Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods who on the HAMB does "chrome painting"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

I've got a bunch of pieces of brackets and tubing pieces that would be well suited for the "chrome painting" process. I'd like to find some one in the Indiana area who does this. Any clues? Bill

2. Bill, these guys are Alliance Vendors and offer a member discount,I haven't used them but maybe someone here has and can offer their opinion.

All my plating on the wagon was done by Advanced Plating. HRP

Jermo and Blue One like this.
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Real chrome, drop the word "painting ". :D

4. Huh? my bad, I thought Bill was looking for chrome plating don't know anyone that does the chrome painting. HRP

5. jamesf

jamesf
    from hammond in

Don't be so cheap Bill, go with the real thing.

tfeverfred and Blue One like this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The words chrome and painting do not belong together.
    There is chrome which is done by electroplating.
    Chrome is really shiny and smooth and reflective like a mirror.
    And then there is painting which is not :D

tfeverfred and da34guy like this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

state that you will be have tubing & brackets done - sounds like stuff that will have to be bolted to something else - remember, this process is only paint and can be easily damaged like any paint.

8. You might be surprised at the quality of the Spray On Chrome process these days. While I would never do this to a vehicle, the finish is amazing
    Spray on.jpg
    All this Harley "Chrome" was done with spray on as well
    Spray on 2.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. That 'chrome paint' photographs better than it looks... and it's not durable. Go look at Jivin' Jer's coupe thread (posts 2328 and 2334); he tried it on some interior parts, and it didn't survive the installation process.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  10. I used advanced plating as well and was really happy with their repairs as well as the plating job. After seeing their work I could never cut that corner again! I've never tried the paint but can't imagine it would be something you would be proud of after a short while.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I could swear his question was asking who does it and not what everyone's opinions are on chrome paint. Maybe I read it wrong?

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You may not have read it wrong, but it is our duty to help our friends when we can. :)

13. 32viper

32viper

I've used "chromeplaterjosh" (hamber). His family does the chroming. Custom Metal Finishing in Hagerstown, IN. Not cheap, not fast, but damn good.

14. Some of these new chrome process paints aren't even a distant relative of the ole rattle can chrome paint and are relatively impressive. If you read his post, the way it's worded, it looks like he's seen the difference.

I might get it if he was painting an axle and expected it to look and wear like real chrome, but he isn't. What he is asking about sounds like pieces that "could" be OK for this. There ARE advantages with some of these new processes out there.

I'm not a fan of hydrographics, because my daughter can air brush, but if a guy wants his interior pieces to look like woodgrain and doesn't want to spend the kids college savings, it has it's place. Doesn't look as good as real wood, or a quality paint effect, but it costs a fraction of the cost, looks decent and fits people's needs.

Same with this. No, it doesn't look like real chrome, but also doesn't cost remotely near the price either. We all have different goals and budgets.

If you were really helping, you would answer his questions instead of telling him how you would build his car. I agree on safety issues butting in, but this is hardly a safety issue.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I really don't know where this came from, this must belong to a friend of mine.:rolleyes:
    20161122_122327.jpg

Bandit Billy likes this.
  16. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Thanks for the support prewarcars4me. Let me restate my case. In all the cars I've owned, been involved with and built, each one had individual needs. When it came to rechrome or pieces that would only look right chromed----it was chromed. Thats simply the way it is. --------I've got 2 (or more) restoration pedal car/tractors projects to do. The brackets and some trim pieces were ALWAYS painted silver, not chromed. I'd like to find a hydro chrome (If thats the name) out fit to have them chrome paint a few of these pieces, if it looks right, then I'm on to something. If it doesn't work, OK, I'll just paint it like it was originally. A few years ago at the big winter car show in Indy, there was a shop there that was showing off their "painted on chrome". The stuff they did was pretty nice. It was the first time I'd ever heard of the process, much less seen it. Since then most HAMB guys have seen it and know it's limitations, so do I. So I'll go back to my original question. Does any one know of a place in (or near) Indiana that does this type of painting? Thanks, Bill

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

While not in Indiana, you might try "Alternative Chrome Plating" in Wichita, Kansas. Phone number is 316-680-1209. I've seen some stuff from them and it looks good.

R-

Tim likes this.
  18. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Swap meet at the Indy fair grounds this Sunday. The outfit that does chrome painting and powder coating is usually the first booth to the right of the entry door.

19. rooman

rooman

For the guys that are posting chrome plater's contact details please read Bill's original post and his later response.:eek:

Roo

20. And Bill, although I dont know of any places that paint near you, if you can't find any, check with places like Eastwood, or even paint supply sites, because they sell a "kit" to do it. Yes, I realize thats not your question, but rather maybe a plan B.

21. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Not a HAMB guy, but I've used a guy in PA, called "Coat of Chrome". He does the silver nitrate deposition type fake chrome. It looks pretty good, but it's finished with regular automotive urethane clear, so it's not as durable as chrome. You need to send him the parts in epoxy primer, 1000 grit finish, with "bodywork" done as if you were painting it black, i.e. perfectly straight.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You can't fake "cool".

23. A couple of years ago I was in line to get my car in the GNRS. There was a group of hard core Lo Riders next to us, and listening to their conversations was hilarious "No esé they aren't going to search your trunk, this ain't no east LA Show" "Hey man, you can't take that tequila in the show", but then one mentioned a Soda Blasting place that used to be owned by a freind, so I decided to chat with them about that. The conversation turned to chrome, as you know these dude's had more of it than anyone. Anyway, one of the guys pointed out the chrome on the front of his 64 Caddy and as I was commenting on how good it was, he told me it was spray on! I can tell you for a fact this was as good as any "Real" chrome job, and it was three years old at that point. Like everything in life, there is good quality and there is crap - and the preparation is also just as important. But I'm here to tell you that this was phenomenal! Somewhere I have his card, but it was in So Cal so it won't help the OP much.

Max Gearhead and prewarcars4me like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The place in Kansas does good work, it's what they do and has nothing in common with rattle can chrome. Give them a try

prewarcars4me likes this.