Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Send money to USA (account to account)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AULIZ, Nov 16, 2016.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Is it normal that people in USA are not give me Banking info that I can pay parts from bank to bank?
    I understand they did like that 80s,....long time ago but still 2016?
    Is it normal in USA that accounts are empty? or why they think that I can go to their account without any passwords and security codes?

Many haven´t paypal account and they still think that if they give me rounting nr, bank name and account owners name + address --> I go to their account and empty it !!!

Some ask to send money order or check. We had here checks and money orders 25-35y ago and now a days all pays invoices from own home Computer. I have done like that 24years.

For example I sell hot rod parts to Sweden or Austria. I send invoice By email and customer found from invoice my banking info and they transfer money direct to my hot rod shop account.

Aulis
    Finland

nb. By the way: some very old hot rodders are give me their banking info and they also have paid some money to my account. They trust, but midlle-age or younger do not trust even their neighbour.

2. HiHelix

HiHelix

Pay pal is the way to go......I accept paypal and cash in person only.... If someone cannot accommodate that I do not need their parts or their $....

flatford39 likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I buy all the time from US and import to Australia. Many years go I did postal orders and telegraphic transfers (TTs) when there were no other options available, however these took time for funds to clear plus there were additional fees. PayPal is instantaneous and not snail (surface) mail. My 2cents worth, Europe may be different as everything is close by. Down here things are different since we are so far away from the rest of the civilized world.

4. verde742

verde742

I just want "Bank to Bank" transfer or personal check, Most people are "good People!!!"

I don't give all my info, and I contact bank prior to trans-action, and tell them to let "anybody load my account"

No Issues, so far.:) ( I just hope John Beresford Tipton Jr. get my account number.:rolleyes: )

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

With the scam epidemic of mountainous proportions, people are more than a little skiddish about passing out that kind of info. No way in hell I would, those Nigerian princes aren't all on the up & up.:eek:

prewarcars4me and czuch like this.
  6. I wonder if the people who won't provide an account number have any concerns about writing a check... that lists the account number and routing info. Or for that matter after dinner and drinks handing their credit card to a complete stranger who then carries it off somewhere to do who knows what with it. That said with all the fraud going on these days you have to expect people to be skittish, especially with foreign transactions. The USA is a big place, it's not often that buying overseas is your only option. Plus many people here haven't even got passports and view foreign countries as scary places where there be dragons and such. (I'm kidding. Sort of)

Some people are trusting, some aren't. I've gotten burned on PayPal (Buyer protection? What a joke. Those bastards even kept their fee from the transaction/theft) and had my credit card info stolen numerous times. With a card it's a hassle but I've never lost money. I'm still a pretty trusting guy though and would transfer money if the situation was right.

7. I recently talked with my bank about this and someone can send money into my account but in no way can they take money from my account. I'm good with that.

8. For big purchases that don't accept PP or a debit/ credit card I like a wire transfer. Call the seller, get his information and wire the funds. Neat, clean and safe.

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I agree with timwhit, I hate Pay Pal they also screw the seller with there fees.

slack likes this.
  10. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

X2

11. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I just sold a part to a guy in Sweden, and was suprised to see paypal charged a 4% fee to handle it. But I then remembered that paypal and eBay are now separate entities, and while their rates associated with eBay deals are not as high, the 4% wasn't too bad.

12. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

You can transfer money to someones bank by email, I have done this sending money and receiving payments.

Interac e-Transfer

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Guy's every time you write a check someone has your name, address and bank account number. Whats the big deal?

Gary

timwhit likes this.
  14. Bank transfer,safe for you and safe for the person you are doing business. HRP

upspirate likes this.
  15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Us Yanks are just not used to the World Market of parts and selling.
    10 years ago when we were in Australia, we were kinda surprised to see buying and selling being handled through bank transfers, as we would never do it in the US. Need a part? Hand over cash. Found a killer deal on Wednesday and the part is two hours away, you would sweat that you would make it to the part before someone else would swoop down and get your deal. That is the way we were raised.
    I would except money directly into my bank account,from a friend in Aus. to buy something for him here, but I would never do it buying something for myself.
    So for all you guys "Out there" we just aint used to it and maybe with some education we in the US might move into The World Market, especially when our dollar is strong.
    If ever again.

16. HiHelix

HiHelix

Depending on what you call big.... small purchases 1-1500 medium 1501-2500 large 2501- up....... 3000 and up... in person n exceptions
    In God We Trust................... All others pay cash....

timwhit likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Most banks have links to electronic transfer services.
    You can send and receive money electronically and deposit or draw from your account easily.
    At least Canadian banks do.
    Services like Interac etc.

One of the things that upset me and never ceases to amaze me is the relatively backwards practices of some US banks.
    Specifically down in Texas.
    Since my wife is from there, and we spend time there every year we have the need for some banking services.

When you go into any Canadian bank they will do things like currency exchange or electronic transfers etc. A full range of financial service.
    Canadian banks will also keep some US $ or other currencies on hand for exchange.

