Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Mid Barbour's 1935 Phaeton

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Mid Barbour's 1935 Phaeton

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stogy, HEMI32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Curt Six

Curt Six

That car is gorgeous.

3. Squablow

Squablow

I wonder if she was involved in the build as well? I hope so, that would make the story even better. A real pioneer, either way.

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

The Al Drake book tells a story of PNW Hot Rods & Kustoms. Was refreshing to be able to visualize what it must have been like when Al hung out at the Tic-Tok Drive-In and making the scene.
    In one of his books he speaks of Gookmobiles
    = over decorated cars that think they're Kustoms.....
    I've had that book for years....

5. Rikster

Rikster

Very interesting car... I have started an article about it for the Custom Car Chronicle some time ago.. but have not finished it due to lack of other photo material. The grille is actually made of two 1942 Ford grilles stacked together and flipped 90 degrees. Love this car. I believe the car is still around.... but restored back to factory stock specs in the 1980's

Jive-Bomber likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that car reminds me of a car I saw at Billetproof a couple years ago, but all worn out. I don't remember what grille or headlights it had, but it was customized and had a "Carson" top.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is a picture of Mid, standing on the running board of Wayne Mahaffey's Cad Powered '35, with Eddie Duhon's '39 along side. I think Harry Eyerly did a lot of work on Mid's car, along with her Crosley powered speedboats that she raced. 2012-09-27 191624.jpg

8. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

@Marty Strode Here's a current picture of Wayne Mahaffey's Phaeton at The World of Speed Museum in Wilsonville Oregon. First stop when I go the the museum.....love this car.[​IMG]

HEMI32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Wayne is a great guy, and that is quite a car ! A friend of mine (Lee Hirn) bought it in the early 60's and drove it as daily transportation. They do need to correct that sign, it should read 346 cubic inches.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just.....WOW!

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is a couple of shots of Wayne's car at the Scappoose Drags in the early 50's. 2012-09-27 191422.jpg 2012-09-27 191647.jpg

12. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

WOW-- This is awesome stuff- Both are great cars!

13. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Wow those are great looking Phaeton's!
    That's a terrific book and a great read. Bought it many years ago when it was first released. One amusing story I recall was Albert relating to a chopped Coupe (34 5/w?) that he said he was able to watch the build progress because the owner zoomed past Albert's residence regularly as he apparently lived down the road from him. He said it had to be his only means of transportation as one day (early in the chopped top transition) the guy drove by sans roof. It was raining, and he had the family with him...

I seem to recall Albert contributed stories from the early days regularly to a magazine. May have been Rod Action?

14. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Not mistaken, he posted to Street Rodder in the early eighties.

15. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Al Drake had a monthly column in Rod Action. I have that book too. It has a story about how he made a hot rod out of an old roadster body he found and it was a Jordan.

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Here is a shot of Al Drake's roadster, he is quite the historian, and a friend. 2012-09-23 123518.jpg

17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^^^^
    Great shot !!! This must have been the meet where the announcer asked if "The little red roadster" wanted to run, but Al's dad said no tires, no run ...
    I was very fortunate to meet Al at the 51st PRS ... talked to him for 3 minutes, and it was as if we'd known each other for years. Definitely one of the gentlemen in our sport.

18. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

I LOVE this car. Would love to see more pic's of Waynes car back in the 50's if you have more @Marty Strode

Every time I pass by the Salem Speed Shop I imagine Wayne with his Phaeton stopping by to get some hop up goodies. I feel super fortunate as Glenn Volz showed me around his shop earlier this year. 1480031231465.png

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Surfcityrocker likes this.