Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for short Vega pitman arm

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Sep 23, 2014.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Can't seem to find anyone who makes a shorter Vega pitman arm. Stock length is 6 1/4" long, and I'm looking for one that is about 5 1/4" long. Trying to get the pitman arm back from the tie rod slightly so when we lower the car, the two don't crash into each other. It's very frustrating that when looking at the various suppliers of pitman arms, they usually don't list the length, or the material they are made of. If they are made out of the right material, they could be bent to make the length slightly shorter. Don't want to move the welded on bracket back, if we can get a shorter arm.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. r2c1

r2c1

I have one that is shorter that Pete & Jake built for me. I did not use it . Will have to dig it up and measure but it close to that.

4. butch27

butch27

Spirit T buckets makes them.

5. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

You're gonna slow down and already very slow steering box.

6. A Boner

A Boner

Thanks butch27, I'll check their website.

7. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

I can shorten and drill and taper the hole if you can't find a factory built short arm...

8. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

If it was mine, I'd just shorten it. Not just anyone should do this but any halfway decent welding shop (or welder) should be able to.

9. BTTT
    Anybody know of any *another* source for a shorter Vega pitman arm?
    Spirit doesn't seem to have them.

10. threewindow

threewindow

I have shortened several of them. I just take a stock one and go back behind the hole to leave enough meat and drill a new hole. I taper it from the top so the tyrod is on the top side to give it more ground clearance. It makes them about an inch shorter. Does'nt seem to make any differance in the steering radius.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just an option. If you don't need an offset this type can be cut and re-drilled for your drag link. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Just Gary likes this.
  12. Mo rust

Mo rust

I just drill the hole where I want it and ream it. I have one that is 5 inches that I ran on my roadster for 10 years before I made one a little longer for it. I got tired of it taking so many turns to go lock to lock. pitman1.jpg pitman2.jpg