Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1960 Comet

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by justadream, Jun 28, 2016.

1. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Hi everyone, I havent been on here for a couple years but im back now and would like all your opinions, good bad ugly, on this Comet I picked up. I traded thks guy a nice 75 Corvette roller with perfect frame and birdcage, t tops, NO MOTOR, TRANS, INTERIOR AT ALL including dash or gauges, center consol, exrta front fenders hoods and boxes of parts inside the car. Anyways, here are some pics I took yesterday when I got it here, it even has original keys for doors, trunk and ign and all work really smooth, thought that was pretty cool. Its going to need floors but rockers are ALL their, perfect doors, front fenders, a little rot on the lower rear quarters, NO rot in the trunk, even unibody is solid with just some scale. Now my plan for this car is to build a gasser out of it but what I DIDNT know, is that it was a unibody. I know this can be done but I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction on what, how, where to cut the unibody or what to weld to it. Does anybody ha e some good pics in a build? Any help would greatly be appreciated. I wont be able to start this project to soon as we are looking for a new house right and dont want to start it then have to move it in pieces. My girlfriend is the one that got approved and she wants me to have a nice heated 2 car garage for my projects, how sweet is she for thinking of me like that, haha. But hwn I get started, I will post up some pics, till then, thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. Yep that's a comet all right.

Those don't make good gassers, I would look for an SBF and make a mild custom out of it. Just being honest. If you throw a 260 in it and just bump the front suspension up with spacers you could actually run D or G gas under the rules of the day. Simple is good.

Moondog13 likes this.
  3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Falcon - Gasser
    Comet - Cruizer
    Like porknbeaner said- small block, auto, drive the hell out of it

4. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

Its just going to be a strictly street run car, not a track car. I was maybe just looking for the "Look" of the old gassers but dont know of a way to do so to get the straight axle in. It has a 289 in it now but needs to be rebuilt.

5. Straight axlis easy enough, cut it just under the firewall and splice your new frame horns to the floor and the unibody structure. An econoline axle ought to be close to correct. Build yourself a couple of supports from the firewall to the frame horns and you are almost there.

look for gasser front stub kits for a box Nova to give yourself some ideas. Or you could keep it simple like it would have been done in the early '60s.

justadream likes this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

DSCN1393.JPG DSCN2062.JPG DSCN1990.JPG DSCN1991.JPG pics are just to help give ideas. do a search here for 1960 Comet - including "Wally Park's Hot Rod Comet"

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    justadream likes this.
  7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I had one of those once. I even kept part of it.

comet1.jpg
    truckdrags.jpg

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Did you know the Falcon, Mustang, and Comet were all built on the same platform? That means many Falcon and Mustang parts will fit.

I would be fixing the 289 or looking for a good 302. If you can find an HO 302 and 5 speed out of a later Mustang it will fit.

For now why not fix it up and get it on the road. The gasser look can come later. Have some fun and drive it around.

You don't need a straight axle for the gasser look. Just raise the front a few inches and put big n littles on, it will look great.

justadream likes this.
  9. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Have you seen this pic of a chopped '60 Comet gasser?

10085820_2010112420034.jpg

dwollam, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

I have and thats what gave me the idea to make the trade for the Vetts. Thanks for the post.

11. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

I didnt know mustang parts or falcon would fit. What later years mustang are we talking about?

12. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

To at least get the front end up in the air, would the stock front suspension work with a spring/body lift, like the 2in spacer or a little larger that they use for coil spring lifts on 4X4's?

13. Can't do a body lift on a unibody. Put spacers on top of the springs ( or under) like they use in Nascar. be careful a little spacer goes a long ways. A one inch spacer is usually worth a couple of inches of lift.

I make my own. A tire tread works real well.

14. Caprice89

Caprice89

Early Mustangs (65-68) share many components. Body parts, suspension, etc. The steering wheel of my 65 Mustang has Falcon under the Mustang logo.

justadream likes this.
  15. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Falcon debuted in 1960 followed by Comet in 1961. The Comet was a face lifted Falcon with many Falcon parts like engine, trans, suspension, etc.

In 1964 they brought out the Mustang. It too was based on the Falcon but with a different body. It shared many parts with the Falcon like engine, trans, suspension, and even the dash board. If you take the padded dash off an early Mustang you find underneath, a Falcon dash with 2 steel brackets spot welded on. The Mustang gauge cluster will fit the Falcon because they share the same dash. The Mustang has more gauges but the panel fits into the same hole.

I'm no Ford expert but I think they used the same platform up to 1967 (Mustang) and 1969 (Falcon). Some parts continued to be used in Mavericks to the late 70s.

They designed a new V8 for the Falcon in 1962. It came out as a 221 cu in, was quickly enlarged to 260 then 289. The 289 went on for years then was made into a 302. All the same family of engines. So a 302 out of a late model Mustang or pickup truck will fit your car.

I only want you to be aware of the possibilities, for specific parts swaps you will need to ask a Ford expert. But, now you know why it is so easy to get parts for your car at any auto parts store, the same parts were used on millions of other cars up into the 70s. I am talking about things like brakes, suspension, and engine parts not so much body parts and trim parts that are specific to your car.

Caprice89 likes this.
  16. justadream

justadream
    from Vermont

No, I understand on top or under the spring, thats how they are on the jeep cherokee sports and I put a 2in in that, so you do know what im talking about and it can be done which is good, thats what I needed to know so I will just trial and error till I get it to what I want, thanks for the answer on that one.

17. 117harv

117harv

18. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Harv,that bitch is BADASS!

19. 117harv

117harv

I had to enlarge the pics, that's why they're grainy.

20. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I was thinking."Sick!".

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wanted to leave that for you.

tfeverfred likes this.
  24. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I have no idea if something like this would work, just throwing it out there. The 61 Ford Econoline was a unibody and had a straight front axle w/front leaf springs. They were roughly the same size, maybe something like that would work. One reason I remember them was the kingpin front end. The kingpins were always harder to remove than T750 dump truck. Always got a good workout on those.

25. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

This sounds like a pretty damn good reason why you can and how to do iy

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app