Down in Texas a lot of the banks will have nothing to do with something like currency exchange.
    If you walk in to change Canadian money to US they look at you like you have 3 eyes :D
    They will have nothing to do with you.
    I'm always amazed at the lack of service they offer and how basically backwards they are compared to what I'm used to here. :)

18. From numerous threads like this on the Garage Journal I would say the U.S. is about 5-10 years behind the rest of the world with it's banking practices when it comes to technology. Things like chipped and pinned credit cards, portable credit card machines, e-transfers etc are things that seem like they are just now starting to be used in the U.S. where most countries have been using them for years. Add to that a hobby that consists manly of older people who are often slow to accept and use new practices and you are fighting a bit of an uphill battle.

Blue One likes this.
  19. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I still save S&H green stamps....

Alaska Jim, 47ragtop and H380 like this.
  20. There is also a lot of us that don't like the idea of our car automotive history leaving are country. So when it comes to selling out of country we don't have any experience with it and now we need to give info to somebody we have no idea who they are and if they can be trusted. Then there is the big US GOVERNMENT that has the IRS look at your bank account and wonder how and why you just got a 40000 dollar wire transfer. Now they want their taxes from a 80 year old car that we spent 5 years building from swap meet parts that we payed cash for and sold it to start the next build. So that's why cash is king here in the us. We pay cash for it and we want cash back. At least that's how I am. I don't trust us banks at all. That's why there is paypal and such ways to handle money so there is always a paper trail and the government will get there cut on your hard earned money. Cash to cash they can't regulate so they come up with all the computer ways to know exactly how much money we have. That's why every company like paypal has fees. They have to pay the government taxes on all money transactions. That's why I don't use computer transactions. I only deal in cash or postal money orders. Call me lame but at least the spy's don't know what I got going on....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, we Texans are lined up around the block needing Louies to spend cause Canada is just next door. Credit cards have made cash conversion a niche market. Still a regular thing in countries with protectionist currency policy. I wish I had bought dollars with dinars when I was in Kuwait.

22. What's a Louie? This guy isn't on our dollar.o_O:D
    louie-anderson-photo-credit-neil-visel.jpg

Blue One likes this.
  23. All the guy needs to do is go to his bank and ask a few questions,they have done it thousands of times and guide you through it in a mater of minutes. HRP

24. 73RR

73RR

For those who worry about someone accessing their bank account (which is nearly impossible) then open a new account for just that transaction. When the deal is done then close the account. I do it just that way on a somewhat regular basis...the credit union folks couldn't care less how many accounts I have as long as they get their $35 wire transfer fee.

mrquickwhip and timwhit like this.
  25. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Any time I've bought a car from guys on here I've always given them my full name and home address for them to check me out and I've always told them I'm happy for them to open an account with a dollar so that I can send money then they can withdraw the money so that they know it's not a scam before I arrange collection. I've never been burned and the sellers are happy.

26. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Its Not A "LOUIE" Its Called a LOONIE which took the place of the One Dollar Bill. We Also Have The TOONIE which Took The Place Of The Two Dollar Bill. That Is the Reason Canadians Are Always Pulling Up Ther Pants. Too Much Weight In Their Pockets.

Alaska Jim likes this.
  27. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I know that my local bank once wanted a processing fee to handle any incoming bank wires, so that was a no-go for me at the time and I never looked back afterwards. For international payments, I found that Western Union money transfers were free to receive (though they charged the sender a fee on the other end). That is what I last accepted from international, except for Canada. Canada can send a Canadian Postal Money Order in USA funds, which I can then cash for green cash at my local USA Post Office with no fees charged me. No bank fees for either option, either...

But all this isn't why I no longer will ship to any country outside of USA/Canada. It's the outrageous mailing fees which have killed my interest in doing so. It wasn't like this 10 short years ago, but they are outrageous now. What happens is, I get the items all packed up, only to find out that the overseas buyer doesn't want to pay the high mailing costs (totally understandable), but I get soaked for my time/effort/packaging materials only to have the deal killed. Sometimes even letting the runner-up USA buyer lose interest in the process, someone who might have purchased the item in the interim. It doesn't help that I could still sell within the USA later, as the next buyer that comes along invariably wants more pictures of the item than I had previously taken... so it all has to be unpacked again. Major pain in the rearend... so after 3 or 4 times in a row of all this, I just don't even consider shipping overseas anymore.
    On the other hand, I have had a couple overseas buyers that paid in Western Union money transfers and had a temporary USA mailing address... which I am cool with. But pretty much all the other problems I have have had to learn to eliminate from the start. It is unfortunate, as I once sold a good amount of stuff to nice overseas folks... but no longer. The costs from money transactions and shipping options have effectively killed all that off due to the burden they place on both myself and my potential buyers. Something had to give...

28. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

I sold a car to Finland. Went to my bank and they gave me a wire transfer number, attached to my account. Gave that to the buyer and all went smooth as butter....

29. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still think it strange in this world of mistrust that In the USA they still accept cheques from anyone and hope they do not bounce.
    Down here my check book has sat in the bottom of my desk for years unused. Most all payments are electronic or cash.
    For international small parts purchase PayPal is the way to go from our end, then we don't need to go to town to do the complicated western union fuss.
    International shipping can be expensive but we know that and if you want the part you just have to pay up for shipping.

30. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

John Beresford Tipton ??? Who is that? you must be a millionaire !! lol