Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Most Beautiful Flathead Manifold - Eddie Meyer it is!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bored&Stroked, Nov 11, 2016.

?
  1. Eddie Meyer

41.9%
  2. Edelbrock

10.3%
  3. Navarro

8.1%
  4. Offenhauser

3.7%
  5. Sharp

3.7%
  6. Weiand

2.9%
  7. Evans

2.2%
  8. Edmunds

7.4%
  9. Thickstun

13.2%
  10. Cyclone

0.7%
  11. Other . . .

5.9%
  1. Okay - I have a shit-pot of flathead manifolds (and I've owned, sold, looked at, drooled over . . . a shit-pot more). So - today I'm working on my 1932 FlatCab 42 Merc engine - adjusting valves, new oil pan, etc.. Decided I just had to manually clean/polish the intake again - can't even believe I'm doing it. (What a fricking dork!)

Think about it - the only reason I can even stand that manual polishing crap is because of ALL the manifolds I've ever seen - not a DAMN ONE tops this as far as being an example of fantastic vintage design, smooth curves with Art Deco style (and a logo by George DuVall it seems). It is a quintesential work of art - metal fxxxing jewelry if you ask me. Just absolute beauty (form) - and function . . . as it happens to run very well. (PS: I don't build 'beauty queen' flatheads - they need to make a loud and noisy statement when they enter a venue - and they better haul ass!)

So I polished away . . . a miserable job on any other day . . . but for some reason this work of art makes that all okay. I must have broken a blood vessel in my reptilian brain - cause I actually enjoyed this aluminum polishing-masterbation bullshit . . .

If you have a contender that you think is better - post away . . . cause I don't think you can beat this Eddie Meyer manifold (nothing I have is even close . . . and I have 'a few' to choose from :)).

2016-11-11 15.57.23.jpg

Duvall.jpg

This one manifold just exemplifies the reason that we love vintage HotRods and this innovative period of HotRod design.

I only wish I knew you Eddie - cause my HotRod Brother, you made some fine shit . . .

Future Crap . . . I just may need to find a way to rework and run my ancient Eddie Meyer heads - cause this manifold just deserves to be in the company of his beautiful and unique family of hotrod parts. Stay tuned - we'll see if I can possibly make them work with my big-ass roller cam . . . . :)

Enjoy!
    B&S

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. Slopok

Slopok

I would say jewelry pretty much sums it up!:cool:

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Damn fine for sure.

4. What's that ol saying all show no go. Guess we can't say that with this nasty roller cam motor. Looks nice dale almost have to hire a full time detailer to keep that beauty pretty. I have to agree that intake is the best looking and you nailed it with the Art Deco.
    How was the valves? Did they loosen up at all? Post a video when it's all back up and running, can't get enough of the way it sounds.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's pretty nice, for sure, but there are a lot of nice lookin' manifolds out there, so I would find it hard to make a definitive choice. On the other hand, I will say that I consider Edmunds manifolds to be the ugliest out there; especially the "regular" dual carb ones. The long front "stretch" on them looks very awkward to me.

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Frenzel centrifical IMHO:D:D

[​IMG]

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG][​IMG]
    McCulloch would be a close second
    [​IMG]

8. What variety of supercharger is that? Very early McCulloch?
    Its so smooth and sexy!

9. Yes - those early superchargers are real contenders as well . . . love the pattern work that went into their castings. In today's world of 3D CAD and modern pattern making, we just don't see the wonderful curves and designs like we used to.

I only wish I had learned to make mahogany patterns from an old "Master" - would be cool to know how to do that work. Another great design example is the whole Ardun design - the valve covers alone are worth staring at for hours. I have a set of full-size blue-prints for the Arduns - they're done so well and are works of art unto themselves.

Keep the posts coming boys . . . nice stuff!

10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

One of three Hollywood made and will not be reproduced HOLLYWOOD 2015 013.JPG .....

11. alchemy

alchemy

I like Thickstun intakes, especially with the accompanying heads, covers, and air filter.

stanlow69 and LOU WELLS like this.
  12. Was that actually produced by Eddie . . . or was it made afterwards by somebody else? I never saw him use fins like that on any other manifold. Can you send me a picture of the EM logo in the middle - am curious how it looks.

Thanks!
    D

13. Very nice - is that an original one or a repop? Funny that we both have a EM manifold and Navarro heads. I'm thinking of seeing if I can get my EM heads to work . . . as I'd really like to run them. He made very few sets of his original 39-48 patterns - some say like around a dozen or so. Who the heck really knows.

14. My vote is Edelbrock SlingShot. IMPOSSIBLE to not like this setup by Nealinca
    Engine_LHS_Nov_2007.jpg

15. Here is my setup, someday I will have the coin to put a rotating assembly in it
    [​IMG]

16. Yep, that engine is a real beauty and I agree that the Eddy Slingshot is one beautiful manifold . . . another creation right before WW2. Seems these guys really had some style at that point.

17. It's a repop from Speedway. I couldn't afford a original lol.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. flatford39

flatford39

Would love it if you could expound on how you hand polish. I have an aluminum intake and heads that I need to polish and would like any direction you can give.

19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'm in the edelbrock slingshot camp. a 1930s design that not only looks good, but still is one of the best performers out there!

20. captain j

captain j

21. Looks like the best one out there to me Dale....Love it as it looks like a diamond in the sun...

22. Nobey

Nobey

You must have blocked the manifold to get it that nice, looks fantastic Dale.....

23. intakes....Navarro....had the show.......and the proven go....for carbs....

LOU WELLS likes this.
  24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

This manifold was produced for three high end flathead collectors and I was lucky to end up with one and no it is not old but has the correct Eddie Meyer logo and permission....

25. AULIZ

AULIZ

I have seen here in Finland Harrell 2carb intake with text "tornado" (early production). I liked that, maybe very rare?
    I have original Thickstun pm-7 in my twin plug 21bolt flathead. I know that it´s not best choise if think aobut max HP, but outlook is good and enough hp for +50y old hot rodder.

Aulis

26. jvpolvere1

jvpolvere1

I think they're all beautiful. The EVANS is especially nice.

Sent from my SM-T377V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Hankster32

Hankster32

I have one you have one who has the other one?

28. There still available
    http://www.montereyspeedandsport.com/catalog/?page=5

dwollam likes this.