Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage types of wire loom plugs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Katuna, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Trying to find some kind of 3 conductor plug assembly for our distributor wiring. It's a Joe Hunt dist. with a single loose [​IMG]lead and a 2 conductor plug. It's one of those trailer type plugs. Looking for something a little nicer that will look correct. Don't want a big, ugly Molex plug.

I'm wrapping the loom with hockey tape (which I really like the results) so the wire won't be exposed if I don't want it to be. Looked around on line but all you get are modern type plugs.

What is the reason they run the wires separately? The brown is the tach lead. Is there a reason why they can't all be run in the same plug? I do have some weather tight plugs at work we use on chiller sensors. It's a modern looking plug but it's fairly small and black. I think it'll take 14 ga.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

3. squirrel

squirrel

look up "Jones Plug"

4. When I am stumped for a plug I use a terminal block. They are simple and have been around about forever. War surplus blocks were commonly used in old cars after the war.

[​IMG]

dana barlow, LostBoy and 1927graham like this.

5. Jiminy

Jiminy

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Read OP's request again ;)

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Pretty neat. My cities old time electronic store has those.

8. squirrel

squirrel

uh....Steve...you don't seem to get it. He doesn't want modern high tech plastic crap. He wants good old fashioned electric stuff, like we used to use. Weather tight connectors in cars are something that came along about the time that computers invaded.

9. No, I do 'get it', but that Jones plug is the wrong part; those are designed to be used on electronics chassis and aren't something I'd used in an engine compartment or is it rated for it. A certain amount of 'Mickey Mousing' will be needed to make it work in any case. The Deutsch would be fairly small and unobtrusive...

If you want something truly 'vintage', look at Cannon-style plugs. Originally appearing in the late '40s, these have been in common usage since the early '50s through today. Look for a set with a locking ring and a seal. These are fairly bulky though. Pretty common in military use, so you have a semi-post-war 'military surplus' connection here.

Actually, what he has is about as 'vintage' as it gets. Automotive plug connections were very rare prior to the early '50s, and when they first showed up, they looked like what he has...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  10. squirrel

squirrel

When did Ford start using molded bullet connectors? They had them in 55, but I don't recall what they had earlier.

WWII radio stuff is full of MS round connectors (Cannon style, as you call them). It would look pretty neat if he could find some that would work.

But the Jones type plugs were used on automotive sound stuff back in the 50s, eh? That's what my Globe CB radio has....

11. I think Ford started using those bullet connectors when they made the switch to plastic insulation (52? I know the '50 Ford I had still had cloth-covered wire, and either the '52 or '54 I owned had plastic IIRC and at least some plug connectors). Initially, they were all single conductor, and used plug-in 'terminal blocks' for multiple wires. The terminal blocks weren't sealed though, and could degrade over time. The multi-conductor plugs showed up later (early 60s IIRC).

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

One more thing is that hockey tape is a poor choice to wrap wiring.
    The glue makes an awful mess and breaks down over time.
    If you need to get at the wires later you will hate yourself when you see the sticky mess you will have to deal with as will the next guy if you sell the car.
    A better choice is actual cloth wiring tape.
    http://www.tesatape.com/industry/automotive/electrical_systems/wire_harnessing

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  13. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I was looking at cannon plugs but they're pretty bulky. I can't seem to find a female Jones plug that isn't panel mounted.

I appreciate the input guys.

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try Cannon. We had many in the power plants built in the early 50's. A little bulky but has some class if you use an Adel clamp to hold them.

15. squirrel

squirrel

My 59 edsel has several molded multi pin connectors. Which makes it fun to fix things, like wires that go through these 8 pin bulkhead molded connectors.

Can you make a little mounting tab to secure the Jones receptacle?

or maybe use a GX16-3 connector? it is also panel mount, but not so bulky.

gx16.jpg

16. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

17. What I'd do is splice the existing wires longer, slip them inside a 'vintage' cloth loom, then hide the plug back at the firewall.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Hmm, kinda like those.

If you guys look at my pic, my loom is done up to the point of connection at the dist. pigtail. I wanted the plug there as it made everything else really clean and if I need to pull the dist it's just one plug. Didn't want a panel mount. I brought my looms for the driver and pass side looms through panels I made to enclose the open space on each side ahead of the toeboard. I'll see if I can find a pic.

19. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Well, I couldn't find a pic that you really see well. If you look at this pic though you can see how it fits in the front corners below the firewall and ahead of the toeboard. Nothing coming through the firewall. [​IMG]

20. The problem you have is what you want doesn't really exist. Plug connectors didn't start coming into general usage until the '50s, and what little was available earlier was designed for use in reasonably clean, dry environments with the exception of some military/aviation stuff. And those were designed to use multi-conductor cable, not individual wires, so sealing the plug and gripping the wires is going to be a problem. Not insurmountable problems, but getting a 'clean' install will be very tough.

21. 1Bad67

1Bad67

22. squirrel

squirrel

The GM Packard 56 series flat terminals started life in the mid 50s, I think. Probably around 1956? there were some strange variations before they settled down on the design of the ones in that link. A bit of place on a flathead.

23. gas pumper

gas pumper

I was stumped with the Cannon plugs til the picture showed up. In the east they are called Amphenol, That might be spelled wrong, Made in Wallingford, CT and used by commercial and military. I've seen 2 to as-many-as-you-need conductor ones. I believe WW2 and onward.

Interesting thread, even if we don't solve the OP problem !

24. squirrel

squirrel

They are usually called MS Circular connectors....several companies made/make them. Cannon and Amphenol are two of the big ones.

25. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Google Image search for cannon plug
    https://www.google.com/search?q=can...J6CYKHRRyCWwQsAQIeA&biw=1536&bih=764&dpr=1.25

Literally THOUSANDS of different connectors. Each with different Pin sizes for different current capacities. Mostly aircraft. But a lot of new Class 1 Div 2 (Explosion Proof) stuff has come out in the past decade. Look on Ebay. You can find them used pretty cheap. Look at the solder on connectors. The crimp on pins need special pins, crimp tools and pin removal tools. Look for a bulkhead connector designed to be mounted to a panel. You better brush up on your soldering skills also.

26. squirrel

squirrel

the tricky part is always finding two that match.

You can buy them new from electronics component houses like mouser, digikey, etc.

27. Dennis D

Dennis D

Look at some connectors for old British bikes. Been a long time since I did my Triumph, but they had some single wire bullet connectors that look old timey and sealed well. D

28. Amphenol connectors are really great. High quality and tough but pricey. I've used them when building power cord umbilicals for power supplies. But instead consider a XLR connector and matching socket. Thin and streamlined and locking. Reasonable price.

29. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I was looking on the Amphenol site earlier. Maybe I'll get one of those 100+ pin connectors.

I have the crimpers for the pins. I use them for work. I may end up using the weathertite Amp plugs. Not what I want but it's black and will blend in I guess.

I think I worry too much. I mean hell, radial tires, right?

Johnny Gee likes this.