Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds and Chevy rear axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Coughlin, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin

Hi, I was wondering if anybody know if the rear axles in the 54 to 56 olds rocket 88's were the same as the rear axles in the 53 and 54 Chevys. I want to do an engine swap and open driveline conversion and was hoping to be able to use the whole driveline. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Joe, it is really doubtful for sure. I do not have a Hollanders to check but there can't be any comparison between the torque of a 324 Olds V8 and that small Chev 6. Back in the day many drag racers used the Olds rear ends which would indicate that they were pretty strong and capable of using the torque generated by there power plant. You never saw anyone transplanting a Chev 6 rear into there drag car FWIW. I suspect that the entire Olds rear will be a bit wider than the OE unit but I am certain that there are other rears that would work.
    Perhaps if you give us some more info on the build others will then chime in.

3. squirrel

squirrel

they are quite different....

mad mikey likes this.
  4. belair

belair

The Olds and Pontiacs were both popular swaps. Since Pontiac had the same body shell as Chevy, the rear end might be an easier fit.

5. Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin

I think you read me backwards. I'm looking to take the straight 6, 3 speed and the torque tube rear axle out of the Chevy and put in a 324 olds rocket with a power glide and an open driveline backend. So my question is will the olds reared swap into the Chevy or would it just be easier to grab a 55-57 Chevy rear axle and put that in. Thanks

6. Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin

I know the olds looks like a bigger car on top, but from pictures I've seen of the underside they look to have the same or similar chassis. Both are GM cars and I though maybe they would have shared components.

7. squirrel

squirrel

You should be able to swap in the Olds rear. You may have some fun figuring out a few parts of the swap, and the wheel bolt pattern will be different, but it should work out ok.

8. The Chevy and Olds rears are 60" wide.
    You will have to change spring pads or change the center bolt mount.
    I installed a 57 Chevrolet rear in my 53 Chevrolet very happy.

I have a 55-56 housing backing plates/drums, and axles with new bearings and an an new axle bearing in the box. Smaller axle bearing than 57-64.
    Link-
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ew-axle-bearing-in-box.1000954/#post-11737615

I also have a complete Olds/Point. rear.
    Link-
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/olds-pont-rear.1031762/

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Tri-Five Chevrolet complete rearend will go right in, after re-drilling the spring pin locator hole 1 1/2 inches forward and 1 inch inward on the spring pads welded to the rear end housing. A 57 Pontiac housing would also go in the same way; the rest require moving spring pads, re-drilling the pin locator holes, etc. I'm more curious about the 324 olds engine and a "Powerglide" transmission. Is this using an adapter and an aluminum Powerglide? Why not a 3 speed automatic? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

10. Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin

Thanks for the info. Made a mistake on the original post, it's not a power glide, it's a 4 speed hydra matic, stock trans on the Oldsmobile 88. You just have to drill the spring pad on the axle, that doesn't seem too bad. Do you have any pics?

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sorry, no pics,but Google should have something for you. Cast iron 4-speed Hydro is a lot better than the cast iron Powerglide; even the aluminum Powerglide on the street. Finding the correct U-joints may be the bigger problem, unless you have a driveshaft shop to build you one. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. Joe Coughlin

Joe Coughlin

Thanks. The driveshaft issue is why I was hoping the rear end from the Oldsmobile would go in so I could put the whole drivetrain in and maybe only have to worry about shortening the driveshaft.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The Olds/Pont U-joints are different 56 and prior, 57 and later. The earlier style has bolt-on trunnions/cups, later pressed in and clip retained. There are conversion U-joints for the later style to take Olds/Pont to Chevrolet (2 Chev, 2 Olds/Pont cups). Not sure what the Chevrolet truck Hydros used or if they would work or not.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.