Register now to get rid of these ads!

The last Grasp Special '34 3 window build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by whodaky, Mar 23, 2012.

1. lowlids

lowlids
    from australia

Geoff excellent work, I like the one with Rita's spinner a lot and the one with the Spades hot rods and the new one with the channelled hot rods. Good designs mate keep them coming as they always bring a smile to my face .

2. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Tony how did I know you'd like those.
    I guess they are all interesting in their own different ways. I am glad that they are still of interest.
    Here's a new one. When I was going through old magazines last night I wasn't sure that The Australian Hot Rodding Review covers would have the same feel as the others I have been using. But having done this one I think I like it and may use a few more. We'll see!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

fuzzybear and 509garyd like this.
  3. Hey guys. I picked up a few magazines at the bendigo swap among other things.[​IMG]

Drewfus and 509garyd like this.
  4. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Nice score FB.
    Here's a new cover. I have been wanting to use this image for a while.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  5. Wardog

Wardog

I'm still enjoying these covers Geoff. Tommy, it was nice to catch up at the swap meet.

tommyflathead likes this.
  6. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Just finished another cover.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and 509garyd like this.
  7. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

About a week and a half ago I had the 3W inspected by Peter Koning to license it into my name. It passed inspection and I sent the paperwork to the Victorian RTA. I received the new license plates this morning. So I will fit the new plates later.
    Here is a new cover I did a bit earlier!.
    Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  8. Wardog

Wardog

Well done on getting the 3w registered.

9. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks Wardog. It is always sense of relief I guess. I can take a break from working on it. I have some house renovations I want to commence soon.
    But I do have the 3W up to a stage I am very happy with for the time being!

Geoff aka whodaky

10. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

Geoff, I enjoy regularly checking out this thread, although I rarely comment or post. Keep the covers coming.

Fuzzy Bear, 2 of those Custom Rodder magazine covers that you got at Bendigo caught my eye.
    A couple of pieces of trivia about them. Firstly no. 10 showing Ian Murcott's A Tudor, I have the dash out of it in my Tudor.
    This is how it looked back then. Under that vinyl was a cut up '32 dash
    [​IMG]

This is what it was like when I got it. A Model A dash rail had been tacked to the top of the deuce dash and then
    covered
    [​IMG]

partial resurrection
    [​IMG]

And getting a few lines prior to fitting
    [​IMG]

Next the top left one with Ron Flood's A roadster. That roadster was a big influence on my brothers' car (which actually got me involved) that was built in the mid '70's and appeared on the cover of Street Rodder in '79
    [​IMG]
    Which in turn, both influenced Al Barton's red A roadster that was built in WA in the '80's. All 3 now reside in one form or another in WA

Keep up the good work and congrats on rego

11. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Nice stuff Yblock.
    I really liked the story and resurrection of the dash.
    Thanks re the rego, it's always a relief to have the plates on the hot rod and that paperwork in hand.
    I am still having problems with photobucket, as is everyone else that uses it. So I am not sure when images will start coming from me again.

Geoff aka whodaky
    PS Finally got photobucket to work. I reposted the image above. The cover with Wizzies Merc and the Johns Rod and Custom cool FJ!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  12. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Yblock's comments on the Custom Rodder cover featuring Ron Flood's model A roadster were both interesting and inspirational to me. Because I had been considering using that particular cover for one of my phantom covers.
    So here it . It's probably not as good as some of my others, but I do like the feel it has.

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    509garyd and yblock32 like this.
  13. Hey Whodaky
    That cover should make ol doctor hot rod smile hey!!!!!!

yblock32 likes this.
  14. yblock32

yblock32
    from Australia
    1. Cranksters

always smiling.....

LH drive now too

And the Flood roadster chopped & dumped

15. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

ah ha. I knew you guys would be lurking in the shadows.
    Yeah Yblock I mirrored an image I found on the internet to get it to work for that cover. I also gave it the external rearview mirror delete option.
    Yeah doesn't Ron Flood's roadster looks even cooler than it ever did.
    Maybe not my best effort yet, technically. As the tudor almost looks like it's floating. But as I said above, I really like it because it has a neat feel.
    Earlier yesterday I got around to mounting the framed posters I showed a few weeks ago, up onto the ceiling of the ol hot rod garage!

