Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Praying for our New Zealand family...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1stGrumpy, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Glad to hear you are OK Jeff, I was thinking of you over there today. As i was typing this we were having a 3.8 shake at Sedden.:eek: JW

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. For anybody who wants to see how much the place is moving and continuing to move check here - http://www.canterburyquakelive.co.nz/ - or here - http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/today - with this one scroll the map to see the country a bit further north of Christchurch, where most of the quakes have been happening. The first two happened only a few seconds apart. Tonight's TV said each had movement in a different direction which explains the severity of damage.

Some pics here - https://www.facebook.com/pg/NBROnline/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1253421208012273

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Best wishes to everyone over there. Bob

kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  4. Thanks Bob, in the last half hour we have had a couple of good shakes, I think this will go on for a while. Just hope we have seen the biggest. JW

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. There's been some little aftershocks, since I jumped on here.
    Now the kids all about it, and dosent want to go to bed.
    Any excuse.....

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  6. Im a little anxious to go to sleep too, Mrs W is rather freaked by it all. JW

7. deadbeat

deadbeat

Just would like to say a big thank you for your concerns up there in the Northern Hemisphere. We here in Wellington (North Island) are ok but unfortunately not so for some of our South Island peeps. They are still rumbling as I type so another long night ahead. Again thank you.

1stGrumpy, USMercUte, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  8. Cooon

Cooon

With the amount of damage and seeing what has gone on round the country, mainly Wellington and East Coast of South Island its quite amazing more people didn't die or even injured. Guess part of that is the fact it happened at midnight.

Third biggest quake in NZ history they have said. Dare I say my house survived the biggest 85 years ago.

Hope all is well for those down south

9. We have had bigger just not in the last 100 years, I don't want to see anymore big ones. JW
    Edit; the largest recorded quake in New Zealand was an 8.2 in the Wairarapa ( that's where I live) in 1855.:eek:o_O

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  10. Just for my twisted sence of sorta keeping this thread in the Hamb spirit of old....
    Napier, 1931.
    North Island. images (1).jpg earth-hastings.jpg napier-earthquake.jpg

Old pic of Christchurch cathedral, and newer pic of after quake five odd years ago.
    South Island.
    6944701781_c8579f67db_o.jpg images.jpg

11. Sad pics Jeff, the Napier quake was 7.8, what made it really bad was it kept going for one and a half minutes. JW

12. I won't hit the like button on that Jeremy, last night was long enough. Can't imagine a ninety second one.

Guess all the cars pictured ended up at the dump.
    Anyone want to play the ID game?

13. I used to know what the shell tanker was and I think the car behind it is a Dodge. All I can say about the burnt one is it had very nice lines and was a near new car. JW

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  14. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The Napier earthquake shares 1st= with the Fiordland Quake in 2009 which was also 7.8
    The only damage in the Fiordland quake was a few trees shook the possums out of them ,and frightened a few deer.
    The reported energy release was compared to "500 million tonnes of TNT,[and] 25,000 times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki in 1945".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Fiordland_earthquake

Unfortunately [or Fortunately] I missed all this "Rock'n'roll" because I'm stuck in China until mid December.
    I phoned home and everyone was OK.

https://nz.news.yahoo.com/video/wat...on-tower-of-land-created-by-earthquake/#page1

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    26 T Ford RPU, kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  15. carryallman

carryallman

my prayers and hopes for your safety -god bless ! not sure where my friend philip key -lives ? take care !

16. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Phillip Key lives in Tauranga [North Island] he'll be OK

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  17. Thoughts go out to you guys, I saw some pretty bad damage.

deadbeat, kiwijeff and 26 T Ford RPU like this.