Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1961 Plymouth 361 engine and push button tranny value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CaddyRat, Nov 19, 2016.

1. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

Got a "running when pulled" 361 engine and tranny combo and was curious if the value. Wondering if I should do a quickie rebuild or use one of them "modern engines". I've read both good and bad reviews on it and have no idea if I should keep it and use it in my new 1951 Desoto wagon or flip it because it has the Super Commando air filter and push button tranny that's often sought after. I've used the search function here repeatedly so please don't remind me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Someone might want it if they are restoring a 61 Plymouth but probably not. The 361 was the smallest of the B engines except for the short lived 350. They went 361 383 413 426 440. The demand is for the bigger, newer versions.

I think it would make a good engine for your DeSoto, since you have it and it is free.
    It has the advantage of a handbrake on the trans like your DeSoto which means you can use your original rear axle.

361 was the base engine in DeSotos the last few years they were made. So you could paint it up, put DeSoto stickers on the valve covers and pass it off as stock for laughs.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Squablow and CaddyRat like this.
  3. I would like to see a picture of your Desoto station wagon.Thanks Bruce

CaddyRat likes this.
  4. You'll find that the 361 has nearly as much power as a 383 and will accept the same intake and exhaust manifold, etc. Put that in the Desoto and have a blast. A friend had a 383 in his '63 Plymouth (former Ks. Hwy Patrol cruiser) and his dad had a '64 Fury with a 361. Both flew like rockets, especially when we switched out the '63s highway rear gears for something more streetable.

loudbang and CaddyRat like this.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The 361 was an excellent engine for its day but by today's standards it is a big block with the displacement and hp of a small block. It weighs about 70 pounds more than a Dodge 360. Not a big deal in a heavy car like a 51 DeSoto. As I said, the engine and trans should work great in your car. They were under stressed, very durable and long lived. You could go through them and replace rings, gaskets, bearings, timing chain etc in the engine and seals and possibly clutch plates in the trans, and be good for another 50 years of driving.

6. 73RR

73RR

...did you also get the shift cable assembly? Kinda important.
    The biggest drawback to the 361 is rebuild parts. Everything is the same for a 383 but you will not find decent pistons unless you go to forgings.....yeah I know, 'running when parked'........
    If you are thinking of something different for the '51 take a hard look at a stroked 318Poly.

CaddyRat likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

I'd fire it up on a test stand and if it sounds healthy, put it in that '51. Value will be very little. I have a 361 in my '62 Chrysler, they sound nice and have power but they're not really valuable. Honestly, the air cleaner is worth as much as the whole rest of it is as far as resale. But it's a good one to use in your project.

CaddyRat and 73RR like this.
  8. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

Attached Files:

9. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

What about the tranny? Also just scrap value?

10. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

I have the assembly...but....the dude just clipped the cable/wiring going to the box.

11. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

12. Squablow

Squablow

I had an extra one of those trans once and a friend of mine needed it and I think I sold/traded it to him for $75. The engine you might get a couple hundred for if you find someone who wants one but you might have to wait a while to find a buyer.

Not at all a bad engine/transmission to put in your car, just not a lot of resale value.

13. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

14. loudbang

loudbang

These 361's were class winners back in the day. they were used in stock class and with the right body combo they did very well in class racing. you might find somebody very interested over on Class Racer.

http://classracer.com/classforum/index.php

15. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

16. George

George

'61 was the last year of the old style converter/crank flange & bell pattern. engine/tranny would be of a little value to a restorer of 58-61 BB cars, but I imagine most hot rodders would prefer to swap out the whole power train to post '61.

CaddyRat likes this.
  17. 73RR

73RR

You might find the complete assembly but keep in mind that your dollars will be competing with folks who are actually putting a '61 back together.... call my friend Ed at 503-661-7786, http://wildcatmopars.com/
    If you want to use a post-62 trans (62-63-64 still has button shift)(65 is one-year-only cable) then you will need a post-62 B engine crank.

loudbang likes this.