Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model T Tip == Don't be a Jerk

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Nov 20, 2016.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you ever run across a Model T and have to remove the front wheels, the right side has LEFT HAND THREADS on the nut AND outer bearing race. Got a pair of wheels that someone beat on until the left hand threads just couldn't turn any more, guess that is when they torched the axle. Kroil, a punch & BFH turning the race the proper way and the wheel & spindle were free. DSCF5680.JPG DSCF5683.JPG Bob

Felipe Toltecatl and kiwijeff like this.
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Are all the "T" spindles that way?

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, 1909-27 right side is left hand thread, I don't know of another car that has threads in the outer wheel bearing. Bob

4. I was under the impression that Dodge did the same thing. HRP

chessterd5 likes this.

5. blackanblue

blackanblue

Brother in law has a 64 fury same deal, reversed thread on the wheel studs don't know why they did it that way.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

That makes perfect since, DB made the early spindles for Ford. Having the DB mark is a nice feature on an early T Restoration. Bob DSCF5691.JPG

7. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Muscle car era Mopar, military Deuce and a half, and 70's Rolls Royce have left hand threads on the left hand side of the vehicle. So, if it turns a bit then stops, try turning it the other way for a while.

The37Kid likes this.
  8. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I was told it was to keep the spindle nut from vibrating loose. Since the tire turning forward is the loosening motion on the nut. With the one left hand thread side both wheels are turning toward the tightening of the nut. Yes I know that dodge pickups had left hand wheel studs for lug nuts as well.

belair likes this.
  9. noboD

noboD

37, you can blame the Brothers for that. Little revenge for getting screwed by Henry.

stillrunners and The37Kid like this.
  10. You're close, chesster. But it's the outer bearing's threaded race that Henry and the boys were worried about, not the nut. The nut is cotter keyed, so it can't turn. Inside the nut is a keyed washer, so it can't turn either. These are tightened against the threaded race for the outer wheel bearing, so it doesn't really want to turn either. But in case it did get loose from the friction of the washer holding it, the forward motion of the car tends to keep the outer bearings on both sides wanting to turn outside toward the washer and nut, not to the inside which would put things in a bind (as it would on the right side if it had right-hand threads).

BTW, I guess Henry decided that threaded race was an unnecessary expense, because they did away with it when Model T production ended. Model A's thru 48's use wheel bearings the same size, but with no threads.

Never2low and The37Kid like this.
  11. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thanks for the info. That makes perfect sense

Late to the Party likes this.
  12. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you LTP I didnt know that.

Late to the Party likes this.
  13. dwollam

dwollam

And do ya know what happens when someone unknowingly puts the left spindle on the right side and the right spindle on the left? Or replaces one only with the wrong side? The bearing ends up tightening itself and burning up the bearing and locking up the wheel! Happened to a friend of mine on a T he had bought and was driving on a mountain pass in a fairly remote area. Made for a very long day.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Same deal if you try to tow a T with a wrecker with the front end on the ground. Bob :oops: