Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage Bonneville Salt Flats Memorabilia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Mar 21, 2014.

1. These thread are great until Dean shows up..................................then they get GREAT! thanks Dean!

2. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

I`ve just sent out some of my duplicates to a couple of guys that sent me some Magazines I wanted. My only Trophy is from `91, but I have programs, posters and decals that go back into the `50`s. And don`t worry Mac, I`ve got you covered on some stuff...that is providing you are done with your huge parts deals.....

3. firingorder1

firingorder1

Tonight was the annual Road Runners awards banquet. Held at the Mission Inn in Riverside. I brought along a couple of DVD of long time Bonneville starter Bob Higby. This is whre I need Dean. Mel Weber (remember him Dean?) came along. He brought a DVD of some old 8mm home movies he had done El Mirage and 1/2 mile drags at Riverside. Sure enough at the 1/2 mile drags there was Dean and his truck. Very cool. On my videos is a glimpse of his record breaking Honda. A very enjoyable night with a lot of verbal memorabilia.

4. Bill, I sure do remember Mel Weber. Mel partnered with my partner, Rollie Gravel, on a '32 three window coupe. I think the coupe was probably an ex jalopy racer at one time. It was so ugly they named it "Skuzzy"! I think they ran Mel's Y block Ford in it first, then Rollie's 301 SBC that we later ran in my RPU. I sure would love to see those old films! The SCTA's 1/2 mile drags at Riverside were some really good times.

5. Somehow I wound up with an extra inspection decal from our '69 speed week trip.

[​IMG]

Pufff likes this.
  6. firingorder1

firingorder1

Dean, funny you should mention an ugly three window. It showed up on his DVD and I thought it was a jalopy racer when I saw it. The close up showed a small block. You really need to come to the next Road Runner dinner.

7. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

That jacket!!!! :eek::eek::eek: WOW... Very cool.

8. 34cpe5w

34cpe5w
    1. 34 Fords

Trophy on the right is a Bob Pierson for 1949.

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  9. This program is from my first time on the salt.

[​IMG]

Pufff likes this.
  10. And my second speed week.

[​IMG]

Pufff likes this.
  11. firingorder1

firingorder1

This is Buddy's trophy from 1974. One cool trophy. I love the "salt" and the black line. Now long gone but may be back for this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not exactly vintage but I'm working on it. If I live another 50 years they will be.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Pufff likes this.
  12. I like the '74 trophy Bill. The streamliner is the same casting on my Dad's trophies. They've been using it forever. Might not be old, but your collection is pretty cool. I know how much work that represents. ;)

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Super cool trophies! That '74 trophy is neat...

Thanks for sharing all this cool stuff you guys, I love it.

Muttley, I need some decals!

firingorder1 likes this.
  14. I like this one because it has two of my favorite Bonneville cars on it. The Markley Brother's tank and Knott Farrington's "Hel's Angel" T bird.

[​IMG]

Pufff likes this.
  15. That 74 trophy is cool. Thanks for sharing Bill.

16. realsteel1934

realsteel1934
    from usa

I love this post and have lots of stuff to post just need to get my kid to upload photos.

Few years back I bought several colections of very early bonneville trophys,inspection stickers ,programs ,& posters. My stuff runns from post WWII & up to mid 70s

I will see if I can get some photos up this coming weekend

Kevin

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Dean, I'll bring this thread back to life for a moment. Because of this thread I was contacted by a gal who is doing research for the Smithsonian channel for a history of Bonneville show. Having mentioned Mel Weber and his films she asked if they would be available for her to use as part of the show. I got her in touch with Mel and he agreed to let her use them. A DVD copy has been sent to her. Don't know when it will be shown but keep an eye on the Smithsonian channel.

18. Cool info!

19. Thanks Bill. I'll keep an eye out for it.

20. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Super cool!

Back up to the top to see what else might be out there.

21. TBONE1964

TBONE1964

Yes, keep this thread alive. Bonneville is on my list to visit. Very cool stuff. I love the history.

Take care,
    Tom

22. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Hey Mac--Seems to me that I was supposed to send you something from my collection, yes? I must be getting fuzzy. I had completely forgotten what we had organised. Send me a note and refresh me, would ya? It`s no fun failing to fire...

23. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

[​IMG]

Here is the Trophy Clyde Sanford gave me for display , they got 1st place with a Belly Tank in 1950 , Sanford Brother's & Phy .Cool Stuff

Pufff and stillrunners like this.
  24. That is very cool Steve!

25. lowbuckbucket

lowbuckbucket
    from tempe az

I owned one of buddy's trophies for two years and campaigned it with a blown flathead then had to sell it to the current owner

Attached Files:

Pufff likes this.
  26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got 2 of these as I set 2 records in 1976. XV/Alterd Coupe and XV/ Fuel Coupe. Prize possessions.

stillrunners likes this.
  27. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

I have a 1953 Bonneville trophy also ...
    Won by Al Jerauld & George Barber's ~ Belly Tank "Baby Bomb"
    O Class Lakester , 111.640 mph
    8 Flathead Ford , 88.7ci , Unblown , Fuel Injected ,OFFY Heads , Weber Cam
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stillrunners likes this.
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

29. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Out at Speedweek standing at the starting line while DT was ready to take off and for some random reason this thread popped into my head... I'll be adding some pics of new things I've found, but I'm curious what else has turned up? Anyone got anything else to share? This old Bonneville stuff is some seriously cool history.