Geoff aka whodaky

PS I just had a quick play with that cover above and got it to feel a little less like the rear of the tudor was floating. Still not my best work though.

[​IMG]

509garyd likes this.
  16. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I like it when I am inspired to create. I guess ' the other Ron Flood roadster' really did need to be on another cover, by itself and not to be overshadowed by Yblock's sedan.
    I find this cover I did interesting because it is quite plain. But not all magazine covers had that gotcha factor. So I sought of like this one because it doesn't have that. If that all makes sense.
    I also think I may have chopped the screen just a bit to much!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

yblock32 and 509garyd like this.
  17. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

whodaky, I will ask this on the forum so its hard for you to say no , may I get one of my computer literate friends to pinch a couple of your images to make me some garage art very nice work on your part tub

18. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

tub1. you are more than welcome.
    Thankyou for the compliment. As I said I consider some to be better than others. But I do like them all because I enjoy the creativity and the challenge of adapting to a program that is not necessarily designed for what I am using it for.
    And trust me I am no computer whizz kid!

Geoff aka whodaky

19. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Here's a new cover I just did. I know there's a bunch of channeled hot rod fans in our midst.
    I really like this one!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

20. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Damn it's quiet in here.
    Here's a new cover to try and instil some enthusiasm in here. Yeah right!

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    Luke W and 509garyd like this.
  21. Hey guys, Geoff that channeled car cover is cool and Ron Flood's roadster looks even better with your changes. I've just had a chance to catch up after a crazy week. Last weekend me and my uncle drove up to Echuca and stayed with my Mum and Dad, we went to the Bendigo swap on the Saturday and got a few bits and pieces (I got a new cowl in great condition for the chev for $50, the magazines I posted earlier, some tools, and other bits and pieces). After working Monday to Wednesday, I flew up to Coff's Harbour to be hosted by Volkswagen for the WRC rally. It was a great couple of days being choppered around and treated like a millionaire, but exhausting so I spent most of this past weekend resting.

tommyflathead likes this.
  22. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Hey FB.
    Tony and I always say to each other, that FB will go far. If it had of been me or Tony, they would of just tossed us the keys to a beat up old kombi in Melbourne and said see you there. Goodness knows where we could have ended up. At least we know you well enough to know you would have waved to us as you flashed past in the chopper.
    Anyhow onto a less serious note. Thanks for the compliments on the covers. I knew you would like the Australian Hot Rodding review with the 2 channeled coupes on it.

Geoff aka whodaky

23. Ha ha thanks mate. Keep it up.

24. tommyflathead

tommyflathead

whodack
    isn't that just testimony to the most travelled hammered hiboy coupe in Australia!
    this is a great front cover, you would have foreshore inspired some young boy along the Nullarbor Hwy to one day own a hot rod

25. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks Tom. Yeah maybe along the way that ol 5W and myself may have had some influence on someone. I just hope it was for the positive. Interestingly the 5W in the petrol station isn't my coupe, but one I found on the HAMB and postioned it in the drive of that petrol station in outback Western Australia. It does make for a neat shot though!

Geoff aka whodaky

26. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

I wonder if Tony ever heard about this 3W from back in the day?

Geoff aka whodaky

[​IMG]

fuzzybear likes this.
  27. brandos55

brandos55
    from Australia

IMG_0644.JPG Hey Whokady,
    talk about inspiration,ever since being in yours and Tony's 32s at Port Fairy all I could do is work as hard and as quick on my 5 window,Well here it is.
    Thanks for the inspiration guys
    B

yblock32, 509garyd, Luke W and 2 others like this.
  28. flatoz

flatoz

Hi Geoff,

cool covers, you do a great job, keep them coming! You have an eye for these things.

cheers Corey

29. Wardog

Wardog

You got this heading spot on. Dave has an encyclopaedic memory for hot rods.

30. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Geoff the 5W looks fantastic. I can't wait to eventually see it in the flesh. You have been busy.
    Thanks Corey I really am enjoying messing with the covers. The one I did with you dad's bucket is still amongst my favorites.
    Wardog, Tony has told me a bit about Dave and I have picked up stuff that Gary has said in his posts. So I new what caption I could use. Actually, Tony told me a bit more about him the other day, something I could have added to the caption. But I won't worry about it because, ' it's to hard '.

Geoff aka whodaky