Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where to find a copy of California vehicle code?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Nov 15, 2016.

1. evintho

evintho

Yeah, I know that's a broad question however, the time is nearing to where I'll have to get the roadster down to CHP for a VIN assignment and then over to a certified brake and light inspection station to make sure everything is compliant with the Calif VC. I need to know what the CHP and inspection station will be looking for. I.E. turn signals, bumpers, fenders, etc. none of which the roadster has, nor came with (except for fenders) in 1927. The car will be titled as a 1927 Ford. Please don't say 'check the CADMV website' as it's just a labyrinth of legalize. Any help or links are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. cretin

cretin

3. There are apps that you can download to your phone Complete CaVC for 3 or 4 bucks

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'd use one o' them new-fangled "search engines" I keep hearing about on this thing called "the internet".

Tman, lothiandon1940 and cretin like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That thing is just another one of them fads the kids are into.

6. evintho

evintho

Thank you very much! Yeah, I probably should have Googled it first, my bad!

Here's my next question.
    Section 24951 b1:
    "passenger vehicles, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958."

The car was clearly manufactured prior to 1958 and I'm sure it was first registered sometime after 1927 but before 1958. No paperwork on the car when I first bought it. The problem is when I first bought the car I went to DMV and had it entered into their system as a 1927 Ford using the SB100 rule. California allows 500 cars per year to fall under SB100 meaning it can be smog exempt and titled under the year of manufacture. I was given a temporary VIN and will receive a new/permanent VIN once CHP looks it over. With a new VIN will they claim it has a new VIN therefore, it's a new car so this will be a new registration process or, can I argue the car was first registered sometime after 1927 but before 1958?? I'm sure there's no DMV records confirming that!
    They make it so difficult!

(a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.
    (b) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.

(1) Motortrucks, truck tractors, buses and passenger vehicles, other than motorcycles, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958.
    (2) Trailers and semitrailers manufactured and first registered between December 31, 1957, and January 1, 1969, having a gross weight of 6,000 pounds or more.
    (3) Trailers and semitrailers 80 or more inches in width manufactured on or after January 1, 1969.
    (4) Motorcycles manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1973, except motor-driven cycles whose speed attainable in one mile is 30 miles per hour or less.

The requirements of this subdivision shall not apply to special mobile equipment, or auxiliary dollies.
    (c) Turn signal lamps on vehicles manufactured on or after January 1, 1969, shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches.

7. cretin

cretin

For the smog exemption, your car will end up being registered as "the vehicle it most closely resembles". It is a new VIN, but you've gotta jump through some hoops. CHP, Bureau of automotive repair, and a Brake/tail light inspection.
    They are going to want you to have tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals. They are also going to want you to have a PCV system when you go to the BAR. When we did my dads car, I set up a temp. one, as well as temp tail lights as they didn't like the ones we were running.
    It's not really that tough. Here are a couple site about info on the process (Which I also found from Google)

http://home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776/SB100_Registration.pdf

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulleti...Registering-Your-Car-Under-California-–-SB100

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Search under dumb ass tree hugging idiots. :D

Tman likes this.
  9. I did a 29 RPU about 3 years ago under the SB100. Brake and light inspection were easy but did require high and lo beam, hi beam indicator, brake and taillights and functioning turnsignals. They then checked that the foot brake would old the car as they pushed on it and same with the E-Brake. As for the smog inspection, they go by the engine NOT the year of the car. This one had a 2300 Pinto 4 banger with side draft Weber's, we had to add a PCV valve and we were good to go. Somehow it has since fallen off.
    Overall it was pretty easy - it is registered as a 29 Ford and no further smog inspections are required.

10. Back before the Internet I found one in my local public library.

Charlie Stephens

11. evintho

evintho

cretin.......a thousand thank you's!!!!! EXACTLY what I was looking for!! I also gotta give props to 'camoit' on the 'MightyRam50' board for his post. I sat down with my morning coffee and did some serious reading. I especially liked the 'Equipment Requirements for Remanufactured and SPCNS Vehicles' right from the CHP themselves and the holy grail............the direct phone # to the head honch at DMV who oversees the SPCNS and SB100 programs! Good stuff! All my questions have been answered! I may have to do a bit of modification on the roadster but basically I'm pretty close with CHP, DMV and BAR. Now I just have to figure out how to shed some weight to meet the 1500 lbs limit so I can go fenderless!

12. wow you guys make it hard on your self's.

13. evintho

evintho

Yeah, but the tradeoff is......I live in paradise!

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We can surf in the early morning, and snowboard in the afternoon, on the same day, all while driving a hot rod, or motorcycle 365-days-a-year.

It sucks. Stay away.

clunker and cretin like this.
  15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What frame is under that thing?

16. evintho

evintho

Homemade. 2"x3" rec tubing.

[​IMG]

17. TA1000

TA1000
    from so cal

Hey Evintho, how hard was getting the sb100 vin number? When I read the requirements it sounds like you have to have a receipt for every major component, frame,engine,trans,rear end. I am getting close to start having to deal with registration.

18. evintho

evintho

You'll receive the SB100 sequence # when you go to DMV in January. You'll need the 4 forms filled out properly that I reference in my original thread below. Be patient and remain calm. You'll be there for a minute. Once you receive the sequence # your next step is to visit the CHP. They assign the permanent VIN number. Make an appointment. They're 1-2 months out. That's where you'll need receipts and such. Apparently, they wanna make sure the car isn't built with stolen parts. I'm not there yet, that's my next step.

Here's my original thread on the subject...........
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-exempted-today-in-california-no-less.433178/

Here's another one, also very helpful.............
    http://home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776/SB100_Registration.pdf

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No problem, Texas rules anyway :cool:

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some guys never learn.

Get your paperwork plan in-place BEFORE you start your build.

I don't know how many miracles I have left.

21. I was going to reply to an original 1927 car (titled), but I'm not 100% on the SB100 cars. I can say that the rules are vague and leaves a lot of room for personal interpretation by the mechanic at the brake and lamp station. I did them for about 6 years and even the BAR couldn't answer some of the questions I had.......of course I got license and started doing them because of old cars.

BTW they used to give out the previous years code book free at the DMV, not sure if they do anymore.