Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The "lost" pics of my Dad's '53 Studebaker

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Sinister, Feb 4, 2013.

1. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

"The wagons are a little different. Even though they take the front sheet metal, the windshields are not the same. And like any Stude, parts are not easy to find. Fit and Finish is a big challenge as well."

Nope, sheetmetal only *looks* similar. 4" difference in wb, also. Only mechanical parts, n some interior pieces swap. Very few body parts swap, some trim items. Also had two different w/s. 'Flat' & wrap-around. Changed in mid-year. Pretty sure ''flat' w/s won't interchange w/cp/hrdtp, either.
    Still neat cars, just be careful.
    'Course, you *could* stretch the wb, add the cp/hrdtp front sheetmetal, w/a bunch of work, & get a very nicely proportioned wagon. Probably only one like it - & that'd be good, but it'd be serious fun watching the Stude folks figure it out... :D .
    Marcus...

Sinister likes this.
  2. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Thank you for that correction - I'm a plethora or misinformation :)

3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

As has been stated above, be sure you find donor parts from a '53 or '54 SEDAN if you pull the trigger on that '55 wagon.

Also, the '55 grille can be painted to make it a little less visually overwhelming. With the quality of chrome they were using at the time, that could be a good stop-gap solution (and cheaper!).

4. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Ok, Progress...

wiring. A lot of wiring.

I got my headlights, marker lights, grills all mounted up. Found out my horns are junk, but I did find a factory turn signal switch in my box of treasures. Score!

Spent a ton more time getting the front sheet metal to sit proper. I got the hood to latch without much effort but everything is still out of shape. I realigned my driver's door and now it doesn't latch, lol. If it's not one thing it's another, right?

I installed my new fuel sending unit and got it wired up and fixed my fuel pump wire issue while I was at it.
    I did get my headlight switch wired up, Ignition switch and cig/pwr socket installed.

Tomorrow will be more panel adjustment (yay) and a attempt to hook up more under-dash stuff.

Not much to show but a neat photo... IMG_2687.jpg