Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Why is this car NOT a good choice?.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justadream, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squirrel

squirrel

Oh, it drives pretty good, it would be better with radials, of course. Funny story... on Drag Weekend, running through the mining hills between Phoenix and Tucson, my friend was following me in his caddy powered, lowered, IFS equipped 59 ford pickup. He couldn't keep up with me in the twisties.

hotroddon likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not sure why people are steadfast in the belief that vehicles with solid axles handle poorly.

I used to routinely open up and drift my offroad rig, on pavement, when people in sports cars were tailgating me.

3. This reminds me of a particular time in High School when I was riding with my buddy in a good running 56 Pontiac hardtop on a really twisty road. Another classmate of ours was driving in front of us with a 61-62 Comet 6 banger. We got a little too close and the guy in the Comet took off. We couldn't keep up with that little comet in the corners'till we hit a straight away...

4. Why is it your putting so much of your self worth on what others think you should do ? It's your car, do what YOU want to do. When your done you'll know why you should or shouldn't have done it and be the wiser for it.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Don't gotta be high...I have the 10% engine set back and a dropped beam axle; sits at just about stock height..And it does twisties quite well..Build to what you are going to be happy with, lot of fellows on here have Falcons and would gladly show you some builds..I do like Gimpys route, pic not his car..

Attached Files:

dwollam and afaulk like this.
  6. Any vehicle no matter what the suspension will drive like crap if the geometry is wrong, if the spring rate is wrong, if the builder got it wrong.

So someone here's or first hand experiences a very true story of how a bad a wrong setup drives and therefore it's that flavor of suspension that's wrong.

We can use the same logic and prove that pencils are responsible for misspelled words.

volvobrynk and Atwater Mike like this.
  7. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Your car do with it as you please. I don't think you would have much luck selling or trading it when that time comes but who knows.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Straight axle cars can handle well especially on smooth roads. It's jacked up cars that tend to skid or fall over when cornering hard.

Not many straight axle cars are properly set up for cornering especially home made ones but it is possible. Kurtis and Cunningham made some very successful race cars with straight front axles.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I spun my off-road rig when I got hit in the right rear tire, at 65, on the freeway, and recovered it. No flip.

14" of lift, solid axles, soft springs, 36" Super Swamper TSL bias plies.

Built it at home.

10. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

If you were closer I'd buy it from you and build it myself. It's only a bad idea if you don't like it.

Devin

11. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I posted on your other thread about this. The 61 Ford Econoline was a unibody w/a straight front axle and leaf springs. Vehicles are about the same size, might be worth checking out for a front axle. A buddy had a couple Rangers in his yard and I kept bugging him to find a coupe body to put on one. Local "hot rod expert" said it would never work. About the same time someone here asked the same question. After a half dozen "it'll never work", a guy posted pictures of his 39 Ford coupe on a Ranger frame. Guy nailed the stance on that car. About the time someone says it won't work, someone goes ahead and does it. I like the idea. Your car, build it like you want then thumb your nose at the nay-sayers.

justadream and Jeff Norwell like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Indy cars were mostly all straight axle cars, until the 60s.

The early Comet is an interesting car....originally it was to be an Edsel, you know? I think the 60 models were not even labeled as Mercury.

[​IMG]

Spoggie and justadream like this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You know what? If every one who ever decided to build a car, based it on other folks opinions or views, we'd be a piss poor group of losers. If that car is in your mind and heart...... build it. Show us YOUR vision. The only rule is PASSION. Opinions and views from people outside your box shouldn't matter.

Oh....... Happy Thanksgiving.

14. What happened to the O.P. ?

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

He's probably trading the Comet for another 'Vette.

16. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

I want to thank everyone for the post and responses, good or bad. Let me tell you what, im GOING to build this car the way I envision it for myself AND for the ones that dont believe. I have never done a full project like this or as big as this BUT what I have done in past is built a 67 VW bug with suiside doors, shaved door handles, 3in wider fiberglass rear fenders on the rear, 2in wider on the front with matching running boards and a 1974cc, 125hp motor that I built and I could mop my friends ass in his 66 mustang with a 289. So I will start another thread for the build of this car as so far for right now I already have the front and rear seats out, front fenders and hood off and the trans almost ready to be pulled, so I will post a link to my pics as I go along so you can follow if you would like. Im in NO rush to get this done, plus we just bought a new house so for now funds are limited, but I do have a garage to work in now which is something I have NEVER had to work on anything I have built. Oh, one more thing. To whoever sees alot of bodywork in this car better put your glasses on or get your eyes checked because the rust that you are seeing in the pics is just surface rust. The car really doesnt have any rot on it except for about 1 to 2 in strip on the rear wheel wells and a couple spots on the floors. I will also take some more pics so you can see what im talking about, or maybe you wont, who knows, lol.

wicarnut, slack and tfeverfred like this.
  17. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Thats the one, I even found a few Edsel parts on it that say Edsel and the doors say Merc.

18. :D

19. Build it - it's no different than an early Nova up front.....you have a nice flowing body style you don't really see that often....build it and other's will say wow.....a 351 W would be a good motor....

20. squirrel

squirrel

slightly different than an early Chevy II up front...you can unbolt the Chevy front end, the Ford is all welded together.

21. Mudgy

Mudgy

Yes, Do it. The nay sayers can go and get........ And their opinions mean sweet FA. You have encapsulated the narrow minded, clique opinions of most here mate.

Hence why I'm done here. The hypocrisy is breath taking. I'll keep doing what I'M doing, without this site. And that's all it is, just a website.

afaulk likes this.
  22. Justadream - Now it seems that you're ''into it''. Ya gotta want to do it. For your own reasons.

23. dan31

dan31

Haha,Mudgy ,your post is the definition of hyprocritical thinking but i bet you will never see it. Now please make good on your promise and delete your account today cause if you don't ,well,that would just be hypocritical ,right?

chevy57dude likes this.
  24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great! Go with it, man. I look forward to a build thread and pics.

25. RmK57

RmK57

I'd keep the stock front end in it if it were me. Mini tub it for a 275 tire. Trim the shock towers for a 408-427 Windsor, c-4 trans, car would be a hit at the old time drags just because of its uniqueness.

26. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I don't know why so many guys on here want other people's opinions of what to build. Ask if there is a certain reason this would not be a good car to build. Answered(frame needs to be built or beefed). I for one hate the straight axle front end look. Never liked it in the 60's or now. I just think it's unsafe. Having said that, it's your car, build it how you want to, and don't give a shit what other people think. They didn't pay for it, you did.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Its threads like this that make the new improved HAMB what it is....;)

doyoulikesleds likes this.
  28. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

To much drama fellas, how bout get in the shop and build it. This thread has run its course.

Jeff Norwell, Chucky and slack like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.