz considered himself as a rebel. He also had some Ed Elison stories and back here in California I would go as support for Buzz at AA meetings. He was definitely a character and I wish I had recorded some of things he would say.

loudbang, Speedwrench and deucemac like this.
  16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I wish I had a dollar for every time I walked away from a bull session wishing I had been holding a tape recorder. Some of those with guys like Sonny Ates; Larry Dickson; and Dick Trickle come to mind.

18. Stopped by my friend's shop today and Bruce has a few more cars in for the winter to work on. The Indy racer blew up the engine this summer so he is putting another target engine in it
    100_5931.JPG
    Then this showed up from PA. One of 32 made. Has to be busted apart and finished. It is running a gear box instead of the usual in/out unit.
    100_5930.JPG
    Some of you may remember this flat back racer. It was actually a NOS body with a Riley four port engine. It is in NC at Ray Evernham's shop getting restored for his museum
    100_5306.JPG
    He has another Curtis unit setting in the wings waiting to be built from another racer buddy of his. Couldn't get a pic of it till later on.

19. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

ThaPa sprinter has a hilligas look. Rear nerf bar is standard Hilligas.

20. jhbowman47

jhbowman47
    from Aromas, CA

Is the Joshua Shaw car #2L from Midford, Ohio entered in 2017 Chili Bowl the same Joshua Shaw who started this thread?

21. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

Yep, that's Josh.

loudbang likes this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Just musing to myself today. As this thread approaches 7 MEELION views is there another HAMB thread as popular with as many hits? This one is the most frequented of all my saved threads.

23. loudbang

loudbang

Drag cars in motion just about to turn 14 million.

24. hurstman428

hurstman428

It's a favorite of mine !

loudbang likes this.
  25. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Merry Christmas from Tom McGriff at mac miller's garage! HOLIDAY SPRINT 16.JPG

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Merry Christmas Tom

lookin' good

27. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Doug Schiller is the only guy to contact when you find an Offyette since he has been building them with his father since the late 50's
    His knowledge of this type of racing and who built what chassis is unbelievable and he is a first class guy to deal with.
    Jim Hill

28. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have a very good friend Ted Kitzman and he and Dick Trickle traveled together and raced together and for a period of time Dick Trickle lived with Ted and his wife.
    He has many stories about all the years they raced together.
    Ted and I get together for lunch from time to time and I love to hear the old stories from the good old day's.

Jim Hill

29. .....Have a great Christmas Tom....lets hope 2017 will be good to us all...