Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Vintage Speed Logos & Decals: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Vintage Speed Logos & Decals: Part 2

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. banjorear

banjorear

Thanks for posting, boss!

I love these old logos and decals. I have a decent collection of decals. I'll snap some picts. over the weekend and add it to this thread.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours - have always loved decals/stickers - even before I had a car would buy from local speed shop, etc and put them on most anything that I had.

mad mikey and tfeverfred like this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I want them ALL! But what I'd really like to have is.... "Glendale Speed Shop". It's personal.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very cool!

6. Love the waterslides.:D

mad mikey likes this.
  7. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

My 5th grade teacher had a rubber stamp of this except for the Cal Automotive script. He used it for grading on homework that was less than acceptable. It wasn't much of an incentive to do better though as all of the boys in the class thought it was super cool.[​IMG]

And this one always makes me think of Speed Racer.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  8. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Horsepower Engineering

This was the only logo I could find. HPE.jpg

Happy Turkey Day to everyone!

296ardun likes this.
  9. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool. The first time I saw a hotrod up close, on the street, it was a '55 Ford, around 1960, and it sported a Mr. Horsepower decal on the lower front fender. The two things were juxtaposed in my mind for years afterwards, hotrods and Mr. Horsepower. I would draw him at school all the time. Funny how a simple little thing like that cartoon figure can mean so much to a fella.

Thanks Boss for all you have done and continue to do to make this site so cool!

[​IMG]

10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

A number of these companies made major logo changes as ad agencies specializing in the hot rod industries started handling their accounts. A lot of these logos can be atttributed to Medley as he would knock out an ad for HRM when the company decided to buy space. Impressive collection.......appreciate the post.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yep... at one point I interviewed Medley about that... I'll have to see if I can find that article.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. tinsled

tinsled

Hope this is not OT, but I spotted a Auburn spark plug logo in Ryan's blog.
    Some years ago I was fortunate to buy a survivor 1951 Nash from Phoenix, AZ.
    Along with the car, there were lots of stuff the previous long time owner had kept in a chest in the trunk.
    2-3 these Auburn triple electrode plugs... among other stuff.

[​IMG]

13. sololobo

sololobo

I am a sticker freak, this is tremendous. Thanx for sharing el capitan

14. catdad49

catdad49

Great Stuff Ryan. Most of the old model car builders will recognize these and the Hurst motor mount one brings back some memories. An older kid named Pete was given a cute little Datsun (this thing was pretty nice) and he decided that an Olds V-8 would look good in it. Needless to say, it never made it to full functionality (he did get it running, no exhaust, flames out the ports), I'm sure his Mom was proud! Happy Thanksgiving to All

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These old decals were (and still are) on the rear window of my '36 3W coupe when it was pulled out of the shed it was stored in since the early-60's..................
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

clunker likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great topic, lots of nice letterheads and envelopes out there to collect. Bob DSCF5736.JPG

17. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

Very cool. My first experience with water transfers, was from model building. Made me a decal lover for life.

18. Back in the day, my cars had all the decals ........
    When the cars were sold, I always took pics of the decals, close up, as a remembrance of the car.
    The pics are still with me .......... somewhere. :confused:

19. I still have a couple of decals from the first car dealership I worked at in 1970.
    "Performance Powered By Rathburn Chevrolet Northville Michigan"

Had those on the quarter windows of my 54 Bel Air back then, the one with a Chrysler 383 engine.........

20. Ebert

Ebert

My Dad created this on our kitchen table for our track..... muncie dragway.jpg

LOU WELLS and denis4x4 like this.
  21. I need to check my stuff! But it looks like you have it covered. Thanks Big Guy.

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I love the Steen helmets skunk!

23. I have most of these decals and a quite a few not shown since the bug bit me several years ago(probably thanks to the first post!). I have spent way too much money on these damn things over the past decade but I just love em, even the smell(weird?). Awesome designs and artistry involved. One of my favs is my 1949/1950 So-Cal Speed Shop decal.

I don't much care for stickers except for certain special exceptions(metal-flake Ansen anyone?) and stickers made to look like the old decals make me puke, can't help it. For me its like comparing Henry steel to a glass car...soul vs. none.

Jonneville likes this.
  24. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Nothing like vintage speed decals, thamks for posting Ryan.

25. longhorizon

longhorizon

Way cool. For sure the most complete collection I've seen. Some of the old travel decals and (of course) surf related decals are also quite nice. The risque genre includes some hot-rod and many travel decals. I'm sure most of you know this but you can buy decal paper now and make your own water-slide decals off digital images (potential copyright infringement, depending on image). If done right they look quite good, especially if applied on inside surface of windows.

26. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Decals bring back wonderful memories from the good old day's and I have a few thousand of them in my collection along with with car magazines from the 50's, 60's and on up.

Jimbo

27. thunderplex

thunderplex

Here are a few early decals

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. Fordors

Fordors

Water slides. The Delta Machine decal always struck me as very creative, and perfect for a blower drive manufacturer.
    Image.jpg

29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

There is an old story that the seeds to start SEMA was prompted by a Revell marketing guy looking for an association that would be a clearing house for speed equipment trademarks used in the model kits. The Revell guy was Henry Blankfort. I suspect that there may be some truth to this story.