Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Friendly advice

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Brown, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg Just a quick post to offer some friendly advice.

The HAMB is chock full of amateurs, hobbiests and professionals that are more than willing to pass on info if needed. Guys like Mac VanPelt, Uncle Max, Charles Yapp, Fred ( Southside Obsolete) and the myriad of others that make themselves available to aide and answer the many technical questions that can arise while building or maintaining you rod. I realize these guys are in the hobby to earn a living, but remember, they could just as easily sell you whatever you ask for with no concerns to whether it may be correct for your application or not. I have found these guys are more than just business men out to make a buck, nearly every single one of these guys go well beyond their role as parts suppliers. I have found them to all be personable in demeanor and more than willing to help you "get it right". I have also realized these guys are hobbiests as well and were surely hobbiests before finding a way to make a buck or two as well.

With the wealth of info out there by guys like Vern Tardel, Mike Bishop and others be aware that most these suppliers also have self help booklets. Prime example; Mac VanPelt has some excellent self help books. I have a pretty good background in mechanics but felt a little unsure about disassembling my 37 tranny and replacing all the bearings. I picked up Macs book on early Ford transmissions and found it invaluable, making the tear down and reassembly a snap.

I guess where I'm going with this is, these guys are great sources of info and suppliers of sometimes, hard to find parts. Use them and get to know them, it will make your search for materials much easier and help you keep your sanity.

I've just finished building a flathead 8 and tranny for my Tudor, both of which I had no past experience in and though a tad pricey was very enjoyable. I leaned heavily on some of these guys and all, without exception, went above and beyond in helping me "get it right".

If your building a car, especially pre 55, you are making your job alot tougher if you are not utilizing these guys. Need a set of flathead rod bearings, or tech advise on installing and adjusting adjustable lifters in an engine that had no such thing in the first place, these are the guys that can help. I, for one, am happy to have built a long distance line of communication that has helped me emminsely.

Now, all I need to do is retire and start my engine, tranny swap.....thanks all.

LOU WELLS, burl, ydopen and 12 others like this.
  2. mike bowling

mike bowling

You can never have too much GOOD information.
    Listen up, you young Turks!

loudbang likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, most everything is when you do it right
    how many years before doing this?

loudbang likes this.
  4. HiHelix

HiHelix

THIS IS WHAT THE SITE IS ALL ABOUT... JUST awesome!

loudbang likes this.

5. flatford39

flatford39

Agreed...especially VanPelt. He will keep you out of trouble but don't expect him or any of the others to come to your garage and set you straight. They do the best they can over the telephone or on line.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Sporty45

Sporty45

This place is like having a bunch of inside connections at your fingertips :cool: Nice job on the flatty, and love the stand too!

loudbang likes this.
  7. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1 year Dec 2017

stillrunners likes this.
  8. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yeah...thats what I meant by "long distance line of communication". If you have an issue, they can usually work you through it.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Books....did he say books ?......bought a lot of them...like those mentioned.....I don't know it all.....but try to grasp what I can from those that went before and did the all hard work....I like pictures too ! Good post....thanks !

loudbang likes this.